Yugo M48A Problem

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ziggy53

Yugo M48A Problem

Post by ziggy53 »

I have this great looking M48A and I like to shoot it...BUT it shoots VERY High ..the rear sight is at its lowest setting and it still shoots 12 to 15 inches high at 100 yards....haven't tried it at 300 or beyond yet.....Has anybody had this trouble and found a way to correct it ????? :?: ...holding low is very poor choice at best....THANKS
Greasemonkey

Re: Yugo M48A Problem

Post by Greasemonkey »

It's fairly normal, they are sighted in at about 300 meters, though yours seems higher than most, 6 to 10 inch is about normal. Also what kind of ammo, Prvi, S&B, surplus? They all will hit at different heights due to the difference in loadings.

What I did to correct it on my shooter, I used a Czech front sight which is about the tallest and allows for filing down for the elevation adjustment, and to preserve the original front sight. It worked pretty good on mine, I set it about 2 inch high at 100yds.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Almost every Mauser I own does the same.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Aim for the belt buckle...hit'em in the chest. I know, not the answer you want to hear but there it is. Have you posted any pictures of your rifle? We would love to see it.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Almost every Mauser I own does the same.
I asked about this myself. I have 5 Mausers now and have shot only two so far. Both of the ones I shot are VZ24s and one has been my main hunting rifle. I've never spent a lot of time sighting it in before but it seemed to be on the paper when I did (been a few years). Now all the times I've shot it at target's I was using Yugo 198gr FMJ 50s mil-surp. I only hunted with Remington Core-Lokt 170gr and every deer I've shot took one shot and they dropped right there. I decided to try and shoot it for accuarcy the last time Freg_G and I shot and couldn't believe it. It was shooting over the target at 75yds and at 100yds wasn't much better. I can't believe I ever even hit anything with it. The other VZ24 I shot that day was one of the ones from AIM and wasn't much better. I have one more VZ24 to clean and shoot, as well as a 24/47 and an M48. Hopefully one will be a little closer to the target. I can't shoot much farther than that because the sights are so hard to see.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Mauser dates to a time when military thinking was you engage the bad guy at 300-400 meters/yards/arshins I just gave up with them and started getting used to using a six O'clock hold every time I fire one. The only 8mm Mauser shooter I have that seems to be sighted in at 100 yards is the SAFN49, that rifle is always shooting to POA at shorter ranges with no problem. Sights are better on the eyes also.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Mouser? What is a Mouser? I collect and shoot Mosins are there other brands? :chuckles: Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, there were a couple of other turn bolt actions, but if we want to be picky about it the first military to adopt one was the Swiss with the Vetterli.
Theodore Roosevelt
notabiker

Post by notabiker »

i have bought 9 mosins in the last 6 months, finally figured i needed a mauser. so it is a 9-1 ratio. :mrgreen: . and a couple of SKSs thrown in for good measure. still looking for un opened boxed on sale 91-30s. my last mosin is a 1928 issy ex dragoon. the most fun is taking them apart and cleaning them up and bringing them back to shooters. funny not 1 mosin has given me firing problems. my mauser had feed and ejecting problems until i fixed it. :chuckles: