1st Mosin, 3rd gun.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
KJProX

1st Mosin, 3rd gun.

Post by KJProX »

Hi guys been poking around for a couple of weeks.

I'm 55 years old and bought my very first gun in Nov. then my wife got one also. I then got the Mosin bug after watching some Youtube video's and wanted one, they looked like a cool gun, fun to shoot and cheap to own and shoot plus it's a piece of history. I had seen a few at Cabela's but by the time I finally got back there they were all gone. On Dec. 24th I went back to a local gun shop that had 5 of them and they still had them. I picked out what I thought was the best one a1939 Izhevsk, numbers match and don't appear to be forced, the butt plate doesn't match, just one scratch on the stock. Came with the sling but no other accy's.

I have not shot it yet (Hopefully soon) but it looks like the gun has been gone through and totally cleaned of all cosmo, bolt cleaned and greased. Has a shiny bore and crown looks good, I'm thinking I'm safe to load it and shoot it and that is my question, should I?

I'll try to get a picture up.
jonnyboy091373

Re: 1st Mosin, 3rd gun.

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Check head space first, or say a prayer. It shouldn't be a problem, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Great first mosin! Can't wait to see the pictures. :)
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

:welcome:
The 8
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Welcome !!!! :D :D :D :D
Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Sure. Getting that Mosin Nagant was a nice accomplishment. But I think the bigger accomplishment is getting the wife on board.
I don't want to mention any names. But many of us have two Mosin Nagant collection numbers. One number being how many we own officially. The other is how many are hiding in the attic, garage, etc.
Wecome to the forum.
Cat
HexNut

Post by HexNut »

+1 Welcome KJ ! So when is your wife getting her M-N rifle ? :chuckles: Then you can submit some his/ her pictures. :thumbsup:
Firearms without ammunition are like teats on a boar hog. Useless!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, check the headspace, you can do this yourself using the Okie headspace gauge , click on the banner at the top of any forum page. With the gauge it is a matter of seconds to see if the weapon is safe. The numbers are force matched, all the refurbished Mosins are, it's just how they were done in the mass production refurbishment process.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Welcome!

If you are smart, this will by your last participation on this forum. Delete the link, use the parential options to permanantly block this site. Otherwise, these crooks will have you buying one Mosin a week, and making you think it is your idea. Don't read any material on the Mosin-Nagant, remember that they are guns from the evil Soviet Empire, that had you hiding under your desk in elementary school. Give the rifle to an enemy, turn it in for a gift card, drop it in a dumpster, use the wood for firewood and the steel for a tomatoe stake, otherwise, it may just take over your life.

You have been warned!..................... :wink:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

Welcome

Congrats on your find and getting your wife on board. Can't wait to see pics
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:alien:

Welcome to the Forum!!

As stated previously, Check the headspace before you shoot it. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I have yet to buy a Soviet refurb that had any headspace problem and all of mine (I have several) checked good with the Okie headspace gauges. Nevertheless, I echo the comments about headspace verification. The safest thing to do is to check it. Once you do, you will find these are very strong bolt actions that will be around long after you and I are history. Feel free to bang away with some of the lowest cost surplus ammo on the the market. Good luck and welcome to best damn firearms forum on the planet. :alien: :welcome:
Augmister

Post by Augmister »

"I don't want to mention any names. But many of us have two Mosin Nagant collection numbers. One number being how many we own officially. The other is how many are hiding in the attic, garage, etc."

LOLOLOLOL.... I think we should come up with a name for that. I sure am GUILTY as charged! :devil2: The Stealth Brigade? :lol: My wife does own a firearm and shoots with me but the rule of the house is "if one comes in, something goes out"... Shhhhhhh!!! I got my first 91/30 in November and she loves the history surrounding this rifle as much as I do. But then there was the M44's that AIM had a few weeks ago and I just could NOT help myself. Soooo, I did. It's been transfered to my FFL, paper work completed and can pick up this coming weekend. It will be "issued" to the Stealth Brigade for deployment at a future date. :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a nice rifle but the policy of this forum is "it doesn't exsist without pictures" :lol: Seriously if you can post up some pictures. We love to see them.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:welcome2:
Augmister wrote:"if one comes in, something goes out"...
That rule has holes all over it. :thumbsup: It specificly does not say that the "something" going out has to be a firearm. I would be trading off the sewing machine and her shoes left and right for more mosins :biggrin: :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

desdem12 wrote::welcome2:
Augmister wrote:"if one comes in, something goes out"...
That rule has holes all over it. :thumbsup: It specificly does not say that the "something" going out has to be a firearm. I would be trading off the sewing machine and her shoes left and right for more mosins :biggrin: :biggrin:
Just make the something going out the Kitchen trash. To keep balance you would need to get at least 3 guns a week. Excellent logic... 8-) 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That's easy enough. A Mosin comes in, the dining table goes out. Another Mosin, and out goes the chairs. A new carbine comes in, and out goes the ottoman. Etc......
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

bunkysdad wrote:That's easy enough. A Mosin comes in, the dining table goes out. Another Mosin, and out goes the chairs. A new carbine comes in, and out goes the ottoman. Etc......
Soon you will have stripper clips of ammo placed strategically where those missing items previously existed.... :shifty:
KJProX

Post by KJProX »

Thanks guys for the welcome. :D

I guess I'll have to check the head space before I shoot it, wouldn't want to have something bad happen. I've been very paranoid about guns all my life so buying one was a big deal and now this 3rd one being a Mosin this is all new to me in just a months time. The 1st and 2nd guns are a S&W 22 pistol for the wife and a Ruger 10/22 I wanted. I really like those guns but this Mosin I'm really looking foward to shooting.

Here is the only pic I have of it so far, I'll try to get some closeup pics soon.

The wife is onboard as far as the guns go but money is limited so can't go all in like I'd like to do plus I finally get into guns and now all the BS going on, so much for getting the AR I wanted or buying cheaper guns. :roll:
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: "Thanks: :cool:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Early stock, nice :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt