"Legendary" weapons checklist

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
blackwolf97

"Legendary" weapons checklist

Post by blackwolf97 »

When I bought my M44, I sure wasn't counting on it being classified as an important weapon of WW2. I bought it because it looked cool and beautiful. I'm about to list the weapons that I would LIKE to buy because I think that they are legends of their time and would like a functioning "museum" of sorts. What I'm asking for is input regarding the other "legends" or "important" weapons of the past.

Russian AK-47
Chinese SKS
American M1 Garand
Russian Dragunov SVD
Colt M1911 or 1911A1
Remember the Luger from Band of Brothers? Yeah, that handgun.
FAL
Russian Makarov handgun
Russian Tula M91/30

ADD:
Winchester 94
Colt Peacemaker
Mauser K98

My modern tactical collection will consist of a Remington 700 (M24), Sig P239, M4, bolt-action semi-automatic 12ga, and my wife's Remington 770.
Last edited by blackwolf97 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Re: "Legendary" weapons checklist

Post by websterz »

Winchester '94!! :Drool1:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Mauser 98 (either 98 Gewehr or 98 K)
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Ditto on the Mauser K98K!

What...no Lee Enfields? You have GOT to add a No.I MkIII to that list. If you cant find a No.I then a No.4 will do. :wink:

M1 Carbine...my favorite.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A few submachine guns also could be added ...a schmeiser or a grease gun, maybe a thompson. Don't forget the Finns or the M91 mosin, Swedes and swiss.... it never ends does it? :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hey blackwolf, nice list :)

I thought of doing the same thing, but then realized the list never ends. Not only are there all these weapons, but there are variations of each one. And then you start throwing in things like the Arisakas and the Swiss K31. I don't even know all the firearms that can be associated with WWII in way or another, but, I bet its a pretty big list! And once you open it up to "all wars" (such as the Dragunov), then the list becames almost infinite.

Its good that you are thinking the way you are though. I find myself walking into a gun shop with the intent to look for mil-surplus rifles, but walking out with yet another .22 lol. As everyone here always says, the best thing to do is "buy the one that speaks to you".
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
youmightbearedneck

Post by youmightbearedneck »

desdem12 wrote:A few submachine guns also could be added ...a schmeiser or a grease gun, maybe a thompson. Don't forget the Finns or the M91 mosin, Swedes and swiss.... it never ends does it? :biggrin:
Carl Gustav m/45 aka Swedish-K

Would be very cool
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass [Frederick Baily] (1818-1895), escaped slave, Abolitionist, author, editor of the North Star and later the New National Era
August 4, 1857
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Did somebody say Enfield :?: How about a No1MkIII 8-) 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I saw a rifle like that one in the gun shop today. It caught my eye the way the furniture goes right out to the end. Very nice looking.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The Thompson has to be on the list. It has a cool factor that can't be beat. Or maybe it is just my age showing. :?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

Sturmgewehr 44 the first assault rifle

Gatling Gun

C-96 Broomhandle Mauser

Colt Single Action Army

Springfield 1903
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Ban-One wrote:Ditto on the Mauser K98K!

What...no Lee Enfields? You have GOT to add a No.I MkIII to that list. If you cant find a No.I then a No.4 will do. :wink:

I would have to modify that list somewhat.....

Markarov's and Chinese SKS's are nice guns, but legendary? Really the K98, M1 Carbine and Garand and of course the No1 MKIII or No4 Enfields are truly legendary weapons, not just nice, simply you can feel the history in every one held and really define legendary.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
blackwolf97

Post by blackwolf97 »

lol, yeah, I want a Tommy Gun, but it's a crying shame that I'm not FFL3. I'm not a big fan of the Enfields at all. I think that they're bulky, cumbersome, unsexy. Almost like a bloated, obese, long-dead cow. I looked at the Win94 and REALLY like that weapon's looks. That's been added. The Mauser 98...still unsure. They are gorgeous, but...iunno. I'll have to see one in person and play with it in the store a little bit to tell for sure. Colt S/A Army...if I'm going to do that, might as well snap up a Peacemaker...which I think I'm gonna do :biggrin: IIRC, the Springfield 1903 is related to the M91/30, isn't it? Gatling Gun? Why stop there and not get a Maxim while I'm at it?

The whole reason for making a list that I want in the "armory" is to make sure that I CAN say that there's an end to the madness and make sure I can still afford to go shoot 'em and to say that I am still discriminating in my taste. Otherwise, I might as well be like Nic Cage said in "60 Seconds": "too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money!".
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

There's no end to the madness, once you have a single variant of every type you'll begin sub collections and so on, there is no end :)
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
blackwolf97

Post by blackwolf97 »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:
Ban-One wrote:Ditto on the Mauser K98K!

I would have to modify that list somewhat.....

Markarov's and Chinese SKS's are nice guns, but legendary? Really the K98, M1 Carbine and Garand and of course the No1 MKIII or No4 Enfields are truly legendary weapons, not just nice, simply you can feel the history in every one held and really define legendary.
You still up in the Bradshaws? I call Phoenix home. Man, I miss home...

Anyway, I DO appreciate the history and accomplishments that the Enfields helped to effect, I mean Lawrence of Arabia, the Ghurkans of India, the European Front...the list of deployments quickly adds up, but I just can't seem to appreciate the weapons at all. I tried to handle them and found them HEAVY. They tend to be too long for my T-Rex arms (I'm 5'2" tall). They're ugly imo. Simply stated, I ain't feelin the Enfield, so it doesn't get added.
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
blackwolf97

Post by blackwolf97 »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:There's no end to the madness, once you have a single variant of every type you'll begin sub collections and so on, there is no end :)
I am having trouble deciding if I want to buy a sniper 91/30 in honor of Vasilli Zatsev (sp?) of Enemy At The Gates fame or to simply get one of those monsters and call it close enough. Once I do snap one up, though, that's the one I'm sticking to. I don't INTEND to get the variants of each, just one.
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If only you knew how many times those exact words were uttered by the folks of this forum you would be on the floor laughing right now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But i support your desire to just by one and stop (BUYBUYBUYBUYBUY) Really I do ( :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: )
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

blackwolf97 wrote:Once I do snap one up, though, that's the one I'm sticking to. I don't INTEND to get the variants of each, just one.
Thats what everyone says :D
Mosins are extremely addicting. Probably because of their affordability and because every rifle is different. They each have their own personalities :)
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Sorry, no offense, but the true "history" is in a rifle's heritage or in the case of Mil-Surplus, its actual time in battle. Call of Duty, Enemy at the Gates and other related movies have been great for gun collectors...as exhuberant fans of this media run out to buy the hero's weapon of choice. But, a true collector values "all" weapons for their significance. And, no "legends" weapons list could be complete without an Enfield. Hell, a Dragunov may be cool, but it nowhere compares in historical significance to an Enfield or a Mauser, even the Swiss K31 (all of which are "obese cows"). A M91/30 sniper is cool, yes, but its pretty pricey :) Garands too. The Dragunov SVD you mentioned is $4K.

Its very cool to have a list and a theme, but to segregate based on a rifle's stock size is sort of going against the theme :)

Anyway, good luck!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

MN Fan wrote: Enfield or a Mauser, even the Swiss K31 (all of which are "obese cows").
You are a funny guy there MN. I have blind eyes then and thought i had the prettiest girl at the prom. But beauty is most definately more then skin deep. :lol: :lol: