Closing the bolt on a round

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
chrisrusty9999

Closing the bolt on a round

Post by chrisrusty9999 »

Hi there, I have a question about a recently purchased (my first) 91/30 mosin. I have the seemingly common problem where I have to hit the bolt pretty hard to get it to close. I don't believe headspace is the issue since I have already fired about 20 rounds through it and everything seemed fine. I was originally thinking it was the extractor, because after slamming a couple rounds into the chamber, the lower half of the extractor would be covered with a thin coating of the copper from the case. I removed the extractor and out of curiosity, I tried to chamber a round without the extractor in the bolt face, and even then I would still have to slam it shut sometimes (it would close smoothly occasionally). Sometimes it would work if I would open and close the bolt again while the bolt was still in the chamber. I also don't think there is a burr in the chamber since the casings don't have large scratches in them like some people have reported. I'll also add that opening the bolt after firing is not a problem (no "sticky bolt"). Does anyone have any ideas? Should I consider ordering a new bolt face with an extractor? Thanks!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Closing the bolt on a round

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Got any friends with a Mosin? If so borrow their bolt and see if the problem continues. If you change any bolt parts remember to reheadspace the rifle before firing. This is a hard question to answer without the rifle in hand.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

Just some wild guesses...
Is the edge of the bolt face bent or nicked in a way that would bind against the back of the case? Lacquer coated rounds might not feed smoothly.
chrisrusty9999

Post by chrisrusty9999 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Got any friends with a Mosin? If so borrow their bolt and see if the problem continues. If you change any bolt parts remember to reheadspace the rifle before firing. This is a hard question to answer without the rifle in hand.
I don't, but I will keep this in mind, thanks.
soylentblue wrote:Just some wild guesses...
Is the edge of the bolt face bent or nicked in a way that would bind against the back of the case? Lacquer coated rounds might not feed smoothly.
Ah, I bet this may have something to do with it since I still had trouble closing the bolt even without the extractor installed. I'll check it out, thanks.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I agree with JYD. Go to Liberty Tree and pick up another bolt head and try that out if you don't know anyone with a Mosin. Always good to have some parts like that laying around anyway. Same thing though. Check out headspace any time you change any bolt parts.