Do you like clean brass?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Thib

Do you like clean brass?

Post by Thib »

Ok... So I'm new to reloading and have started buying stuff, most of my stuff is on it's way. One of the first things that I decided to get after some research was a tumbler with stainless steel pins to clean all the brass I have been collecting. I tried it out for the first time the other night and all I can say is wow! Yes, you deprime before cleaning, the setup is a bit more expensive, the volume of brass you can do is less. However, I ran 220 9mm brass for 2hrs and it came out like new (inside, outside, and primer pocket).

here's some a pic from my phone of the 9mm brass after cleaning.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Do you like clean brass?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice, I run it through the tumbler only if it's seriously tarnished.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Thib

Post by Thib »

I figure I can bribe my son to do it when the bins start getting full with spent cases... like a rock tumbler with a much better end result than a bunch of rocks! :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a 1970's vintage rotary tumbler with corncob media, it works but doesn't get used much. I tend to clean my black powder cases by hand and the 45/70's are nickle plated anyway.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Thib

Post by Thib »

It does feel weird dropping the brass in with the SS pins, a gallon of water, 2 TBsp of dish soap, and a touch of lemishine.... Whatever works, and I do like the fact that I don't have to deal with media.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Eye of newt, leg of frog, pinch of bat......yea, it is an odd sounding combination :)
Theodore Roosevelt
desert drifter

Post by desert drifter »

Never been a big fan of clean brass...mostly cuz the tumblers and media cost so much.... I figured the money could buy powder, primers and bullets. And I really don't where I'd put it. I must admit now...there has been times when looking for an ejected case... a clean one would have been much easier to find that a dull one.

'drif
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The only guys I know who clean all their brass are the ones who have commercial reloading operations going. They need the product to look good I guess.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I much rather prefer clean brass. I tumble my brass in a tumbler with walnut shell media. It's not expensive, does not cause me any stress, and the brass sizes better it seems to me. I would like to get one of the Sonic Ultrasonic cleaners soon for cleaning brass and small parts. These are the same cleaners that jewelers use to clean rings, bracelets, etc....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I should have been saving all the walnut shell fragments I have left over after I eat the nut meat, it never occurred to me and I have been tossing them out!
Theodore Roosevelt
The Bolt Man

Post by The Bolt Man »

I always clean my brass. I can not run dirty brass through good sizing dies,knowing dirty brass is harmful to the surface finish inside the die and in turn the brass. I prefer to be kind to my dies and brass, They both last much longer when the brass is clean.