21/83 HUNGARIAN LPS STEEL CORE........(edited)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Brownwater

21/83 HUNGARIAN LPS STEEL CORE........(edited)

Post by Brownwater »

I got a good deal on a few hundred rounds of this today. Anyone familiar with it? Steel cases look lacquered - are they? How does it compare to Russian light ball, which is what I've been shooting lately? 7.62x54,BTW.

The reason I'm asking this is that "LPS" stands for Light Penetrating Steel, and it's a 177-grain projectile, vice 148-grain for the Russian light ball. This should alter the ballistics somewhat, shouldn't it? Normally, I would just go to the range and shoot a few groups to compare, but as luck would have it, it will be some time before I can get to the range & I got curious.

Thanks, Butch[/b]