A Treak Outside Mosin Country!!!

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jones0430

Re: A Treak Outside Mosin Country!!!

Post by jones0430 »

Well, since the thread has been well and truly hijacked, you haven't lives til you ate c-rats from green can. The two I really disliked were turkey loaf, and ham and Lima beans. In the winter, no matter which end of the ham and Lima beans you opened, you always got te end with all the congealed grease.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mosinmike17 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Lima beans and bolt lube, sounds like the makings of an MRE, there was a similar C rat years back that is better known as beans and motherf******'s. Never give the makers of military field rations any good ideas :)
That c ration was handed out after Katrina. While I managed to avoid the brunt of that storm those who didn't brought the mres up to the fraternity house back then and we made the pledges eat that particular ration if it's the one I'm thinking of. Bad, bad memories. Maybe that's why frog lube smells like mint chewing gum. Oh hell there's another idea for them. My fault when that's the future of c rats.
C rat's were canned military field rations, they vanished when MRE's were introduced in the early 1980's. The only place you will find them today is in museums under glass, during Katrina they handed out military MRE's and FEMA emergency ration packs, some questionable items in them, but not as bad as the C's
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

Sorry we hijacked your thread about your awesome acquisition with memories of such fine meals as green eggs and spam or beans and mfs.

Back on topic however if you don't mind my asking about how much did this potential shooter set you back? I just want to have a good frame of reference if my dream of stumbling across one comes true. JYD if he answers let me know if what he paid was seller error thinking it was Turkish and not German so I can expect to give more for the latter if I'm lucky enough. But yeah having not been in the collecting game or possibly on the planet when these were easier to find has definitely haunted me
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mosinmike17 wrote:Sorry we hijacked your thread about your awesome acquisition with memories of such fine meals as green eggs and spam or beans and mfs.

Back on topic however if you don't mind my asking about how much did this potential shooter set you back? I just want to have a good frame of reference if my dream of stumbling across one comes true. JYD if he answers let me know if what he paid was seller error thinking it was Turkish and not German so I can expect to give more for the latter if I'm lucky enough. But yeah having not been in the collecting game or possibly on the planet when these were easier to find has definitely haunted me
PM sent, as for the OP's rifle, this is a German rifle, it was sent to Turkey as war aid during WW1, and acquired a few Turkish markings during it's service there. The Turks had a program for fully rebuilding these rifles into something that was almost a Mauser, new Mauser style stock, and a barrel that was designed to use .323 bullets. You can tell these rebuilds right away by the lack of a barrel jacket and a wooden handguard in it's place. For history you want the OP's rifle, if it's a shooter you want then the Turk rebuild is best for you as it eliminates the bore question, and the chambers are cut closer to sammi spec. They all use the same antique receiver, and must have the same pressure reduced ammo to stay safe.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I don't mind the hijack - like I have never done that before :D A couple of years ago when I decided that I had better build up my food supply for the coming hard times, I first looked everywhere for C-Rats. I quite enjoyed them in the day. I remember we had a 50 gal drum on the fire boiling the water and we would just drop our cans in there. I guess anything is ok when you are hungry even if they were WWII surplus. Still have one of those can openers around someplace.

Anyway Mike, this rifle set me back $275 which I think was a steal.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Price range is In the zone, just, but in a year these will be selling for over $300. Attention is falling on them now because the Mauser's are all expensive today, and people are realizing that the '88 is a WW2 battle rifle even older than some early Mosins.
Theodore Roosevelt