Is This a Bubba, or Not? What Say You?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Josh Smith
ban is not due to his product
ban is not due to his product

Is This a Bubba, or Not? What Say You?

Post by Josh Smith »

Hello,

I stumbled across this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... leppo.html

I mean, it's something one might see as a "Bubba" in the US, but this one has never left the battlefield.

Isn't a Bubba'd rifle one that has been altered from battlefield condition? This looks more like a modern use of an old military weapon as a sniper's rifle.

Not meaning to cause any trouble; I'm just very curious and your thoughts would help. I've found pictures of SKS carbines being used in similar fashions, complete with 'scopes, as I'm sure you all have. They are captured by our troops.

What say you on this Mosin?

Regards,

Josh
mitch5690

Re: Is This a Bubba, or Not? What Say You?

Post by mitch5690 »

all i know is i want it:P
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Personally I would say a rifle modified for use in battlefield conditions, to improve it's performance on the battlefield is not a Bubba regardless if the modification is crude. Not done by a government arsenal, nevertheless it is a partisan weapon why I came to this opinion, it's still a battlefield weapon on the battlefield, still making history therefore it's historical integrity remains though evolving to fit the needs of the present conditions.
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Perhaps a Polish Haji? Sorry, I take that back.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Well when we give the Syrians weapons he will be able to upgrade.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You notice that he is using a no alteration style scope mount? As for the stock markings, this is something soldiers do in the field. Girlfriends names, place names, maybe a f*** you to the enemy or score marks for enemy killed. That little bit of painting that the pictured whatever he is has done would come right off. Not Bubba at all.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hobe Sound Falcon

Post by Hobe Sound Falcon »

Yea looks Polish to me too.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Looks almost like the scope mount is welded on. I can see a heap of something around the mount base. I guess whatever works on the battlefield. Its definately different circumstances than a normal bubba modification.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Josh Smith wrote:Hello,

I stumbled across this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... leppo.html

I mean, it's something one might see as a "Bubba" in the US, but this one has never left the battlefield.

Isn't a Bubba'd rifle one that has been altered from battlefield condition? This looks more like a modern use of an old military weapon as a sniper's rifle.

Not meaning to cause any trouble; I'm just very curious and your thoughts would help. I've found pictures of SKS carbines being used in similar fashions, complete with 'scopes, as I'm sure you all have. They are captured by our troops.

Regards,

Josh
A little liberal in your assessment aren't you. This to them is a tool in a war, nothing more. They don't give a rat's sh!t on collectability & I wouldn't either if a modified tool went the difference in my survival.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is a really cool picture Josh. If war broke out here on our turf, and I found myself joining a band of American insurgents to defend against an enemy, I would grab my M39 and duct tape stuff to it if it would help me shoot better. Collectibility don't mean anything to guys in these conditions. Telling that dude what bubba did to his rifle would likely get someone shot! :P
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

bunkysdad wrote:That is a really cool picture Josh. If war broke out here on our turf, and I found myself joining a band of American insurgents to defend against an enemy, I would grab my M39 and duct tape stuff to it if it would help me shoot better. Collectibility don't mean anything to guys in these conditions. Telling that dude what bubba did to his rifle would likely get someone shot! :P
:pointup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In the event of that the first thing I would do is camo paint my M14 front to back.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Collecting is one thing... Surviving to see another day is something totally different.

"Dang that entropy"
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Looks to me to be an M44, notice what appears to be a bayonet relief cut on the stock. The "blob" around the base may be part of one of those leaves seen in the barrel behind him and being used for camo that is not seen in the picture. Interesting that they are getting scout scope mounts. They all look pretty clean shaven and nicely groomed as well for being insurgents, guerilla fighters or rebels, or what ever. And, the shooters hand and trigger finger look wrong. Just some observations.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The stock on that rifle looks Polish, he has an odd way of holding the rifle, but maybe that's because of the small hole he must bee shooting out of, or the need to aim with the scope.
Theodore Roosevelt
bws

Post by bws »

Josh Smith wrote:Hello,

I stumbled across this:

Regards,

Josh
Everybody that's replied has raised excellent points, Josh, but I'm going to add my own twist by saying this weapon has evolved because of battlefield conditions. I can only assume these gentlemen are Syrian rebels and given that they probably have neither the connections nor access to acquire AK's, they're making due with what they can scrape together begging, borrowing or purchasing from people who sympathize with them. In this case, I can hardly blame Bubba. I would even go so far as to say this weapon is still making battlefield history, so it can't classified as a "bubba-ized" weapon. Besides, some of the greatest military advancements have taken place during combat situations. If I were more awake, I'm sure I'd be able to site something, but my allergy meds are starting to kick in with a vengeance.

That was an excellent and very thought provoking post. Thank you.

bws
================================================
I walk through the valley... but I will not fear. The shadow is mine, so is the valley.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The Russians are supplying the government and not the rebels. This could very well be a government fighter. :D It would not be the first time Poland has funneled weapons to soviet allies.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The stock on that rifle looks Polish, he has an odd way of holding the rifle, but maybe that's because of the small hole he must bee shooting out of, or the need to aim with the scope.
Yeah I think you're right and I think Rob is right too, it looks to be a Polish M44. I blew up the picture and you can barely make out the tip of the bayonet in that cutout he mentioned. The scope blob is to blurry to make out with the picture blown up but it does look like some sort of aid in mounting the scope.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Maybe one day that rifle will be in this country as surplus .
Theodore Roosevelt
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :popgun:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?