do you save your change?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
dou44

Re: do you save your change?

Post by dou44 »

i am about ready to rob my coke machine .i need to buy some ammo unless i find another rifle.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

TulaTom, pennies ain't been copper since 1982, they make them out of zink now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I found some 50 year old pennies in my change from Mcdonalds just the other day that look uncirculated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Pennies and dimes get saved but quarters go in the car wash to keep the truck salt free and clean. I need to take the dimes in fro turn in here as it is getting tight for cash around here right now. Sold off some extras from the collection this month to keep me solvent. Now the truck needs attention so I will be robbing Peter to pay Paul for awhile I guess. The banks are making you fill out a form now if you move X amount of money into or out of an account. They tell you it is to prevent money laundering and I told them I use the washer for that and they didn't laugh one little bit? No sense of humor in banks these days! If it is cold and I go in there with my hoodie up they all start ducking behind the counter. What ails these people? They even kind of looked twice this summer when I kept the helmet on when I came in there on the trike. Dang if they are that jumpy in there they ought to work somewhere else I would say. Bill :wink:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Just dont forget and pack a Mosin in there. You'll end up in government housing for the next 10-15 years. :beek:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
AoxoMoxoA

Post by AoxoMoxoA »

SA1911a1 wrote:I have been doing that for years. It is my ammo fund... but anything in my pants pockets go into the detergent jug... I recently made a big mistake when I suggested my wife go dig her out some quarters for something. She has now found my gold mine and it is no longer safe...
Time to put your detergent jug in your gun safe... :biggrin:
[hr]▫ 1942 Suojeluskuntain Ase ja Konepaja Oy M39
▫ 1952г Tula M45 Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:TulaTom, pennies ain't been copper since 1982, they make them out of zink now.
Yep. I just pull the 1982 and before pennies. More and more people must be doing it, because the percentage of copper I've been getting lately has shrunk considerably. I know guys that are taking their nickels out as well.

I spent some of that fishing money today. :redfaced: Found a 1944 Izhevsk M44 for $74.15 out the door from a lgs. I couldn't pass that price up. I don't see many M44's around here and when I do they are usually priced around $225-$250. It's in the war time stock with the single ear ramped bayonet socket. Counterbored probably a good inch/inch and a half, with an OK looking bore. Force stamped matched, except for the magazine floor plate that was etched to match. The stock has one refurbishment repair on the side, but not that noticeable. So yeah, not a museum piece and unfortunately not a '43, but at that price I couldn't say no.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Ok here's the scoop. I saw a news report the other day about pennies. It started out about a guy who saves pennies in a big way. He has 5 gallon buckets of them all over his house. The price of copper has driven the value of true copper pennies to about 1.5 cents give or take. Then the news segment went to a place that's doing it on a larger scale. It's a warehouse somewhere that's extremely well guarded with armored trucks visiting it daily to bring pennies to be sorted by metal content and collectable value. The collectable pennies are saved for sale to collectors and the true copper pennies are being hoarded in anticipation of the penny being discontinued as currency so they can then melt them down and sell the copper for a profit. They can't do that now because it's illegal to destroy US currency.
RudyN

Post by RudyN »

I save all my dimes, nickels and pennies in a jar and take them in for exchange once in a while. All of the real copper pennies go in a special jar and do not get spent. I even have a few steel pennies from WWII.
Rudy N
1926 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1929 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1935 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
1943 Tula 91/30
1943 Tula M38
1944 Izhevsk M44
1944 VKT M39
1928 SIG M28
1956 T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I find a few wheat back cents in my change every year, and of late I have been seeing a lot of bicentennial quarters 1776-1976 in real nice shape. I am guessing that someone is hitting hard times and liquidating a jar full of them someplace.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
KenManiac

Post by KenManiac »

I found a real silver quarter in my pocket change the other day, haven't seen one of them turn up in a while.

I save nearly every $5 bill I get, they go to my savings/retirement/guns and ammo fund.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I mostly find silver dimes, and sometimes wartime silver nickles.
Theodore Roosevelt
1934hexreceiver

Post by 1934hexreceiver »

I try to save mine. And I usually do. Until I need a lil extra $ to go out on the weekends. Haha
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I had a pile of change saved up and stashed in the hunting gear and would take it with me in case. Never had an in case so i turned it into a 43 Tikka M91 and a 43 Sako M39 this summer. Now i have to start all over again. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Celt

Post by Celt »

I do also, that's how i buy my chew!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I don't get a lot of change as mostly I spend 'plastic' not real paper stuff, but what change I do get goes into a couple of the heavy aluminum bottles that some of the energy drinks come in, these are stashed in my gun safe. I made the mistake some time back of having a container under my nightstand that I tossed my change in but all the silver stuff seemed to have a habit of disappearing. Of course NO ONE had any idea who might have been making off with it, so to stop them damned elves from making off with it in the middle of the night I had to lock it up...
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I have been saving coins for years. My dad used to save all the wheat pennies and silver coins he got. I do the same. I sort my change when I take it out of my pocket. I have a metal bowl on my desk for the coins I want to keep. These eventually get sorted and added to my collection of old coins. Everything else gets tossed in a jar that I occasionally cash in. When I was in college I worked at a gas station. I accumulated quite a bit of good coins while working there. One evening I opened a roll of quarters and the entire roll was silver. It had came from the bank that morning. The two of us working that evening bought all the rolled coins and split them. We scored 2 rolls of silver quarters and a roll of wheat pennies each.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice haul of silver :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

All my change went away with all the hope :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!