1944 M44 'unrefurbed' warhorse

"Special", rarer, and "hard to find" Mosins

For your browsing pleasure.
zhuk

1944 M44 'unrefurbed' warhorse

Post by zhuk »

This rifle came to me through a Queensland importer who source his milsurps direct from Germany, where he travels a couple of times a year. It has been suggested here that this gun underwent an initial refurbishment, but not the usual second post-war treatment hence its more 'original' appearance.

As I know am new to owning anything vaguely collectable, I defer here to the experience of forum members, and quote marcus from my initial thread:

The gun came out of West Germany, and is one of the Mosins in West German government or military inventory that were surplused and sold off in 1972. Many of these were guns that were captured and used by German forces in WW2, others were brought into the country by defectors from the DDR (East Germany), and if this rifle does have a post-war refurb mark, it would be one of these DDR guns. Note the Ulm proofs with 1972 date on the left side of the barrel, just above the wood line. There might be another marking with the caliber - 7,62X54R - and "KAHAZE" the name of the German firm that purchased these weapons and resold them (this marking will be microscopic and require good magnification to read), on the left rear side of the receiver. There should also be another little German "Eagle/N" nitro proof marking on the receiver and on the bolt. The unmatched bolt is common and correct for these, and should be considered it's proper and correct bolt - especially if it has the same nitro proof as on the barrel.

Discussion Section

Discussion Section