What to look for in AK47

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
warhawk77

What to look for in AK47

Post by warhawk77 »

I'm thinking of trading a current firearm for a AK47 but I don't know much about them. I'm trying to learn all I can so i don't get burned on the deal.

Anyone have a video, thread, or just a check list on what to check? I want one that will take 30 round mags(if I can find them any more) and I like the wood stock. This will be a range gun and maybe a few coyotes from time to time. So I don't need a super fancy rifle I would be afraid to drag thru the mud.
bimmey

Re: What to look for in AK47

Post by bimmey »

One thing I've found about AK's is they all handle a little differently. All of them work flawlessly, but I have found some to have too short a stock or a poor cheek weld. Like shoes I would not buy one without feeling how it handles first. Hope this helps, and good luck on your search. They are great guns!
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I just sold a SAR-1, that I used for 12 years and never had any problems with it. There were some on GB for decent prices the last time I looked.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

To warhawk 77: The Gun Digest Book of the AK & SKS by Patrick Sweeney "A complete guide to guns and ammo." is a good place to start for about $25.00 in most book stores. I have about a dozen different AK models and this book has been very helpful. Lots of pictures and diagrams.Good luck,JGC :thumbsup:
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

My experience with the platform spans only 6 months, as I bought mine in July of 2012. It is an Arsenal Inc. SGL 21-61. The receiver is Izhmash and the barrel is a chome-lined Russian. The fire control is TAPCO and the furniture is U.S. made. The rifle was assembled in Arsenal's Las Vegas facility. I absolutely love it; would trust my life on it. Good luck finding one, as they are getting very scarce. Good luck finding extra mags, as everyone has gone crazy buying the things. Glad I got this rifle when I did.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I looked for something as close to current Russian standard current issue (albeit in a semi-auto version) as I could get. Every review I read in a number of publications about this rifle indicated that it was built with quality and was as close to the current AK-74/AK-100 Russian as you could get in the US civilian market. The only thing I wanted different was the caliber, as I chose 7.62x39.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

One thing to help answer the question, what nationality AK, Egyptian, Polish, Chinese, Yugoslavian. The model would help narrow it down also WASR, Mak, ect. Yes they are all AK's and generally problem free, but much like any weapon they can have known issues, especially ones made by US importers from parts kits.

Mine consist of two Norinco Mak-90's and a Czech Vz 58, while not a true AK, it's more like a hybrid Ak/SKS design. Chinese Mak-90's are generally highly regarded due to a thicker receiver 1.5mm vs standard 1mm thick and a factory double hook trigger. Both are pretty accurate till the Vz comes out. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

If buying used (especially a private sale) ask to test fire it and offer to supply the ammunition. I have a beater WASR 10/63 and a MAK 90 Sporter. Conventional wisdom would say the MAK 90 would be the better rifle but the WASR is more accurate and generally handles better. When I get the time I'm going to really tear the MAK down as far as possible and check some things out. I have a feeling that there is a minor problem causing it to FTE and a burr or some minor fault in the barrel causing the erratic groups.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The WASR is considered by many as the worst you could do & most every one of them function all the time. Good advice all around.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Ironnewt wrote:If buying used (especially a private sale) ask to test fire it and offer to supply the ammunition. I have a beater WASR 10/63 and a MAK 90 Sporter. Conventional wisdom would say the MAK 90 would be the better rifle but the WASR is more accurate and generally handles better. When I get the time I'm going to really tear the MAK down as far as possible and check some things out. I have a feeling that there is a minor problem causing it to FTE and a burr or some minor fault in the barrel causing the erratic groups.

I wonder if it's a worn ejector causing FTE? I missed out on a WASR, I should have got one when I had the chance, but something else always took priority. :D

You can also get into specialty AK's, Veprs, and PSL's, Saiga's and other variants. :thumbsup:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

It sounds like you want a solid utility rifle to use once in awhile but that wont get too much use. If this is the case then I wouldnt spend $1000 (or equal in trade) on a top of the line AK. A good WASR 10/63 will serve you just fine and they are half the cost. I think all of the WASR's are built by Century Arms and there are some QC issues to watch out for. Check to make sure that the gas block and front sight are lined up properly. Century had a reputation for canting these which can cause problems. Also check the magazine wells to make sure they have been opened up neatly. Some WASR's have been very neatly done but some are a complete mess which leads to excessive magazine wobble. When looking at a Century WASR you also want to check the paint very carefully on all of the metal as sometimes you will see paint right over the rust spots. DO NOT buy a WASR sight unseen online! These can be great rifles but you should inspect the rifle before you buy it. If you can verify that the rifle has been put together properly then you wont have any trouble with a cheap WASR...as long as you dont shoot hollow point. :lol:

What are you using for a trade?