Ex DDR M38

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MEBears

Ex DDR M38

Post by MEBears »

I recently saw on 7.62x54r.net that Ex-DDR m38s are considered rare. I have a 1943 and wonder if I should keep shooting it or put it away and pick up another as a shooter. I'm also wondering if being a Molot matters. It has the Molot mark lasered onto the barrel under the handguard. Thanks for any input.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ex DDR M38

Post by Longcolt44 »

The jury is still out on the Molot marked firearms. Most collectors do not consider them to fit in as a collectible. IMHO they are shooters, not collectables.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you didn't know what the DDR mark was you would shoot it wouldn't you? The easy type range shooting you will put it to is nothing like the war shooting it's seen, you will not hurt it any.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MEBears

Post by MEBears »

Good, if it were collectible I'd rather see it with a real collector. I like buying different Milsurps but I buy them with the intention of using them.
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

Not sure how rare the M38's from Molot are, I picked up one earlier this summer at a gun show, this was also a DDR. Real nice looking bore and shoots great, fits the bill.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
martin08

Post by martin08 »

DDR marked M38's are highly uncommon, Molot or not. Most certainly collectible.

I doubt it will hurt to shoot it, though. Tough gun.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
MEBears

Post by MEBears »

Definitely tougher than my shoulder. :) One of my favorites to shoot and I love it when people ask why I took the bayonet off. Being a Molot doesn't bother me. It hasn't been counter bored and the crown is still blued.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Read the posts in the Molot sub forum.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt