1896 Sestoryetsk, Judi's Finn Mix-Master

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Judi and her Mosins

1896 Sestoryetsk, Judi's Finn Mix-Master

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Well Judi could not leave this alone. I had to see what was underneath this "stuff". I keep rubbing it with a white glove as the "stuff" flaked off. I then was brave to go ahead and use Kotton-Kleanser on it. It took two days and this is the result. There is a little bit on, but it is falling off.

I was worried as the stock undressed, ( get out the gutter guys) . I was wondering of the crazy pattern coming out. then I looked at more Finn's and when Dolk posted his. I felt that mine were very much the same type .

So, This is my 1896 Sestoryetsk Finn barrell, mix-master parts, Tula, Westinghouse, Sestoryetsk and a few others I cannot find what the stamps mean. I was also wondering the stamping on the wood. The stock pictures, one looks like a pine cone but seems hard to take a picture. also a V under the trigger, another on the stock { } thing, an A on the rear stock and other type stamps.

I would like to thank the OP who posted about slings. As I looked mine over, I found a SA stamp on it. Thank you, I never would have never looked. You guys keep me on my toes. As if it is not hard enough to see things.

Well, here are the results....took two days,..tell me what you think. Also what is the deal on them sights, why two diffrent marking on each side?

What do these sights mean?

The wood, seems made to fit, never seen this on my other Mosins. But is not cracked.

The stock is not cracked, rather a "line" type crack that is only on the surface.

If you want or need better pictures tell me the part and I will try my best.

:vconfused: Well I hope this sovles that Mosin problem, after all in all.....Did I do ok ? :brolleyes: I will never learn if I do not try. As my new sig line states...Let me know, Thanks everyone, Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;

Like my new Avatar, along with my sig line, from my farvorite author I might add. And, no I never dated Ted Cruz.

Image :big shock:

I would like to Thank the three members for the help they gave me with finding and making me my Avatar. :thumbsup: Also to eveeryone else who has been coaching me along. Thank you fellow members, your support is priceless. :pointleft: Judi

And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Vendetta

Re: 1896 Sestoryetsk, Judi's Finn Mix-Master

Post by Vendetta »

Gorgeous. I am jealous. Looks like that gunk came off like a charm. Now to "undress" the mummy? :grin:
finloq

Post by finloq »

Very nice wood, under there.
The Finns struck out the Arshin measurements on the left and remarked the rear sights in Meters on the right.
The stock is a standard Finn spliced stock. They did this to make unuseable stocks, useable and to create a stock that would resist warping. The rear is definitely Finnish manufacture, the front...?
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

In my opinion, you made a great save. Beautiful.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

THAT is a "KEEPER" :big shock: :Drool1: :Drool1: :big shock:
You did great on the restoration! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice to know that under all that gunk was this wonderful rifle. :pointup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

:thumbsup: Very beautiful Tikka you have there! When I saw that one on GB, I just scowled at it and never gave it any more of my attention. You however saw something in it that I didn't. You really turned that ugly duckling into a beautiful swan and also taught me to look a little harder at what it could be. Congratulations on an absolutely gorgeous rifle!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

much much MUCH better. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Judi,Judi,Judi :Drool1: Wow what a nice bring back, there was nice timber underneath that crap.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow! Judy, incredible. Oh the beauty of a Finn 2 piece stock. Turn it upside down and look at the amazing jointed wood connection where the line is. It's a line on the side but on the bottom you will see a very tight finger joint that shows very fine craftsmanship.
gurn

Post by gurn »

Wow! I am amazed! What a beautiful thing that turned out to be. Good call on taking a chance on that one. I would love to have it. I think this ought to be a showcase "Best hidden rescue find ever" rifle. Your in with the big fishes now girl. :thumbsup:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

bunkysdad wrote: Oh the beauty of a Finn 2 piece stock.
:pointup:
I agree a 100% BD, but on rare occasions the Russians could also turn out a pretty nice 2 piece stock :D
IMG_2269.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Wow, SO, SO, SO much better !!!
gurn

Post by gurn »

Oh wow that is nice!
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Nice rifle Judi, the Imperial Eagle on the receiver is outstanding :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Looks good! :thumbsup:
awesomeinforensics

Post by awesomeinforensics »

All I can say is W 8-) W
1925r Izhevsk ex Dragoon
1934 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Winchester Model 1873 circa 1886
NRA Life Member

Gentlemen there are 2 "finks" among us!
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

ok,...here is a few more pictures, my good camrea is broke. Sorry, Thanks for the support I did not want to use the Kotton Kleaser again. As I use it twice on it. The remaining "stuff" is falling off by it self if I put white gloves on and gently rub it.

Before picture.....

The front end ....

I never noticed the "sliced finger"....Thanks

And the Eagles Crest is so clear and crisp....

If you want any other pictures let me know,...Do I have the top handguard on backwards ? AND,...guess what,....yep. Judi snatched ....another Ex-Dragoon, 1925. I'll be sure to post some pictures need a better camera. Hmmm, buy camrea, buy Mosin...Hmmmm.

You guys have me looking at all the diffrent types and models. I thought they only had two factorys, then six, then more types ,then more countrys,...What did you guys do to me ? :brolleyes: :brolleyes:

When I first came here I had four,...now TEN :brolleyes: no wonder your wifes :rolling: yell at you :kilgo: . Thanks, Glad I met you guys. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;

And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Good save. Turns out to be quite a nice rifle. Wonder why the stuff was put on in the first place.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
jm190

Post by jm190 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: I am so happy for you that this worked out and not just a little bit jealous. I watched this rifle and actually messaged the seller. In the end I didn't have the guts to take the chance on what was underneath. That is so COOL! NICE SAVE!!!
John