My first Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zedteamk2

My first Mosin Nagant

Post by zedteamk2 »

Hi there. I came across the Mosin Nagant on Cabela's website one day and it caught my attention. I went to the store and they only had a sniper version ( out of my price range).
I looked around online, and ended up with this.
The serial numbers match.
I'm hoping you guys can help me find out what is ( and what is not) special about my Mosin ( besides being mine ).
I'm going to give it a good cleaning this weekend, then hopefully get out and shoot it the next weekend.
I can also provide higher resolution pictures if anyone is interested.
Thanks !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: My first Mosin Nagant

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1938 Tula M1891/30 Soviet refurbished rifle. Nice looking one, nice dog too :) I see the normal mix of Tula, and Izhevsk parts, typical inspection stamps. A great first Mosin :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A !938 rifle from the Tula arsenal in a post war stock. A nice Soviet Referb. Be sure to check the head space and firing pin setting before shooting.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Your collection is off to a great start. Yes, there will be more in your future.
:bravo:
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

Longcolt44 wrote:A !938 rifle from the Tula arsenal in a post war stock. A nice Soviet Referb. Be sure to check the head space and firing pin setting before shooting.
Headspace gauge is on the way, from Okie ( found through this site).
I looked up how to check the firing pin, doesn't look too difficult.

Yeah... i could see these being habit forming. There doesn't seem to be a large amount of reasonably priced rifles in my area at the moment ( North Texas).
I've seen similar to mine in the $300 range
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$300 for a Soviet refurb is a bit steep, you might want to look into getting your own C&R FFL so you can have many milsurps sent directly to your home.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

zedteamk2 wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:A !938 rifle from the Tula arsenal in a post war stock. A nice Soviet Referb. Be sure to check the head space and firing pin setting before shooting.
Headspace gauge is on the way, from Okie ( found through this site).
I looked up how to check the firing pin, doesn't look too difficult.

Yeah... i could see these being habit forming. There doesn't seem to be a large amount of reasonably priced rifles in my area at the moment ( North Texas).
I've seen similar to mine in the $300 range
$300.00 is the very inflated buying frenzy price. AIM just had them for $150.00, 6 months ago they were as low as $79.95.
Rangerflip

Post by Rangerflip »

Congrats on the Tula, sweet. :thumbsup:
gurn

Post by gurn »

Very nice solid looking first Mosin! Do you have a stash of ammo yet for it? Your going to want to get a case of Russian for it too. Just be sure to wash the salts out after every shoot.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

As of last night they still had 91/30 for $119 . Very nice rifle and welcome to the group :) :) . Where did you pick it up ??

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I got it at classic firearms.com
I have about 40 rounds of the new ammo.
Once I know it fires ok I will pick up some military surplus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Save that brass if it's commercial brass case ammo, good for reloading later or for selling to another board member who does reload.
Theodore Roosevelt
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Really nice first Mosin. Great stock. You will have the bug soon. They shoot high, so you might want to take a little piece of insulation off of some 14 gauge electrical wire. You can make a nice quick and dirty adjustable front post.

NOTE: Reference shown was deleted due to violations of forum policy of permanent modifications.
Administrator
I must have used the wrong link. The one I was looking for was you just slip a small piece of insulation from #14 wire over the front post. You can slide it up and down with a small screwdriver. It is tight enough to stay put. I'll look for the link if I can find it.

Sorry, here is the right link
http://www.surplusfirearm.com/2012/02/0 ... quick-fix/
Last edited by polymerase2 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Brian the Brit

Post by Brian the Brit »

A nice start :D
You will now be looking for more , It's like a Disease that gets you and I dont think there is a cure , I just look everywhere every day for the DAM things :chuckles:
mosin430

Post by mosin430 »

Its starts with mosins then before you know it youll be looking at mausers

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That can be arranged.....:)
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

polymerase2 wrote:Really nice first Mosin. Great stock. You will have the bug soon. They shoot high, so you might want to take a little piece of insulation off of some 14 gauge electrical wire. You can make a nice quick and dirty adjustable front post.

NOTE: Reference shown was deleted due to violations of forum policy of permanent modifications.
Administrator
I must have used the wrong link. The one I was looking for was you just slip a small piece of insulation from #14 wire over the front post. You can slide it up and down with a small screwdriver. It is tight enough to stay put. I'll look for the link if I can find it.

Sorry, here is the right link
http://www.surplusfirearm.com/2012/02/0 ... quick-fix/
Thanks.
LC
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That's a very nice looking 38 Tula. Hey where do you live in North Texas? I am in the Dallas area. You can find Mosins in stock at Cabelas in Allen, Tx often times. Also at Gander Mountain in Sherman, Tx.
Aircooled

Post by Aircooled »

You sure found a beauty there. That's a keeper! :thumbsup:
DanBlue

Post by DanBlue »

COOL! My first (and so far only) Mosin is the same as yours! A 1939 Tula 91/30...I love it. I just followed it up with a cool RC 1940 Mauser, and I desperately want to get a Type 53 Chinese that was a Vet bring back from Vietnam..
"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."
Benjamin Franklin