J&G $99 Styer M95 carbine (pics)

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
redspoon

J&G $99 Styer M95 carbine (pics)

Post by redspoon »

Possibly the only $99 milsurp you can purchase on line. Had enough grease on it to pack a set of wheel bearings, cleaned up real nice though. Bore is a little dark, but with real nice lands and grooves. This one started life as a long rifle in 1918, and in the twenty's or thirty's shortened and re-chambered from 8x50 to 8x56. The repair on butt stock was where the sling swivel would have been on the long rifle it's now on the left side of the wrist. S/N's on shank, receiver and butt stock match. It also has the Austrian eagles, one on the shank and one on receiver. The front sight is the tall one, used for Police short range duty. I already had the clips and 20 rounds of the Nazi ammo, just for display of course. I got 40 rounds of Privi modern ammo coming for range use, looks like this one wont be going to the range much.$$$ :beek:
It's about 1/2 inch shorter than my M44's and a little lighter in weight. It shoulders real nice and feels good in my hands, hope it shoots well.

Red

ponycarman

Re: J&G $99 Styer M95 carbine (pics)

Post by ponycarman »

Very nice! :thumbsup: I've thought about getting one of these myself :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a nice rifle, and I bet you will be very happy that you bought it at that price one day.

I am glad to know someone got one and likes it. I find it hard not to buy a $100.00 surplus rifle and have looked at those many times. The price and availability of ammo has kept me away. I have a hard time buying something I can't afford to shoot.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

how hard is it really to reload ? that's why I don't buy one either, heck I might buy one anyway soon now that I have this C & R I really like the look of those and they always look to be in really good shape :)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sure looks like a nice one Red. Love the color of the stock. :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:

There is brass and dies for it. The one problem with reloading it is the size of the bullet. It is .330 so it ouwldn't use the regular 8mm bullets. I was at my local reload place and they are carrying carcano bullets so the probly could be talked into getting these also. I aquired 3 boxes of hornady for my 2. There is prvi for about 20 bucks a box. That is close to the same as mosin ammo of prvi.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jdolinski

Post by jdolinski »

Very nice, I have one that I picked up at a local gun show, one of my favorite rifles. :thumbsup:
Destiny
is not a matter of
Chance
It is a matter of
Choice
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Even if you don't shoot these that much they are plain cool rifles. Comeon man!! They are a hundred smacks. You guys spend more on food for cryin out loud. Maybe even more on beer? Maybe some ammo will hit the market from someones wharehouse...maybe :big shock: :thumbsup:
These are worth every penny of the $100. Heck if it makes ya feel better and you want to spend $200 then get 2. :thumbsup: They are fun as heck to shoot also. :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Thats a nice looking rifle..
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nice!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I still need to get one of those....
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The condition of this one looks great. Lee makes a bullet mold for this round. Loading cast bullets coyld open up a whole new opportunity to shoot these, and you could load them to suit your taste and the recoil would be much more managable than the hot surplus ammo. Congrats on a excellent buy.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You got a very nice one. I have 2, 2 carbines and a rifle. Fun to shoot but they do kick.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Absolutely beautiful and with some great markings! You are going to love shooting this one...hang on tight! :lol: These have a reputation for shooting a little high. Use an oversized target at 100 yards to see where the bullets are hitting. Looking forward to the range report!
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

That's a really nice looking rifle. I have a Steyr, also from J&G. I have not shot mine yet, maybe this spring.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus