Wish me luck tomorrow...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ffeng31

Re: Wish me luck tomorrow...

Post by ffeng31 »

I kept my cards covered. ;mywink; When I say educate, it was more like explaining the most generic of markings so that they would have a basic understanding of the rifles they were selling...
Jim

entropy

Post by entropy »

I told the shop that had my 1915 Sestroryetsk sitting there in an ATI stock after the transaction was complete! :wink: I didn't expect them to have too many Mosins in in the future, and I was right. They eventually closed, and he uses his FFL just to do transfers. It wasn't that great a shop, but it was worth a stop every couple months.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ffeng31 wrote:I kept my cards covered. ;mywink; When I say educate, it was more like explaining the most generic of markings so that they would have a basic understanding of the rifles they were selling...
:thumbsup: That's how you do it,
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Good luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Well. I got there today and Pandora's box was locked as tight as a drum. There was a sign on the LGS door that they had to close for a family emergency. I seriously hope it's nothing bad.

Maybe this is a sign that I am only meant to have one 91/30....
James811

Post by James811 »

cjsimoh wrote:Well. I got there today and Pandora's box was locked as tight as a drum. There was a sign on the LGS door that they had to close for a family emergency. I seriously hope it's nothing bad.

Maybe this is a sign that I am only meant to have one 91/30....
Or a sign that you need to find another LGS for when the current one is closed! :D
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy if possible."
- Stonewall Jackson
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

ONLY ONE !!!! :devil2: :devil2: Sure ! :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: Just like one patato chip, one beer, and that's not even factoring in "MOSINITIS "

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

next time call ahead :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

To bad, now you will have another sleep deprived night waiting for tomorrow ;mywink; I never try and educate gun shop workers. At most places unless your talking about Glocks they wouldn't give a rip. All they need to know is they made another sale.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Call ahead, Family emergency's can last for days, or weeks.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have many friends who work in LGS and I will answer their questions if I can but I do not try and educate them to blow up my ego on what I know. If it is something I am interested in I will just try and see what I am willing to pay and then make ano offer. If they want an education and are already in the business they have put the cart in front of the horse and they are in trouble already. Bill :wink:
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

OK... visited the LGS today. He said he went through all 18 boxes of the 91/30s and said he "didn't find anything special". These are boxes from CIA so he cut them open, pulled the rifle up and looked at the marks on the receiver. I don't think he would have told me if he found anything good even if he did. He knows what he's looking at and would know a "rare" one if he saw it. It's frustrating not being able to look at all of them myself, but I guess I have to play the hand I'm dealt.

He had two of them waiting for me. One was a 1942 Izhevsk and the other a 1938 Tula. The bores and receivers looked pretty much the same (these are COVERED in Cosmoline like an eighth of an inch thick!). Since I already have a 1941 Izhevsk and the stock was nicer on the Tula and the Tula is a bit rarer, I'm going with the Tula. I'm saying "going" because I can't pick it up for another week, but that's another long story. I wasn't planning on taking it out of the box for a while anyway, probably a month or so, because I want to get the 1942 Izhevsk out to the range first and before I can do that, I have to get some headspace gauges, more ammo, etc...

So, I will soon be adding a second M91/30 to my collection, slightly (very slightly) rarer than my 1941. But I'm buying them for the sheer fun of cleaning them up and getting them to shoot. Sorry for the long post, but it's been quite a saga with this LGS...
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

cjsimoh wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:Careful. Have you ever read or heard about Pandora?
Do you think Pandora had a 91/30 in her box? LOL! :P
I am going to be good, and pass on the ugly comment I was about to type....
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

cjsimoh wrote:OK... visited the LGS today. He said he went through all 18 boxes of the 91/30s and said he "didn't find anything special". These are boxes from CIA so he cut them open, pulled the rifle up and looked at the marks on the receiver. I don't think he would have told me if he found anything good even if he did. He knows what he's looking at and would know a "rare" one if he saw it. It's frustrating not being able to look at all of them myself, but I guess I have to play the hand I'm dealt.

He had two of them waiting for me. One was a 1942 Izhevsk and the other a 1938 Tula. The bores and receivers looked pretty much the same (these are COVERED in Cosmoline like an eighth of an inch thick!). Since I already have a 1941 Izhevsk and the stock was nicer on the Tula and the Tula is a bit rarer, I'm going with the Tula. I'm saying "going" because I can't pick it up for another week, but that's another long story. I wasn't planning on taking it out of the box for a while anyway, probably a month or so, because I want to get the 1942 Izhevsk out to the range first and before I can do that, I have to get some headspace gauges, more ammo, etc...

So, I will soon be adding a second M91/30 to my collection, slightly (very slightly) rarer than my 1941. But I'm buying them for the sheer fun of cleaning them up and getting them to shoot. Sorry for the long post, but it's been quite a saga with this LGS...
My first refurb 91/30 was a 1938 Tula, the rifle shot to POA right out of the box, wasn't even a high shooter at 100 yards, rare in any Mosin, and has a good trigger. Magic Tula :)
Theodore Roosevelt
notabiker

Post by notabiker »

i am trying to be happy with what i have and not worry what i do not have. that tula was the right choice. pre war tula will have nicer machine work. take it apart and clean the metal real good. carefully remove the barrel bands. most of the damage to the 60 year old wood finish comes from removing these bands. oil all the metal real good. have fun.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Yeah it looks like it will be a pretty sweet rifle when it's cleaned up.

Hey, Junk Yard, Dog, the Izhevsk had brass caps on the hand guard portion of the stock. I've looked at a bunch of 91/30 pics on the Internet and didn't see one like that. Have you ever seen brass caps on a handguard?

Edit: I searched some more and found some posts on various forums talking about brass caps. Guess they aren't terribly unusual, but no one seems to know why most are black with a few brass...
Aircooled

Post by Aircooled »

:thumbsup: Good choice! If a nice tula mosin comes my way, I'd grab it as well.
Three Dogs.... Love your tag line!
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Speaking of the brass hand guard caps, does anyone know where I could pick up some for either an M44 or 91/30? I checked Liberty Tree but they were sold out. I've looked around and haven't had any luck. Any ideas? Thanks.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

cjsimoh wrote:Libery has these for M44s:

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=17
Thanks but I'm specifically looking for the brass ones. I don't know what it is about them, maybe because the first 91/30 I ever bought had them but I really like the look they give the rifle. :)