1945 M44??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Royalblood

1945 M44??

Post by Royalblood »

I recently bought this M44 from a local gun store. I only bought it because I could not find import marks and the antique finish on it. The owner told me that it could be a bring-back. I bought the rifle for $120, was this a good choice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crwjr

Re: 1945 M44??

Post by crwjr »

Beautiful Rifle, to bad somebody had to hack the bayonet off :no: but other than that it looks great :toast: welcome to the forum
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That does look nice. $120 isn't too bad for that. Back in the old days they made you take bayonets off of guns if they were brought into the country. Not sure if that is what happened here but maybe. I think they did that to SKS's too. Now california won't let you have grenade launchers on the SKS's. Nice gun Royal. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Shame about the bayonet lug. The finish is not that of a typical recently imported M44, it is possible it is a bringback. Without the bringback paperwork, theres no way to be sure, but this one has the "look" of a bringback.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Bringback from where, Southeast Asia? No body brought back Russian state property from Europe 60 years ago. The bayonet being cut pretty much destroyed any collectability on that rifle, its a shame, nice rifle otherwise. With the bayonet cut off I would not have paid $120.00 and passed on that one, it's just a shooter.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

Shame about the bayonet missing, reminds me of my M38 since it sits on a 44 stock.

Great pick up for what you paid if you intend on shooting it moreso than displaying, I am hoping to score a Tula M44 at some point just for the collection. Can't wait to see how the rifle looks clean. Definitely looks great cosmetically for its age, too. Maybe you can get a bayonet for it and restore it to original historic condition in that regard? Beyond that I wouldn't touch a thing aside from any necessary rust removal. Get that barrel checked before you shoot it though, as I am sure you know. :toast:
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Yes, Vietnam..... Many Russian rifles went to Vietnam for a while, then they were supplied with the T53 (China). A lot of the T53's were missing bayonets when they were imported back into the US.

Fact that is has no import mark, and all original serial numbers leads me to think it might be a Vietnam rifle. But without papers, it could be someone here in the US hack sawed the mount off also.

You won't find many M44's without import marks on them. They imported very few before the laws here required import marks. So the chances are it is a bring back. Just a shame there really is no way to know now. Sill, it is a nice rifle and has a lot to say without all the "refurbishment" on it!

Nice 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dolk
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I think it's a keeper. I would have bought it just to have one with all original stampings for that price. I would have been shaking my head at the missing bayonet, but I would have bought it.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I would have bought it as well. You can replace the bayo lug pretty easily. With no bringback papers it's "just" a neat old Mosin right now, but last time I checked they aint making any more... :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Two in one week, Russian rifles imported from China would be my guess. I remember that some of the type 53's brought in 20 years ago had the bayonets hacked off so they could be sold in California. Russian made M44's did come in with the Chinese 53's, the Soviets sold M44's to China after the communists took over, and before they were making their own type 53's. The look of the rifle is typical of the Chinese imports. Vietnam is also a possibility as some Soviet M44's did end up there passed along by the Chinese, but I would bet this is a late 80's import, the import marks were very tiny, and sometimes left off by accident.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like it and for 120.00 it was a no brianer. Since the bayonet lug is the only mod it does make you wonder. have you shot it yet?

Ya gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?~ Josey Wales
Royalblood

Post by Royalblood »

Thank you so much everyone for all the information you guys have provided! :clap: I will look into replacing the bayonet lug. I have not got a chance to shoot it Bunkysdad, but I plan to within the next week.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Royalblood wrote:Thank you so much everyone for all the information you guys have provided! :clap: I will look into replacing the bayonet lug. I have not got a chance to shoot it Bunkysdad, but I plan to within the next week.
Leave it as it is. Replacing the bayonet would be a big task and would still not ad anything to the value. Not to mention you would have to destroy another M44 to get the lug parts.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Worth it for the price. As others said... Leave it be. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Best to just leave it be, the damage is done and it's a gunsmiths skills needed to get that lug off and back on properly. Not worth buggering it up even more.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt