Ammo question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mikerb55

Ammo question

Post by mikerb55 »

Has anyone ever used this ammo? I'm looking for something to use in my local indoor range.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/1 ... ecoil-ammo

:wink:
John Wayne as John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
vintovka mosina

Re: Ammo question

Post by vintovka mosina »

It sounds good, at 2 cents a round it would be a lot of fun....however I'm kind of
Concerned about the "hollow" terminology ...my state has a thing for "hollow points" ..not 100 % on
"Hollow core" vs "hollow point"
"Hollow point" is ilegal and I can see me trying to explain "hollow core" to the range does some one
Have a light on this?
Reloading also would be an option .....maybe?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

mikerb55 wrote:Has anyone ever used this ammo? I'm looking for something to use in my local indoor range.

It's not hollow point. It's hollow core low recoil and has a plastic core in a metal jacket. It's only a 46gr projectile compared the the normal 148gr surplus ammo. It's basically training ammo and is deadly but has very low impact energy even though it has a muzzle velocity of 3200fps. I wouldn't think a range would have a problem with it because it basically disinegrates on impact for the most part. It's not destructive to backstops and doesn't really ricochet. My advice would be to call them and ask. It's as accurate as normal ammo from what I've heard. Oh and you can email Sam at SGAmmo about it if you have any questions. He'll get back to you fairly quickly.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I ain't no math whiz, but it sure looks like a lot more than $.02 per round. But still looks like a good deal if you have to shoot at a commercial range.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

Thanks guys! I've talked to the local range and they will get back to me. I really don't see this as being a problem. I'll let you know what I hear back.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

I've used this ammo, it's fun. I fired it from an M44, there was no recoil. I still has all the bang of the full loads (and was great for fireballs) but again, no recoil.
vintovka mosina wrote:It sounds good, at 2 cents a round it would be a lot of fun....however I'm kind of
Concerned about the "hollow" terminology ...my state has a thing for "hollow points" ..not 100 % on
"Hollow point" is ilegal and I can see me trying to explain "hollow core" to the range does some one
Have a light on this?
Hollow points aren't illegal in CA. Maybe LA has some restriction on them, but they are legal under state law.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
vintovka mosina

Cool,
I thought it was cheap for 29 you get 108 rounds and I am defenitely goikng to look in to it
crwjr

Post by crwjr »

It sounds like a good deal, I would like to have some myself. cant wait to hear how it does out your gun... :toast:
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

How would this light weight round work on small game? Would it take down a rabbit or squirrel, or splatter it all over the woodwork?
Last edited by audadvnc on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

audadvnc wrote:How would this light weight round work on small game? Would it take down a rabbit or squirrel without splattering it all over the woodwork
I think you should try it and let us know...sounds like a good experiment :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
youmightbearedneck

Post by youmightbearedneck »

I have some.
I didn't realize you could get it anymore.
The kids love it. Way easier on the shoulder.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass [Frederick Baily] (1818-1895), escaped slave, Abolitionist, author, editor of the North Star and later the New National Era
August 4, 1857
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

youmightbearedneck wrote:I have some.
I haven't ordered any yet. My local indoor range tells me if a magnet does not stick to the projectile, I can use it at their range. Can you do this for me an let me know? :vconfused:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

audadvnc wrote:How would this light weight round work on small game? Would it take down a rabbit or squirrel without splattering it all over the woodwork?

Seeing as how the concussion alone should take a squirrel at 50 yards, this stuff should work fine.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I think it would obliterate the little fellas.
youmightbearedneck

mikerb55 wrote:
I haven't ordered any yet. My local indoor range tells me if a magnet does not stick to the projectile, I can use it at their range. Can you do this for me an let me know? :vconfused:
Yeah sure.
I'll look this evening.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass [Frederick Baily] (1818-1895), escaped slave, Abolitionist, author, editor of the North Star and later the New National Era
August 4, 1857
youmightbearedneck

SA1911a1 wrote:
audadvnc wrote:How would this light weight round work on small game? Would it take down a rabbit or squirrel without splattering it all over the woodwork?

Seeing as how the concussion alone should take a squirrel at 50 yards, this stuff should work fine.
And the fireball should take care of the hair, lol
August 4, 1857
vintovka mosina

Izhevsk762 wrote:I've used this ammo, it's fun. I fired it from an M44, there was no recoil. I still has all the bang of the full loads (and was great for fireballs) but again, no recoil.
vintovka mosina wrote:It sounds good, at 2 cents a round it would be a lot of fun....however I'm kind of
Have a light on this?
Hollow points aren't illegal in CA. Maybe LA has some restriction on them, but they are legal under state law.
WeldonHunter wrote:
mikerb55 wrote:Has anyone ever used this ammo? I'm looking for something to use in my local indoor range.

It's not hollow point. It's hollow core low recoil and has a plastic core in a metal jacket. It's only a 46gr projectile compared the the normal 148gr surplus ammo. It's basically training ammo and is deadly but has very low impact energy even though it has a muzzle velocity of 3200fps. I wouldn't think a range would have a problem with it because it basically disinegrates on impact for the most part. It's not destructive to backstops and doesn't really ricochet. My advice would be to call them and ask. It's as accurate as normal ammo from what I've heard. Oh and you can email Sam at SGAmmo about it if you have any questions. He'll get back to you fairly quickly.

it looks like I am out of luck sgammo will not ship to Los Angeles ......... :vsad: im gonna have to wait to see if i can get some at my next gun show ......
youmightbearedneck

youmightbearedneck wrote:
mikerb55 wrote:
Yeah sure.
I'll look this evening.
OK - I didn't remember last night, but I did tonight.
Sorry man, but...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
August 4, 1857
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well how about that? If I had bet money on that I would have lost. I just wasn't expected the magnet to stick.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

bunkysdad wrote:Well how about that? If I had bet money on that I would have lost. I just wasn't expected the magnet to stick.
Me too BD I'm with you. I've never shot this ammo and have actually never seen it up close. It looks like the white on the tip is maybe white paint over a FMJ casing. The weight of the bullet being only 46gr would make the impact of these be so limited though I wonder just how much damaged they would cause to a backstop at a range. From I've been told they're just a plastic projectile encased in a bi-metal jacket. I know one thing, it's real popular ammo.