Gander Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Vati66

Gander Mosin

Post by Vati66 »

I stopped into my local Gander Mountain last evening to take a look at what they had to offer for Mosins. They had about 20 on the rack, some in very poor condition. There was 1 1932 Tula Hex that was just in horrible shape. I decided to take a pass on that one. I asked one of the sales guys if he had anymore with a hex receiver in the back. He told he did and went and got the last one he had. 1926 Izhevsk hex in pretty nice shape. Some of you guys have said to grab the one that speaks to you, well this one spoke to me! I bought it and will post pictures tomorrow. I do have a question tho, How do you know if it's a ex-dragoon?

Scott
masonred

Re: Gander Mosin

Post by masonred »

Beaumont store had about 20 with 2 red letter ones, sold most of them over the black Friday weekend, even though the weekend not over.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. There aint a 91/30 anywhere near here cept in the gunroom. :cry: It is an ex dragoon because it was built in 26 before the 30s started production. They built the dragoons clear up to 32 and some say there are 33s around. They were then updated later to the 91/30 configuration with new front and rear sights. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Vati66 wrote:I stopped into my local Gander Mountain last evening to take a look at what they had to offer for Mosins. They had about 20 on the rack, some in very poor condition. There was 1 1932 Tula Hex that was just in horrible shape. I decided to take a pass on that one. I asked one of the sales guys if he had anymore with a hex receiver in the back. He told he did and went and got the last one he had. 1926 Izhevsk hex in pretty nice shape. Some of you guys have said to grab the one that speaks to you, well this one spoke to me! I bought it and will post pictures tomorrow. I do have a question tho, How do you know if it's a ex-dragoon?

Scott
This link will help id your mosin. http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRef02.htm
You can navigate around on that site and learn a lot. Click on the cartridge headstamp graphic at the top of that page for the homepage of that site.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Vati66

Post by Vati66 »

desdem12 wrote:Nice. There aint a 91/30 anywhere near here cept in the gunroom. :cry: It is an ex dragoon because it was built in 26 before the 30s started production. They built the dragoons clear up to 32 and some say there are 33s around. They were then updated later to the 91/30 configuration with new front and rear sights. :D
Ok so all pre 1930 are ex dragoons? I thought the Russians also reworked M91's into 91/30's also?

Scott
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Not all. They started the 91/30s in or about 1930 but continued building dragoons at the same time. I would say any rifle made before 1928 in dragoon length was in fact built as a dragoon and later updated. I would also speculate that most if not all of the 1928s are dragoons but would have to study the 29s to make the same statement. A far as the m91s there are few very very few known examples cut down to dragoon length and I would make sure and handle it before buying one. It is safe to say there are no m91s cut to 91/30s persay (few rare examples). Older ex dragoons in 91/30 shape were in fact dragoons and not m91s. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Vati, well done. I think you are the 2nd person on the forum to get a 26 Izhevsk from Gander Mountain this weekend.
mikeg1952

Post by mikeg1952 »

So, is a Dragoon a Carbine..?
What did the Calvary use..?
Vati66

Post by Vati66 »

I started a new thread with pics viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17602
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Dragoon is not a carbine. Dragoon :pointdown: And the cavalry used kossack rifles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.