Bagged, Tagged, and Digested

martin08

Bagged, Tagged, and Digested

Post by martin08 »

Quickest call-in I ever had.

I drove through a fresh-cut wood lot to my favorite power line. I stepped out of the car, made a call, got an instant gobble from less than 50yards away, reached into the car for the gun, loaded a shell, ducked behind the nearest shrub evergreen, spotted three toms, picked the first to move around the power-line pole, and dropped him.

All in under 30 seconds. Holy cow.

19lb, 7" beard. Tasted great in a Parmesean last evening.

[img width=571 height=480]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/ ... ot_003.jpg[/img]
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Ironnewt

Re: Bagged, Tagged, and Digested

Post by Ironnewt »

Now go get another. 30 seconds, that's some type of quick.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

martin08

Post by martin08 »

Ironnewt wrote:Now go get another. 30 seconds, that's some type of quick.
Exactly.

My early morning hunt resulted in real frustration. I located two responding toms during pre-dawn, positioned myself between them, made several measured and appropriate clucks and calls, lured one to within 30 yards after almost an hour, fired and knocked him over! Then he got up, I knocked him over again, then he got up again and flew away. I spent over two hours looking for him in a grid pattern, to no avail.

So, when it became fruitless to search any longer, I changed locations and nailed one in nearly an instant. Go figure.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Tasty lookin' bird.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Nice :thumbsup:

If only I could have gotten the front door open quietly, I would have had one for dinner back in January. :lol: He took off when I pushed the door latch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Yum.... :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Congrats! Can't beat a wild turkey on the dinner plate as far as I'm concerned.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Nice Matt. I haven't hunted turkey in 2 years and the season just ended here about a week ago. I have domestic turkeys so it's kind of pointless. The gobbling is cool for the first few months but they do it constantly and try my sanity at times. One of my domestic hens raised 7 wild ones from an abandon nest this past year and they still come around from time to time. My neighbor was over last weekend and one walked right through the field next to my house.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
A_King89

Post by A_King89 »

Haha with the guy with the turkey in the front yard... ya should have jus lifted a window and fired from that haha.

Reminds me of when i was with family over in TX and i shot a 8point from inside the house.. jus had to barely slide open the glass door. :chuckles: :chuckles:
“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
― Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

:1934 Tula 91/30:
:1944 Izhevsk M44:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I hate to think about how many years in prison I would get if caught doing that here :shock:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

By some chance, you didn't go turkey hunting with that monstrous punt gun did you??? :big shock: :lol: :lol:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No meat left after that one :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Greasemonkey wrote:By some chance, you didn't go turkey hunting with that monstrous punt gun did you??? :big shock: :lol: :lol:
I've fielded several questions along those lines, and won't be disclosing any hunting secrets. Uh, uh.
A_King89

Post by A_King89 »

Ehh where so far out here its all good. Granted it WAS during deer season haha nothing illegal there. And wait.. its illegal to kill a deer from your house? :shock:
“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
― Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

:1934 Tula 91/30:
:1944 Izhevsk M44:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In this state you had better be 1000 feet from a body of water, roadway, or building .
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

We have Turkeys living right behind the jail. All I have to do is articulate in a convincing manner that they are possibly an escape hazzard?????? :lol: It does seem that they like to hang in town far more then the wilds!

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:devil2: :pointup: Food on the claw :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Sgt. Rob wrote:We have Turkeys living right behind the jail. All I have to do is articulate in a convincing manner that they are possibly an escape hazzard?????? :lol: It does seem that they like to hang in town far more then the wilds!

Semper Fi, Rob
I had some living in my barn. Along with the mama that raised them, one of my hens. This was earlier this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

[quote="Sgt. Rob"]We have Turkeys living right behind the jail. All I have to do is articulate in a convincing manner that they are possibly an escape hazzard?????? :lol: It does seem that they like to hang in town far more then the wilds!

Semper Fi, Rob[/quote

Jail birds.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!