what are the best surplus rifes to get?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
hoosier81

what are the best surplus rifes to get?

Post by hoosier81 »

Hello,
I'm new to collecting and I'm starting to enjoy more of having original military weapons than tricked out ar's or other new toys.
Currently I have
1943 mosin
yugo 59/60
chinese factory 36 newer sks
vz61 skorpian
I'm on a budget there are alot of guns i would love to own that are over 1000 bucks but I'm getting married in two months need to find guns that are under 500 maybe 600.
I've heard alot of talk about spanish mauser's being good but most of my buddys are still stuck in trick out ar15 land. I would like to find guns that I can shoot but also have alot of history. Anyone know how bad the jap bolt actions are? I was at a gun show today that had a rack full of them for 250-350 bucks.
Any and all imput is appreciated thanks!
hoshow

Re: what are the best surplus rifes to get?

Post by hoshow »

Mausers, Mosins (there are lots of varieties and ammo is very affordable), Carcanos, ect. I believe you can still get a gerrand for just over $500 through the CMP. Are you talking about the ariska bolt rifles from Japan? I think they are solid, but I have never fired one, so better get someone else's opinion :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Sorry that was supposed to say Arisaka not Ariska :oops:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Contact the CMP and get your name on the list for an M1 Garand, that would be the very top of available surplus rifles just now. You already have a Mosin, but not a M39 Mosin, you could get one of them ( or more than one) A Mauser would be next in availability, the 24/47's are still around, but prices are going up, but some dealers still have them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

As far as I'm concerned, this is all personal preference while certainly considering your budget. However, it should also be based on what you want to collect and what you want to shoot. For me, a "casual collector," I want some vintage WWII-era rifles, so I own two Enfields, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Japanese Arisaka, and several Mosin Nagants. The next thing I am looking for is a WWII-era Mauser, but I fear I have waited too long as the supplies are drying up and the prices are going up. Most of my acquisitions have been in the price range you desire; under 500. I shoot pretty much all of them, but I shoot the Mosin Nagants the most. The really serious collector will acquire a Curio and Relic license (C&R). With such a license, you can buy from many different sources at wholesale prices and build large collections. You just have to decide how far you want to go with this. Do you want to be like JYD with a house (and probably several other buildings) full of milsurps and stuff, or do you want to be like me with just a part of the house full of stuff? :shifty:
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Welcome to the world of mil-surp rifles. With a per item budget of $500 you have a whole host of options. There are Mausers from many different countries that are available as well as several different variations of Enfields. Japanese rifles are available as well but the ammo cant be a bit pricey. If you look hard enough you can usually get any of the U.S rifles for around $600. (M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903,1903a3,1917) With $500 in your pocket you can go home with a back seat full of Mosin Nagants. When I first got into this hobby I bought up anything I could and ended up with multiples of several different rifles. This makes for a crowded gun cabinet and a mad wife. I have since tried to limit myself to one or two examples of any given type. How ever you decide to go at it you will likely change course more than once. No matter what you get, always remember that each and every one of these rifles has history , and finding out what that history is can be just as fun and fulfilling as the buying , cleaning, shooting and maintaining . Good luck , you and your wallet will need it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jim

hoshow

Post by hoshow »

If you get your C&R then a whole new world of options will open up :lol:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

There are a ton of rifles for that budget. Try my budget out and the hunt is alot tougher. ($123.45) :shock: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

There are so many ways to collect historic rifles, there just isn't any right or wrong way.

I have chosen to stick with Mosin-Nagant models, forsaking all others. There is a huge variety of known Mosins and probably many unknown ones. It would be hard for me to gather in the necessary information to make smart collecting decisions on a variety of other weapons. It is difficult enough on Mosins alone.

At one time, I had Arisakas and Mausers, SKSs, etc., but traded them, and a lot of modern weapons to improve the quality of my Mosin-Nagant collection.
This one type of weapon will be able to keep me busy chasing the nice ones for the rest of my life. The fun is in the hunt as much as in the capture.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

desdem12 wrote:There are a ton of rifles for that budget. Try my budget out and the hunt is alot tougher. ($123.45) :shock: :lol:
Dug up guns maybe ? :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

As stated already, there are a lot of firearms in that budget. Be very careful during this particular time as prices have become inflated in all categories. With your budget I would get one of each of the popular makers, (IMHO), Mosin Nagant, Enfield and Mauser, all have different models to collect. If you find something you like and likes you, you can always ask here for opinions.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

"need to find guns that are under 500 maybe 600"
Like the man said...first start researching into the CMP and what it takes to get an M1 Garand. It isnt that hard to do and this should be your first move...just my opinion. Second, look for a K98K Mauser before they are all gone. I am partial to Mausers and a K98k is the flagship of any gunsafe. :wink:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Dug up guns maybe ?
I was thinking of burying some guns, so maybe if i dug those up i could afford them at least. (and then act surprised) :o :shock: :thumbsup:
I am hanging tough on the budget. Things have slowed down some though
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

The Swede rifles are very accurate. Still some good deals for them well within your budget.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

tjtM38 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, this is all personal preference while certainly considering your budget. However, it should also be based on what you want to collect and what you want to shoot. :
:pointup:
You are lucky. That is a pretty healthy budget. One more thing to consider, after you find a few focus areas, are the type, and cost of the ammo. I also have a wide range of interest. But since I have a smaller budget, I try to combine my interests into just a few calibers. :2cents:
Cat
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

desdem12 wrote:
I was thinking of burying some guns, so maybe if i dug those up i could afford them at least. (and then act surprised) :o :shock: :thumbsup:
I find cool stuff I forgot about in my own closets all the time :)
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

desdem12 wrote:There are a ton of rifles for that budget. Try my budget out and the hunt is alot tougher. ($123.45) :shock: :lol:
I fel your pain desdem :bwink:
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
desdem12 wrote:
I find cool stuff I forgot about in my own closets all the time :)
I find stuff I forgot I packed away and it's like christmas :thumbsup:. We rotate the kids toys every month or so and everytime we get switch bins the kids think they got new toys :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I tend to pacj stuff away in sealed ammo cans, they sit for ten, twenty years and then I look inside and forgot I had that stuff. I once hid a Remington M1903 in the back of a closet for 14 years and forgot it was there. Dry closet, it didn't rust or even get very dusty, found it one day and couldn't immagine how it got there.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Nothing i find is that cool, but I still get excited when I find a candy bar I was hiding from the kids and forgot about :lol: