Finnish M91/24 Update w/ Photos

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ffuries

Finnish M91/24 Update w/ Photos

Post by ffuries »

We made the 160 mile roundtrip back to the GS and it turns out it was a Finnish M24 Stepped Barrel Civil Guard rifle (Lotta Rifle). They let me have it for $180.00 OTD. Will post pictures when we get home. Will take some cleaning. Very little rust after all what I thought was rust and pitting is a "Shellac" looking stuff coating the metal, will take some elbow grease to clean this "Ole Gal"!

The wife is baby clothes shopping now, our Son and DIL had their baby as I was buying the rifle. My first grandson out of 7 grandkids now! I'm finalizing the paperwork and he texts saying "He's here!".

Information from the initial teardown.

Jam free magazine, missing cleaning rod and top handguard.

Receiver Tang: Circle R (Remington)
Barrel: Böhler Stahl
Barrel: Boxed SA (Left side)
Barrel: S with 3 Sprigs (Top side)
Civil Guard Districts: S 103597 (Left side), 104655 and 102164 (Right side, no "S" before these two numbers), quick look shows all three are from the Kokkola District.
Stock: Circled Z with crossed something or other (Stock maker)
Serial Numbers: Barrel, receiver (Never seen Mosin Nagant receiver with a SN), and bolt match 26178, floor plate 7471, no other serial numbers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ffuries on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Finnish Rifle Update

Post by millman »

Congrats!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Fledge

Re: Finnish Rifle Update

Post by Fledge »

What?? I am calling the cops! You stole that one :) congrats
ffuries

Re: Finnish Rifle Update w/ Photos

Post by ffuries »

More pics!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

More pics!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Last of the pics!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Lee-online

Re: Finnish M91/24 Update w/ Photos

Post by Lee-online »

That's a really good rifle for the money. A little tlc and she will be as good as new.

The civil guard numbers show some of its history, pretty cool.
Kollaa kestää
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

After some reading, am I right in assuming that "Missing" handguards are a normal thing with these rifles?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

It should have one but a lot are missing. I'm guessing they broke easily since they were thinner than normal handguards.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

This should be a lesson to never pass up a rifle for under $200.00 unless you know what it is for sure. My M24 is newer by about 2200 serial numbers. You did very well.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Longcolt44 wrote:This should be a lesson to never pass up a rifle for under $200.00 unless you know what it is for sure. My M24 is newer by about 2200 serial numbers. You did very well.
Thank you, still learning as I go......But I have learned this much so far......I know enough to know I don't know enough yet!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
B24

Post by B24 »

With common refurbs bringing $200 you did very well and a much more desirable rifle. Deals
are still to be had but you have to look for them.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Rifle was listed at $199.00 asked if there was any wiggle room, said he'll do $170.00 plus the background so came out to $180.00....I ran as quick as I could back to the Jeep with it to get out of there!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

It's a great rifle. Well worth the effort to get it for sure.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Glad you gave this one a good home.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Very nice rifle! I would say that rifle also has a coat of finish on the wood being it has it on the metal as your great pictures show. I would not mess with the wood at all as what is done is done and anything you do will be an obvious change to the eye of another collector. I would be shot if I suggested a coat of solvent to remove the shellac on the metal so I will leave that subject alone. :roll: Oh the Z in the crossed cannons on the butt stock means you are supposed to send it to me! I keep telling people that but no one listens? Very nice for a nice reasonable price too. Not like the $300 refurbs people are buying for sure! Congrats and enjoy it! Bill :wink:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I would be shot if I suggested a coat of solvent to remove the shellac on the metal so I will leave that subject alone.
:shock: But, I know what you mean :twisted: :lol:
Oh the Z in the crossed cannons on the butt stock means you are supposed to send it to me!
Damn.... I didn't know that :facepalm2: I swear, you learn something every day here... :chuckles:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Did some initial cleaning on it today....Magazine assembly is cleaned, oiled and lacking shellac, the bolt was soaked, cleaned, and scrubbed and now looks like it's supposed to (Took it apart and all the pieces were almost black), rest of the exterior metal looks about right (Little more cleaning to do there).

The barrel, well I'll put it this way, this is the first time I have ever cleaned a gun and when done said it was CLEANER, but not CLEAN. I have never seen the inside of a barrel look so damn dirty, will take a little more work to get the barrel clean. You know it's bad when the wife picks it up looks down the barrel and asks when are you going to clean it. :shock:

The previous owner either lost or removed the return spring on the trigger. So my list of stuff needed for it grows a little.

Sling
Trigger return spring
Cleaning rod
Bayonet
And the ever illusive top handguard

Before and after shot of the bolt.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

That is a great deal you got there. I love the multiple districts numbers. I have a 91/24 bayonet with 3 district numbers on it, two of course crossed out like your rifle. Congrats on the grandson and rifle. You've had a great week.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

zeebill wrote:Very nice rifle! I would say that rifle also has a coat of finish on the wood being it has it on the metal as your great pictures show. I would not mess with the wood at all as what is done is done and anything you do will be an obvious change to the eye of another collector. I would be shot if I suggested a coat of solvent to remove the shellac on the metal so I will leave that subject alone. :roll: Oh the Z in the crossed cannons on the butt stock means you are supposed to send it to me! I keep telling people that but no one listens? Very nice for a nice reasonable price too. Not like the $300 refurbs people are buying for sure! Congrats and enjoy it! Bill :wink:
Oh so that is your "Monogram" or "Property Mark" per se...... :chuckles:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member