46 gr. Practice Ammo - Anyone have Experience

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
The Bolt Man

46 gr. Practice Ammo - Anyone have Experience

Post by The Bolt Man »

I just received 648 rounds of the 46 grain Chech practice ammo. Has anyone had any experience with this light recoil practice ammo?
TulaTom

Re: 46 gr. Practice Ammo - Anyone have Experience

Post by TulaTom »

I've been thinking about buying some of that ammo myself. Let us know what you think of it after a trip to the range.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

About a 48 grain bullet
Hollow point I think with a plastic insert
Accurate out to 100 yards.
Feels like shooting a 22 rifle.
Has full powder charge,so still has muzzle flash from short Mosins
Not much recoil
3700 fps!

Dolk

Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

I've shot some out of one of my M44s, it was fun as hell. No recoil, but still has the loud bang, concussion wave, and fireball...

I haven't tested it on paper targets, but it didn't have much trouble taking out clays at 50 and 100 yards.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Spermgewehr

Post by Spermgewehr »

Where's a good place to buy some? Every tuesday my buddies and I go desert shooting and usually bring some ladies along. Interestingly they love the classic bolt guns (one said her favorite was my M38, go figure) but needless to say they start bitching about their shoulders before too long.
The Bolt Man

Post by The Bolt Man »

I found mine at "SGAmmo.com". I seems to be going fast.
eriksund

Post by eriksund »

how safe is center fire ammo... how mush pressure does it take to ignite the primer... i know i need to be safe... duh!, but how gentle or not gentle can i safely be without accidently setting off the bullet... im not real familiar with center fire munitions... cheers
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Just what are you refering too? Don't throw them in your fireplace or set them next to the wall heater but If your gun passes headspace you should be fine for commercial and military ammo. Now if you are reloading there are guidlines in the manuals. Not quite sure what you are asking though. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
eriksund

Post by eriksund »

im just wondering how safe they are to handle, how hard the primer has to be hit before they go off.... i kind of know the answer myself, but want confirmation from you guys who know... i know soldiers in combat didnt worry about their ammo going off... so i know i will be fine... just sometimes loading by hand my mosin i sometimes have dropped one.. will it ignite if it lands on the primer?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well then...........I would never say never but........In my many, many years of handling ammo and it is like 40 years, I have never had one go off when i have dropped it or even rimfire for that matter. Dropping them happens but if you are careful where you are loading i think you will be fine. To add to this i have never heard of this happening either. :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I just ordered the 264 round deal.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
ditchtiger

Post by ditchtiger »

With the blunt nose it ruptures jugs of water very well.
Also, this ammo will cycle my SVT40 bolt but FTF.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The primer needs one hell of a whack to go off, and once it's in a cartridge case the whack has to be very precise to hit on the primer itself. Ever hear the firing pin snap down when you dry fire the rifle? It's a good crack, lot of pressure behind it , that's what is needed to dent the primer. Don't worry about it, I have tens of thousands of rounds, and have handled tens of thousands more without ever a problem .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
eriksund

Post by eriksund »

thank you JYD... i needed to hear that... just got my front sight tool and ready to go to the range for the first time with this baby :D ... will give review and pics upon return.. thanks all!