Savage 1907

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Synack

Savage 1907

Post by Synack »

This is the one that really got me interested in C&R guns. This was my grandfather's gun, and my dad just passed it on to me.

I find the history (or lack thereof) interesting. My grandfather and his family were displaced from Hungary after WWII, relocated to Germany and were stuck there in less than stellar conditions for about six years. (My dad has told me childhood stories of him and my uncle finding abandoned German ammunition and destroyed Mausers, which they snuck back home so my grandfather could hobble something together and go hunting for food...) He was eventually able to immigrate to America and worked in a less than stellar part of Chicago :) . We're not sure when he picked it up, but it sounds like this was his secret EDC.

I just really like the idea of him coming over as an immigrant and picking this up who knows where (the gangster appropriate gun, with a lot of wear, in Chicago) and carrying when he probably wasn't even supposed to...

Celt

Re: Savage 1907

Post by Celt »

holy smokes, what a great piece and a great story!
:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Beautiful little pistol, Savage pistols are not appreciated enough I think. :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
gurn

Post by gurn »

Great pistol. Im sure back then it was nice to know you had 10 shots at you command. Its great you have a spare mag, they are expensive now.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Rangerflip

Post by Rangerflip »

Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:Beautiful little pistol, Savage pistols are not appreciated enough I think. :thumbsup:
Just not as well known as some of the more prolific brands.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
swoop85

Post by swoop85 »

Great gun. That was the first handgun I ever shot (probably 11-12 yrs old...) my dad's is a .32 . He still shoots it often. The Savage was a contender against the Colt 1911, but lost in the competition for the contract...
A_King89

Post by A_King89 »

Beautiful handgun and piece of history you have there! ;mywink;
“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
― Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

:1934 Tula 91/30:
:1944 Izhevsk M44:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

swoop85 wrote:Great gun. That was the first handgun I ever shot (probably 11-12 yrs old...) my dad's is a .32 . He still shoots it often. The Savage was a contender against the Colt 1911, but lost in the competition for the contract...
Nothing too unusual as many designs lost out to something John Browning thought up :)
Theodore Roosevelt