Remington Repeating Shotgun and John Pedersen

Everything shotgun discussed here.
ZKend

Remington Repeating Shotgun and John Pedersen

Post by ZKend »

Picked up a Pre-Model 10 designation Remington Arms Co. repeating shotgun. Bottom load and eject, takedown model! Got it off of an older gentleman for $65 bucks, thought it was really cool. A little bit of time with some oil and a copper brush and it has a beautiful patina!

If you do not know already, the Model 10 was designed by John Pedersen, a highly under recognized and under appreciated gun designer for Remington (John Browning happened to be a huge fan "he was the greatest gun designer in the world" was one of Browning's quotes). He is most known for his "Pedersen device". It was an apparatus used with a Springfield 1903 to make it semi-automatic and fire a intermediate smaller cartridge fed from a magazine. Although it was produced in decently large numbers and had the potential to turn the tide of a battle with superior firepower it was poorly implemented and was noted to be awkward and obstructive to use, nearly all were destroyed post WW1. Pedersen's 45 ACP semi-automatic handgun was actually approved and reccomended for production (based on the Remington Model 51) when a last minute decision was made in favor of another firearm and machine shops were to re-tool for the M1911 handgun. After WW1 Pedersen developed a rival to the M1 garand, known as the "Pedersen rifle" or formally as the T1E3 rifle. The rifle was developed for the U.S. Army's need of a semi-automatic rifle and the then thought over-power issue of .30-06 cartridge for ranges 0-500yards. In the mid 1920's the .276 Pedersen round was developed and was slated to take the place of .30-06, later vetoed by MacArthur. Measured out to 7x51mm it was about a half inch shorter and a bit lighter that a 30-06 cartridge, it also produced nearly half the recoil and similar muzzle velocity. Both the round and the rifle had issues, armor piercing ability, a P08 style toggle and other numerous issues the testing procedures found. The .276 Pedersen garand was adopted (then changed to .30-06), though the rifle did receive some international interests namely with the Japanese. During the war he was involved with the M1 Carbine manufacturing facility "Irwin-Pedersen Arms Company", though the manufacturing facilities could not keep up to quota and they lost the contract. The other contractors took up the slack and took over production. Just over 3,500 Irwin-Pedersen M1 Carbines were produced, rare stuff right there!

Pedersen did have a number of civilian shotgun designs as well, even one which was collaborated with John Browning the Remington Model 17 (design was reformed into a few other later models of browning/ithica/remington shotguns).

Enjoy the info! Pics soon to follow.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Remington Repeating Shotgun and John Pedersen

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

P-H-O-T-O-S :) You know you will be asked 200 times.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ZKend

Post by ZKend »

Okay I got some pictures for you. The Remington Repeating Shotgun and a J. Stevens 5100
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very nice, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Love it!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

I have a pre UMC Remington model 10 I posted here on the forum a long time ago & I love it. Haven't shot it yet but it is a Peach. :biggrin:

:pointright: Remington Model 10
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I think I missed this old thread but these are great old guns. I like it.
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Nifty old guns! I scooped two at the last gunshow in Estevan, SK last weekend. One has Model 10 on the barrel, one doesn't. They seem to be identical. Both are pretty much wallhangers. I'll likely sell them to somebody who likes to tinker with old shotguns. I like the bottom feed and eject. :)
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler