Took my M91/30 out today

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
optikalillushun

Took my M91/30 out today

Post by optikalillushun »

With three strippers of the non corrosive ammo to try it out. Ate everything, so i can get some more. One thing i did notice, where the target was set up, i could hit the dam thing cuz i couldnt see it! I wish there was an easy and reversible scope mount so i can shoot long range (target was approx 150 yards).

I let my friend shoot it, and he liked it alot. When i told him how much i paid for it he said he wanted to get one. He wont get one anytime soon but if they go on sale again i might talk him into it. But i enjoying shooting it again and i can safely say a cinderblock stands no chance against a 7.62x54R :mrgreen: . I was kicking myself for not bringing more ammo out but we had all kind of toys out (.22LRs, shotguns, 30-06, handguns) so it was a little of everything.

Side note, after soaking the bolt in mineral spirits and really scrubbing it i didnt have any stickey bolt issues today. Only issue i had (well two) was loading the stripper clips and each set of 5 rounds, the first one was stubbon coming out of the magazine. Everything else cycled like butter and im very happy now the bolt doesnt get hard to cycle.

Now, i wish i could go out again tomorrow! Glad i got a 440 round :spam2: can last year!
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
jonnyboy091373

Re: Took my M91/30 out today

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

very nice :) it is amazing how fast ammo goes.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Simple solution to the target problem, move it closer, that's what I do :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

That sounds like a good day of shooting! 8-) I like to get bigger targets and them move THOSE closer. :lol: The 91/30 is a pleasure to shoot and the ammo wont break the bank.
optikalillushun

Post by optikalillushun »

shooting across a small body of water, lol unless i make a floating target.
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I get the big 5' targets that are or were .50 they kind of have a man outline on them. I can see them at 100 yds anyway. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I still try and shoot out toward the 350 yard mark at times but frankly if I hit anything out there it is a whole lot of luck. Eyes like everything elese are wearing out! But it beats the alternative! Bill :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Remember that Mummy movie were the mummy just took the eyes of someone who had a good set? We may have to perfect that technology, hmmmm....were's the Mosin Kid? I bet he don't wear glasses :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
xwingnut

Post by xwingnut »

I learned that there is a certain way to load the cartridges into the stripper clip because of the rimmed casing. They will overlap each other, so make sure to always place one cartridge ahead of the other so they slide "clean" off of the one below. The same goes for loading singlely into the magazine. I'm hoping I'm not repeating what somebody else has already said, I don't want to step on anybody else's toes.