Enemy at the Gates, 2001

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Alden

Enemy at the Gates, 2001

Post by Alden »

Just watched "Enemy at the Gates", the story of Vassili Zaitsev, the Russian sniper who lead the resistance against the Nazi invasion of Stalingrad . It's a cat and mouse game kind of story. The Nazis sent a German aristocrat officer who was himself an expert sharpshooter to take Vassili out, and most of the movie is about them trying to figure out what the other one was doing, where to hide and lay in wait until the shot presented itself, and so on. Lots of secondary stories going on too, even a love story. Jude Law, Joseph Fiennes, Ed Harris, Rachel Weisz, and Bob Hoskins (as Nikkita Kruszev). Great war movie, one of the best I have ever seen.

I know most everyone here has probably already seen this movie, but if you are a newbie to the Mosin Nagant and have not seen it, go find yourself a copy somewhere and watch it. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxT4c9K4 ... re=related
Some people are like slinkies....

They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Enemy at the Gates, 2001

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

We know it all too well, it started the fake PU sniper craze back in the last decade and drove us nuts :lol:
Das Boot, Gettysburg, Band of Brothers ( all 10 or so hours), Saving Private Ryan, The Big Red One, all's quiet on the Western Front, The Lost Battalion, Stalingrad, The Winter War ( the long version in Finnish) I could go on all day, but start with these for now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Alden

Post by Alden »

What does "PU" stand for?

Also, were the Mosins snipers rifles manufactured differently than a standard Mosin?

I imagine they tested a number of rifles for accuracy and would pick the most accurate for sniper use, but were the barrels any different, and did they use different ammo too?

They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Alden wrote:What does "PU" stand for?
I don't know, my wife and kids say that a lot. :oops: :oops: :oops:

No seriously. I think they are more of Identifier letters. Kinda like the M in M16. I'm sure somebody will add to this tho. :ugeek: :ugeek:
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Alden wrote:Just watched "Enemy at the Gates", the story of Vassili Zaitsev, the Russian sniper who lead the resistance against the Nazi invasion of Stalingrad . It's a cat and mouse game kind of story. The Nazis sent a German aristocrat officer who was himself an expert sharpshooter to take Vassili out, and most of the movie is about them trying to figure out what the other one was doing, where to hide and lay in wait until the shot presented itself, and so on. Lots of secondary stories going on too, even a love story. Jude Law, Joseph Fiennes, Ed Harris, Rachel Weisz, and Bob Hoskins (as Nikkita Kruszev). Great war movie, one of the best I have ever seen.

I know most everyone here has probably already seen this movie, but if you are a newbie to the Mosin Nagant and have not seen it, go find yourself a copy somewhere and watch it. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxT4c9K4 ... re=related

Would have been nice if they could have at least used the correct sniper rifle......at Stalingrad Vassili used a PEM, not a PU. :roll:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Off subject but talking war movies. The Light Horsemen an Australian film from years ago is great. Gave me an appreciation for the SMLE rifle ever since I saw the movie, and the pattern 07 bayonet from the last scene in the movie. A great scene with lots of horses, must been a challenge to film. Hard movie to find but an interesting account on the WWI fighting that took place in the Middle East an often overlooked theater of operations.
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
RudyN

Post by RudyN »

The Light Horseman is a good movie. I also saw Enemy at the Gates and viewed it as entertainment, not history.
Rudy N
1926 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1929 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1935 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
1943 Tula 91/30
1943 Tula M38
1944 Izhevsk M44
1944 VKT M39
1928 SIG M28
1956 T53
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

The guys at work were talking about this movie awhile back. It sounds like it would be a good one to watch. I hardly watch TV at all anymore but its always on for background noise. I'll make a point to look for this one :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, the military channel is running pretty much all the time for background noise here :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yea, the military channel is running pretty much all the time for background noise here :lol:

Same here except in my case it is to drowned out the back round noise.....................( better known as the wife ) :wink:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I watched the movie "Defiance" last weekend, many good weapons, even saw some M38 Mosins in it. It was based off a true story and a pretty good movie.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's the movie I was trying to remember!
Theodore Roosevelt
Alden

Post by Alden »

What is "Defiance" about?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Jews who get away from the Nazis and fight back from the woods, lots of blood and guts as well as Mosins and Mauser's. Good movie.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Sweet! I've been very curious about that movie. I might grab it soon.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I liked that movie also. About the jews in poland hiding in the trees and fighting the germans. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
youmightbearedneck

Post by youmightbearedneck »

I picked up "Enemy at the Gates" on DVD out of the bargain bin for $2.
Now I don't have to catch it on cable.
:D
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass [Frederick Baily] (1818-1895), escaped slave, Abolitionist, author, editor of the North Star and later the New National Era
August 4, 1857
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Enemy at the gates isn't exactly the most historically accurate movie ever, but worth a watch. Defiance is also pretty good.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

E@TG is a good flick, if you can ignore the backwards rifle on the cover. :roll:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1