This is why we disassemble...

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Ban-One

This is why we disassemble...

Post by Ban-One »

I was looking in the gun safe and decided to pull out a Carcano M38 that I had not handled in a very long time. I remember that when I bought this years ago I put it away and I never fired it. While looking it over I realized that I had never detail stripped this rifle for inspection of parts and cleaning. I never fire any of my rifles unless I have taken apart every piece for a good cleaning and inspection. When I took the bolt apart I was shocked to see that the tip of the firing pin was eaten away to the point of breaking. I have never seen this condition before. I have seen people ask if it is really necessary to detail strip these wonderful old rifles before test firing.

This is why we disassemble them....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: This is why we disassemble...

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Only time I have seen the like of that was on a nasty Arisaka .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Excellent post ban one! Man you are so right. You just don't know what's in the pickle barrel till you get the lid off and peek inside!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

bunkysdad wrote:Excellent post ban one! Man you are so right. You just don't know what's in the pickle barrel till you get the lid off and peek inside!
I'll second that. :thumbsup:
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Makes me think of several that I need to tear down and look at. Sometimes, you get so caught up in buying and then get busy, you forget what's new. :brolleyes: :brolleyes:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I too never shoot it until it has been torn down & inspected.

Great point, great thread. :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

Especially with these rustic monsters, they can be in pretty dire mechanical condition and still make it go bang.
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I do the disassemble too. I have a routine (had). It gets took down checked over cleaned up and then it is scheduled for range trips. I have not been to the range in a while though so things are building up. Have a Finn M91 day sometime and then i have a new gun test sometime around new years hopefully. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

When I first got my Czech 98/22 I ran a rod through the barrel and took it out without a complete takedown. 2 shots later, something was wrong. The action was jumping around in the stock. Upon a complete disassembly I discovered that some previous owner had over tightened and snapped the front action screw. To add insult to injury, he then JB Welded the screw back together. It felt tight when I checked it, but snapped on the first shot, I am sure. Moral of the story. Take em completely apart and check them before firing. This holds true for any milsurp. I take my new modern guns apart too.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have 2 M91's that have not been to the range yet. Just received the M91 Dragoon so I can add that to the list. I need to take it apart, safety check it, check headspace, clean and oil, the take it and the 91's out.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics, pics......:)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I have yet to figure out how you can buy one and not have it torn down within a half-hour of getting home with it. (and the half hour, only if you have to do something important, like a bowel movement).

Seriously, I always take a new one down soon after it's arrival. If there is anything going on with the metal, I want to get it under control asap. I also like to examine the markings, and photograph anything that is unusual.

Neither, have I gone more than a couple of days before shooting the rifles. They must be evaluated, you know........
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I like to do a quick tear down and check it over, I may not clean it right away unless I see something that needs immediate attention, and I may not shoot it for days, weeks, or years, depends on what I have going on and how bad the arthritis in my hands is being that day.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

I always disassemble them first, and go over everything with a fine toothed comb. (Well, a magnifying glass, anyway!)

That firing pin tip looks nasty! :big shock:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

entropy wrote:I always disassemble them first, and go over everything with a fine toothed comb. (Well, a magnifying glass, anyway!)

That firing pin tip looks nasty! :big shock:
I'm surprised you didn't bring up my SKS floating firing pin incident. :wink: :shock:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

SA1911a1 wrote:I have yet to figure out how you can buy one and not have it torn down within a half-hour of getting home with it. (and the half hour, only if you have to do something important, like a bowel movement).

Seriously, I always take a new one down soon after it's arrival. If there is anything going on with the metal, I want to get it under control asap. I also like to examine the markings, and photograph anything that is unusual.

Neither, have I gone more than a couple of days before shooting the rifles. They must be evaluated, you know........
SA1911a1 I think I'm lazy, no I am lazy. I have two Tula 91/30's picked up at J@G about a month ago that I have yet to clean up let alone get to the range. There sitting in my office giving the room that surplus gun smell. On this post I'm thinking from looking at that firing pin this is also why we don't dry fire.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

That is what i did not do with a Marlin 60 I picked up a couple of weeks ago.
the Mossberg that was given to me needed a lot of work, But i picked up the
Marlin at the same time an I just wiped it down and ran a couple of patches
down the bore and set aside. I got the parts for the Mossberg and went to
work on it. Well i took it to the range this weekend to try it out and threw the
marlin in the truck with it, Well the Mossberg worked pretty good but still needs
a little tweaking. The Marlin stove piped on just about every shot and I thaught
with every thing I ever read about the Marlin 60 was good. So I took it home and
and tore it down, what a mess I don't think that gun was ever cleaned other then
a wipe down and the bore. Every thing was so packed up I was surprised that it
even fired at all, well it does now and I think it is all most as good as my 10/22.
I usually would not have done that but with the work on the Mossberg and the
way that the Marlin looked on the outside I just let it slide. Never again. you never
know what you have until you tare it down. Thanks for your post Ban-one I think
it will get some others that don't clean there new used gun down before shooting
think twice.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

My grandma picked up a cheap .25 as a deterrent after being mugged when she lived in Florida. She bought a box of shells, loaded the mag and put it in her purse. Never fired it.

30 years later she gave it to me after moving back here to PA. When we transferred it I noticed that the striker was missing. It and its spring were taped up inside the box. It was like that since purchase for some reason, and she had never known it.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Theodore Roosevelt
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

30 years later she gave it to me after moving back here to PA. When we transferred it I noticed that the striker was missing. It and its spring were taped up inside the box. It was like that since purchase for some reason, and she had never known it.

Whoa!...now that is one hell of a story! :shock: