Belgian Congo 1894

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
kjohn

Belgian Congo 1894

Post by kjohn »

Here's an interesting old rifle. In 1913, Winchester made approx. 200 Model 94's for the Belgian Army. These rifles were intended for the Congo. Some may have made it to the Belgian Congo, some made it to Belgium, and some likely never left the North American continent.

The distinguishing feature of these rifles is the side-mounted sling swivels. Apparently Winchester didn't put these on any other rifles, at least not to my knowledge. The one pictured below definitely made it to Belgium, showing its proof marks quite clearly. Although the stocks have been carved up, it seems to be pretty much original otherwise.

This old girl doesn't have the word "METERS" stamped on the sight ladder. Belgian Congo 94's supposedly had that feature. I have another rifle like it that does have "METERS", but no Belgian proofs. The second one has the side-mounted swivels. Go figure.

The second came to me from a fellow whose father used the rifle for supplying food to his family at Herb Lake, Manitoba. He included his Dad's old ammo belt, stocked with some Winchester 30-30 Silvertip ammo, an old hunting knife, and a pin-pricked inscription of the man's name, the location and the dates of 1931 on the knife and 1936 on the belt. I had to replace the second one's butt stock with a rifle stock, as the one that came with it was homemade. The stocks on both rifles, with the exception of the one I replaced, are gumwood.

GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
SA1911a1

Re: Belgian Congo 1894

Post by SA1911a1 »

That looks great. How bout some more pics?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

From what I can see it looks like an interesting piece with some history. Always liked the lever rifles myself, nice to see them on the board :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I see it is a blindee so maybe that is why the difference in marks and such. :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
kyubiie

Post by kyubiie »

Great picture sir, this Belgian Congo is nice to be added in collections, i like old rifle's especially the historicals,
Is their any other pictures of it sir?,

Post by Ban-One »

By all means...more pics please!!! :thumbsup:
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

This is the only other pic I have right now. It is in a heap of guns in cases ready for a gun show.

GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Here's a pic of the other Belgian Congo 94. This one has "meters" on the sight ladder, but no Belgian proofs. It has a side-mounted swivel on the foreend, and came with one on the butt stock. I changed the butt stock, and could only find one for a rifle at the time. I'll need a gumwood stock, then I can install the rear side swivel.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice :) I hope "gun show" doesn't mean you are going to sell it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

There is cool and there is very cool, but that is VEEEEEEERRRRYY COOL :Drool1: :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Wow...friggin beautiful rifles!!!! Either of those would be a fine addition to any gun safe. You have some accessories to go along with that rifle. 8-) I'm a sucker for metal that is "in the white". I actually prefer it when the bluing is worn off and I love the look of these two. Thanks for posting these pics.
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nice :) I hope "gun show" doesn't mean you are going to sell it.
Well, if some one feller boy comes along with the right money, I'll sell the one with the carved up stocks. It won't be cheap, for sure. I don't have any great need to sell it.
kyubiie

Post by kyubiie »

It would be awesome to have some gun show sir, i think i might set and perfect rifle for the entry. :D