Rescue Operation question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mosinmike17

Rescue Operation question

Post by mosinmike17 »

Skip to paragraph 2 to avoid background: So bad news, Big 5 in Vegas supposedly will no longer be stocking our lovelies. Meaning, the 91/30 and 38 I have are it as far as big box stores. I have not found a gun store that stocks them yet, and I'm trying to buy local before I bite the proverbial bullet and go with AIM Surplus or another supplier when the availability is there and I have a good transfer spot.(Good news: a local ammunition outfit that sells mostly online will sell me spam cans for 100 bucks picked up if I don't want to pay 80 and wait 10 days at our favorite spots..they told me to "tell my friends" so if anyone needs a source or the owners of the site would like to reach out to a potential ammunition advertiser, PM me)

This leaves me to use various classifieds pages or the bimonthly gunshows, which is fine because classifieds got my carbine. I am waiting on a picture, but an individual has done the unthinkable and "sporterized" a 91/30 with the ATI polymer stock. For 150 the rifle is mine with the original stock and everything else he got with it too. In reality I am unfortunately going to be paying for a stock I don't want but such is the case due to the Bubbas of the world.

Assuming all thats wrong with this Mosin is it needs to be ripped off the plastic aftermarket capitalist pig dog (lol btw im jk, im a republican) stock and put back on its original stock, is this something easily accomplished or is this gunsmith requiring? If its the latter I doubt I buy the rifle. Even though the thought of having one to just shoot the h out of because its already ruined to me is appealing, I, like others just want them original and left as is.

Thoughts?
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
pacanis

Re: Rescue Operation question

Post by pacanis »

If it was me, and he isn't far from you, I would drive their with a hundred dollar bill and it's take it or leave it. Tell him he can keep the sport stock, that you can buy Mosins all day long at 100 a pop and you're doing him a favor. I would also make sure he hasn't drilled it anywhere and still has the rear sight (if he took it off). Why pay $140 for one when you can order one in with shipping and transfer for less? That's what I'd do anyway. It's not like you are rescuing a dog. Let some other Bubba buy it for 140 so he doesn't trash one himself.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

If an ATI stock is the only modification done to it, it's completly (and easily) reversible. $150 is fair, ATI stocks usually run $60ish. You could sell the ATI for a decent price, or trade it down the line.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

You should still be able to find Mosins at local gun stores and pawn shops in the Vegas area. You could make him a low ball offer and the worst he could do is say no. I am inclined to suggest you pass on this one and continue to search for other possibilities in your area, but, it looks like you've already put some thought into it. Its obviously your call on what you decide to do :) I've found that looking around for mil-surplus rifles is a lot of fun and has a lot of potential for big rewards. And yep, you're right, most days you don't find anything.

Hell, maybe "Rick" has one and we can all watch you on TV as you bargain with him!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

"Rick" ain't allowed to sell modern firearms as he has no FFL for his business, I am told he fu**** up years ago and lost it. He would want to buy your 91/30 for $30 and sell it for $200 anyway.
$140 for a Bubba 91/30 is highway robbery, it's worth maybe $50 for parts, figure you will be spending another $100 or so for a proper stock handguard and bands, $240 for a refurb 91/30? Get yourself a C&R FFL and then you can buy from all over the country , the big retailers and other collectors on GB. The list of good finds I made using an FFL would be endless.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I'll buy the ATI stock from you. You said it comes with the original stock so I don't see a problem. You can switch the stock out as easy as you can clean the gun. I'll give you 40.00 for it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's got the stock with it? Missed that part. With Russell buying the plastic stock you will only be in it for a hundred, not to bad.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Things are starting to come together :)
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

Bubbas are now holding Mosins hostage. "Pay me $150 for it or I saw the barrel off." :roll:

This is one of those deals where you have to figure up the sum of its parts.

This rifle was probably a run-of-the-mill Ukrainian refurb, worth a hundred or so, in its assembled state. Even if you can positively determine that all the original parts come with this rifle, and nothing on it has been cut, drilled, or butchered, some assembly will be required, so deduct for that. That bubba stock might bring $25-$35 on evilbay.

Make your offer accordingly.
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shhhhhhh, Russells offering $40 for that stock :)
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Breathe...............breathe............breathe..........now count to ten.........oh sorry forgot to say grab a paper bag.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Well I don't have much to add to this except the ammo part. You don't have to wait 11 days for it to be delievered. You can get 1 440rd tin for $89.95 delivered from SGAmmo all day long and he ships fast. He's in Oklahoma so it would get to you in 3 maybe 4 days. For $10 I'd be able to wait but that's just me.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

SGAmmo has it on sale for like the past three months for $73.95 for 440 spam can of Russian. Shipping is reasonable too, it's be less than $100.
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

Thank you all for the advice. Went ahead and passed it up, seller did not respond to my inquiries anyway. Good things come to those who wait..as I stumbled across a 1938 Tula in another Big 5 and walked out for 119 out the door.

Image ill get pics of her up later tomorrow after all the cosmo bleeds out.

All 3 of them, sorry if my flag offends anyone, its an old georgia flag I use for resting things against the wall (havent decided how many slots my home build rack needs to be..so far it needs 3 and i just bought my first in december..)

“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

Also btw I use SGAmmo and it took from 12/27 to 1/9 for 1 440rd can.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

mosinmike17 wrote:Also btw I use SGAmmo and it took from 12/27 to 1/9 for 1 440rd can.
Yeah that's not normal. Depending on when you ordered that day I bet it was shipped the next day. Usually anything ordered by 3pm ships the next morning. When did the UPS tracking say it was picked up from them? You had the New Years weekend in there too as well as it's during the busiest shipping time even though it's a few days after Christmas. They were off for at least three days during that time too I believe. My point is that's not normal. I've ordered about 2000lbs of ammo from them in five or six orders and it's never taken more than 4 days. not counting weekends.
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

WeldonHunter wrote:
mosinmike17 wrote:Also btw I use SGAmmo and it took from 12/27 to 1/9 for 1 440rd can.
Yeah that's not normal. Depending on when you ordered that day I bet it was shipped the next day. Usually anything ordered by 3pm ships the next morning. When did the UPS tracking say it was picked up from them? You had the New Years weekend in there too as well as it's during the busiest shipping time even though it's a few days after Christmas. They were off for at least three days during that time too I believe. My point is that's not normal. I've ordered about 2000lbs of ammo from them in five or six orders and it's never taken more than 4 days. not counting weekends.
Yeah I knew the new years weekend was one to not count but the other few days were kinda meh-ish for me. I will use them for a few more then, otherwise, the local people for 20 bucks more is called Ventura. They do most of their sales online but are local here.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

well if you graduated from the USNA in Annapolis like he did, you could.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, that Georgia flag don't offend me, a local museum has one almost like it on display, captured during the states war by a local regiment :) It's got some holes in it. Nice '38 Tula, brass caps on the handguard? Hard to tell from the pic.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

mosinmike17 wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:
Yeah I knew the new years weekend was one to not count but the other few days were kinda meh-ish for me. I will use them for a few more then, otherwise, the local people for 20 bucks more is called Ventura. They do most of their sales online but are local here.
Well that's why I mentioned the tracking number. He sends them out religously. I always get them either that day or the next day depending on when I ordered something. If you look at that it will tell you when the tag was generated but more importantly when it was picked up by UPS and in their care. Unless he was swamped I'd be willing to bet that your package was in the custody of UPS for most of that time. If you look on his front page there's 2 pictures, one of part of the warehouse and the other was the day after a rally heavy sale weekend. He had a similar picture after Labor day with even more packages. I feel sorry for his UPS guys. My UPS guys loves delivering to me but has to work his butt off some deliveries. Then we get to talk guns and he loves that. There is one other thing I remember happening about time and he had to shut his whole website down but I believe that was the 28th when that started. It took all weekend to get it straightened out.