help with m1 carbine rear sight needed

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Spermgewehr

help with m1 carbine rear sight needed

Post by Spermgewehr »

Dusted off my Standard carbine today and took her to the range. I shot a few groups at 50 yds but soon discovered my later shots were printing higher than the first. Its a standard rearsenaled m1 with the bayo lug and windage adjustable rear sight. I put the sight back to 100, fired, and found that the peep moved back to 150. I put it back to 100 and again it moved up. This seems to be a new problem, or at least one I didn't notice when I was shooting steel silhouettes at about 70 yds last time. Anybody got any easy fixes for this?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: help with m1 carbine rear sight needed

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can replace the sight , or examine it closely to see how it's being held together. Sounds as if it's gotten worn to the point were the detent that holds the slide in place is loose. I don't know if it can be tightened up, that will have to wait until I am home and can examine one of mine.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt