M27 Rear Barrel Bands

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Josh Smith
ban is not due to his product

M27 Rear Barrel Bands

Post by Josh Smith »

Hello,

I have a later, larger M27 rear barrel band. I need one of the smaller, early ones. I would prefer to keep the large one and purchase the smaller one, but I will trade the larger one if that's the only way to get the smaller one.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M27 Rear Barrel Bands

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not a clue, anything M27 is rare.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Good luck with that. I think every body is wanting a screw for the rear barrel band too. If you could reproduce on of those I know a few people that would buy one. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The other trouble with those rear bands are they are very often stripped because the depth of the screw thread is so shallow. Usually either the screw or the band is stripped or both are.

I have mentioned this so many times it frosts my you know whats that nobody remembers. Call Scott at this number and ask him about your Mosin screws that you need, Finnish that is: 1-706-863-7572 Evans Obsolete screws. Be patient one man operation and very expensive. Bill

PS He is supposed to be working off many screws I have sent him over the years and some of my spare pieces.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Both of my screws are stripped, the front and the rear. How much is expensive out of curiosity? :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Josh Smith

Post by Josh Smith »

Well heck guys, I didn't know it was rare. I only bought it because it's a Finnish innovation, and I am a fan of their work!

It was advertised as an M28 + (not sure what the "+" meant). An overlay appears to have it a latter M27 -- were the latter M27 and the M28 the same?

Are the M28 bands rare as well?

Whichever, this one is new and only had a gunsmithing screwdriver (mine) used on the screw to check the threads. I might put it up for sale if someone really needs it. Any idea what it's worth?

Thanks,

Josh
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

What is it you are selling? A barrel band or the whole rifle? A m27 will run in the 350 range and also the m28 is pretty close. :D
Josh Smith

Post by Josh Smith »

Hello,

Just the barrel band. I tend to accumulate Finnish parts because they found some unique solutions to problems they had with a mass-issued rifle.

Before I sell it, I will CAD it and see about possibly reproducing them in the future -- though God only knows when I'd find time. No promises.

So, the BARREL BAND would be up for sale if it's worth it. I paid in the neighborhood of $40 shipped for this band. Came from someone in Finland.

This is the picture: Image

Regards,

Josh
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

PM sent
Celt

Post by Celt »

Hurry Mr D!
:wink:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Josh Smith

Post by Josh Smith »

Thanks to Desdem, it's up for sale, $50 shipped.

It is an M28 band. I do not know if there's a difference between it and the large M27 band.

I would also be willing in trades for standard 91/30 triggers, or especially 91/30 front sights -- say, five or six of either or combined.

If I need to, I'll post this in the trading section. If it's rare, then I figure it should go to someone who will do other than just study it.

Thank you,

Josh