Retiring a Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MrJonathanMosin

Retiring a Mosin

Post by MrJonathanMosin »

I took my 1938 Izhevsk apart last night to clean off more cosmoline that had seeped out. This is what I found. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Has the same crack on the opposite side. One crack is hidden by the stock, the one in the pic sits just above it, so I probably wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't taken it apart. I've only put 60 rounds through this rifle. 60 too many perhaps. The muzzle had been counter bored, so it's been well used in it's life. Too bad I have to shelve it.

Good excuse to get another one, but still sad about it. At least I still have a 1930 Hex Tula/Izhevsk refurb I can shoot.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Retiring a Mosin

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum, that's too bad, and only the second time I have seen such a thing on a Mosin. We had one show up with a similar problem on the old board a few years ago. Well, wallhanger for sure. This also illustrates the reason why we suggest stripping down and inspecting any weapon before shooting it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This is a good example of why it is so important to look these over carefully. When old milsurps are sold with the disclaimer to have it checked by a competent gunsmith this is the kind of things they would be looking for. It just takes careful attention to be your own gunsmith.
MrJonathanMosin

I'm going to be taking my Hex apart and checking for this as well, just to make sure. As a side note, the only split case I've had had was in the '38 with the cracked receiver. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but that's what I noticed.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The split case was more likely the ammo, it happens with some lots of the older Soviet stuff we have been seeing lately. Always check a rifle, any rifle, and keep checking it each time you clean it, that's the only way to catch something like this before a catastrophic failure. You got very lucky here, win the lotto lucky.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

Hate to see that. At least you found it at home and not at then range.
rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

Wow, makes me want to re-check all of mine. Good catch.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

If i may ask,where was the cosmoline coming from? Wood or metal?
These rifles get very hot.Very important to get all cosmoline out of the rifle.
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
MrJonathanMosin

A lot of it was seeping out from under the rear sight base, so I decided to pull the whole thing down and see if it was anywhere else.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It loves the rear sight base, and under the action, inside the bolt. Strip the next rifle down to it's parts, a lesson I bet I don't need to explain to you now.
Theodore Roosevelt
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Thanks for this post. It's something I didn't think of looking for. I know better now.

"...was blind, but now I see."
CJ
MrJonathanMosin

How would cosmoline make the receiver crack?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It wouldn't cause any harm unless the chamber was seriously coated with it when a round was chambered and fired causing an overpressure situation. That would be extremely rare, and probably not the issue here. Shit happens sometimes and with literally millions of Mosins made it's inevitable that there will be a few that fail, that happens with any weapons platform no matter what it is or who makes it. We have no idea what abuse these rifles have seen in their long service life, but I would expect it to have been considerable.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Wiser & older hands here alreay know this but for us newbe's it is a given that one must take each rifle completely apart and examin it befor shooting.

I go over EVERYTHING..........EVERYTHING..........and I check and recheck. Only then do I shoot them.

Havn't seen a crack like that before.......scarey indeed!! :beek:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

This is a great post illustrating why it is so important to detail strip these wonderful old rifles before shooting them. Who knows what these rifles have been through and how they were handled. I am sorry to hear about your rifle but I am glad you didn't get hurt. Thanks for the post!
MrJonathanMosin

Hey, no one is more glad than me. I usually go out alone and shoot, so if this thing felt like failing it could have meant the end of me. Hell, even if I was at a range full of people it still could have been deadly. I'm going to strip my Hex down and look at it really close.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Sorry about your find. Be sure and note this problem for future owners. Write a note, "Danger, cracked receiver, do not shoot", and slip it in the chamber, under the barrel in the wood channel, even under the butt plate. You may be long gone when you grand kids decide to go shoot grampa's gun.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

What about filling the chamber with Feroseal or some other product so that it could not be fired under any condition.....just asking.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Yes. Deactivate this gun.

Very, very rare circumstance to see a crack in a Mosin Nagant receiver. But it has happened, and it should be retired safely.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

Wow sorry to see that. Time to get my Magnifier out.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent