New to the site, with an AK

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
CZenner

New to the site, with an AK

Post by CZenner »

Hello all. I just found this site. I have a Romanian WASR that I bought about 5 years ago. It was a left over "ban era" model. It only accepts single stack 10 round magazines and does not have a muzzle brake. I love shooting the gun but I wish it was a 30 round version.
Chris
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New to the site, with an AK

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board Chris, got any Mosins or misurps? There are other WASR owners in the semi auto forum, don't know what models they have :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
CZenner

Post by CZenner »

Yes, I do have a 1942 dated Mosin. picked it up 4 years ago when there was a sale on them for 3 for $69 a piece. It shoot really well, too, but if shooting surplus Bulgarian ammo, the cases split. All other ammo seems to run ok.
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Welcome Chris :welcome: . Any pictures of the AK or Mosin? We love pictures :mrgreen: . :post_r:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
CZenner

Post by CZenner »

ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Welcome! We do love pics :D

Very nice!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Nice looking WASR! 8-) The magazine well can be opened up to accept double stack mags...that's what Century Arms does. All it takes is a dremel and a steady hand. :lol: Directions can be found on youtube...go figure. Check your local laws before you attempt anything to make sure that it is legal to do so.

Post some pics of your Mosin Nagant over on the MN forum when you get a chance, and welcome to the forum!
CZenner

Post by CZenner »

Thanks all. I actually called the local ATF to see if it was legal to open it up for the double stack 30 round magazines. As long as I have the pre-requisit number of US made parts (per regulations under 18 U.S.C. section 922(r)), it would le legal. I just don't want to mess it up since it shoot so nice.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

First off, welcome to the site. Lots of great guys here (and some grumpy old gits as well, but harmless). Nothing wrong with the 10 round versions, helps save ammo in my experience! I just sold off a Saiga in x39 that was fully converted but ended up with a nice Chinese SKS so still shooting the caliber and not missing the 30 round mags at all!
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Welcome to the forum. You have a nice looking "ban era" rifle. Looks like if Dianne Feinstein gets here way, it will be on the ban list again along with my AK (an Arsenal SL 21-61; Saiga/Izhmash). There is nothing wrong with ten round mags; they may even be preferred by many shooters in view of the controversial legislative action being proposed. I'm not sure I would attempt on my own to modify your weapon for fear of screwing it up permanently, but then again, I'm not a gunsmith. I'm sure a properly trained person could modify your weapon to accept the double-stack mags if you don't feel comfortable doing the work.

My rifle accepts all standard double stack AK mags for 7.62x39, so I own some including a couple of Bulgarian steel 30-round mags that are first rate steel construction and fit perfect. Nevertheless, my preference at the range is the 10-round Tapco mags and the stock Arsenal 5-round mag that came with the rifle. These are lighter composite construction and make shooting from a table or bench (as well as all other shooting positions) more comfortable.
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

CZenner welcome to the forum.About changing to a 30 Rd. magazine,I have several AK47s with 30 Rd. magazines and also 5, 10 and 20 rds.too. You can also find magazines with even larger capacity. One thing I have found out about the greater capacity mags. is the barrel gets very hot when fired rapidly. So much so that I have had to stop shooting after more than the second 30 round mag. I have melted a cheaper shoulder strap by letting it lay against the barrel to long after 40 or 50 rapidly fired rounds. The larger magazines can get in the way when laying in the flat prone position against the ground or table top.The extra weight of more rounds can also become tiresome if you shoot from the standing unaided position. My wife is not very big so she is more comfortable with the lighter 10 round magazine. unless you are going to be in a real firefight you might also find no real need for the extra rds.Good luck JGC
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Great looking AK :Drool1: :thumbsup: . If you have any pics of the Mosin we would love to see it :mrgreen:. Enjoy the forum.
rusko75

Post by rusko75 »

Very nice!!! A must have for every collection.
CZenner

Post by CZenner »

Thanks for all the replies, everybody! I'm not going to modify it to accept the 30 rnd mags. Like I said, it shoots great and I wouldn't want to mess it up. I have a good friend that owns a gun shop here in North East Iowa and he has a pretty good supply of AK-47's and AK-74's that will shoot the 30 round mags.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am surprised he has any left in stock with the current gun buying insanity going on.
Theodore Roosevelt
CZenner

Post by CZenner »

He has a few left. He spends all winter in Arizona, so his shop has been closed since Nov.. He should be back to Iowa in March. It's a small gun shop that only a few know about.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In som eplaces they have tripled in value, he might want to hold on to them for himself. I know that type of shop, we had one here 30 years ago, walls covered in 100 years of milsurps, then the owner passed and they were all sold, some to me :)
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:In som eplaces they have tripled in value, he might want to hold on to them for himself. I know that type of shop, we had one here 30 years ago, walls covered in 100 years of milsurps, then the owner passed and they were all sold, some to me :)
By "some" do you mean all :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All but one it would seem, until the man gets home anyway :)
Theodore Roosevelt