surplus ammo steel core?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BigMuddy1031

surplus ammo steel core?

Post by BigMuddy1031 »

Is all surplus ammo steel core? If not, where can I get some?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: surplus ammo steel core?

Post by Darryl »

BigMuddy1031 wrote:Is all surplus ammo steel core? If not, where can I get some?
No, not all is steel core. I think Yugo is all lead and some others. I always carry a magnet when I'm buying.

Yugo M30 (getting hard to find)
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=40
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/1-sto ... und-case-1

Prvi Partisan is lead\
Is the same thing

Dolk
BigMuddy1031

Post by BigMuddy1031 »

Very helpful. Thanks Dolk.
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

If I have 440 rounds of red army surplus coming in the mail I can't afford to be picky if I somehow screwed this up, but if they're an undesirable core should i not be worried about firing them through the rifle knowing to clean it up after the fact for corrosion, or do I have 440 wall hangers?
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Some or most official ranges don't allow steel core ammo for i think fire reasons but i am not sure cause i shoot out in the sticks. If you don't shoot at a range you will be fine with those and shoot them all in one day if you wish. Just clean after using it and there will be no problem. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The steel core will not hurt your rifle in any way, it's buried inside the bullet, remember that this ammo uses a corrosive salt in it's primer compound, you must wash out the salt after you shoot even one round of that ammo. Easy enough, just pour a quart of boiling water down the chamber and out the muzzle, a little over your bolt head and them clean as normal with solvent. Ranges do not like steel core ammo because it tends to spark when hitting steel targets or rocks in the ground sparking fires. This is not bullshit, I filled a steel 55 gallon drum with crumpled newspaper mixed with some old car mufflers and in three rounds I had that paper on fire using the steel core ammo. Just put a magnet to the bullet ( not the case as this is steel and it will stick) the bullet tip and see if it will stick. Most commie surplus ammo has a steel core, it's a money saving thing, steel is cheaper than lead and when you are making half a billion rounds the savings add up.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The best way to tell what is inside the bullet is to sacrifice one and section it. Pull one of the bullets and cut or grind it in half.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

440 desert rounds woohoo. Thanks for the insight.
“A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” - Robert Heinlein
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

mosinmike17 wrote:440 desert rounds woohoo. Thanks for the insight.
Check with your local range though, some won't allow steel core at all, some only after it rains, and some dont have any problem with it at all.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
mosinmike17

Post by mosinmike17 »

Izhevsk762 wrote:
mosinmike17 wrote:440 desert rounds woohoo. Thanks for the insight.
Check with your local range though, some won't allow steel core at all, some only after it rains, and some dont have any problem with it at all.
Just found out the new range in town is ok with it. It's backed up against a mountain and all sand and gravel, not much to burn.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

They burned many a car out in them deserts when i was there and no serious fire at all. Everyday we found a new burned car. I will have to check out that new range there. You say they closed the shotgun range at Floyd? :D
I take it they did a bomb removal there already? There have been tons of bombs found on the north side in the desert as they used to do bomb runs there in the old days. I personaly have found a few around craig and the blvd area. :no: :no:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)