WW II photo...

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
JDH88

WW II photo...

Post by JDH88 »

Found this in a book I have recently acquired of a German soldier with a captured Mosin-Nagant sniper circa 1941. Haven't seen this type of scope mount on this site or sold on other sites, but then again haven't searched very hard. Are these type of scope mounts still around today? Most of the ones I see are a more vertical type mount. Interesting picture to me.

Edit* -- found out it's a 1939 PEM side rail (Tula). Learn something new every day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: WW II photo...

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Somewhere a snipers bones bleach in the sun.....
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

It's a side mount PEM sniper
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

I once had a neighbor who was drafted into the Wehrmacht mid war and did a lot of time on the Russian front. He got to the us after hopping the Berlin Wall in the mid 60s and getting through via the defector refugee pathway to citizenship. Anyway, as the tide was turning by the time the German army found itself fighting backwards he told me a lot of soldiers picked up the Russian guns because "there were so many of them in [our] possession and ammunition was plentiful. They were more simplified to field strip, accurate, and packed a heavier punch"

So pictures like this are cool to me because it almost verified everything the man told me.

Also According to the former neighbor, the Tokarev cartridge was a favorite due to it's ability to really penetrate extra layers of Russian winter gear and between the ppsh and occasional TT-33 being used against Russia the 91/30s started to become a huge favorite among snipers and seoldiers who didn't like their k98s.
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
Adaxco

Post by Adaxco »

I can't tell, but is the soldier a German?