AIM back with M44's

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

AIM back with M44's

Post by Darryl »

zeebill

Re: AIM back with M44's

Post by zeebill »

I find it so ironic that everyone is seeking new M44's when to my memory these were the first Mosin's I ever laid eyes on and were going for $39.95 and they had trouble selling them at that price! Life is marvelous and wonderfull at times! :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

M44's did not move well back then because the market was flooded with M1 Garands, and M1 carbines plus other western milsurps. How can even a cheap M44 have a chance when one fifty buys a nice M1 carbine . Also that was shortly after the wall came down, people still had bad feelings about the Russians and anything Soviet, nobody but a few nuts collected that stuff, of course I have the last laugh as these same people now pay a hundred bucks or more for stupid ass Soviet medals I paid ten bucks for back in '92.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It also didn't help that the spam cans full of east block ammo started coming in years after the first rifles did.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

zeebill wrote:I find it so ironic that everyone is seeking new M44's when to my memory these were the first Mosin's I ever laid eyes on and were going for $39.95 and they had trouble selling them at that price! Life is marvelous and wonderfull at times! :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: Bill :lol:
Yeah, too bad Bill you sold all those refurbs years ago and "swore off of them" and didn't keep them. They would have been worth a lot more now!

I remember when Mausers were $45 each in the early 60's. And I got my No5 Jungle Enfield for $25 in the late 60's. Then all the refurbished Garands and such were released for next to nothing (compared to today's prices). It all goes to show you, value will raise on any firearm. Especially if you wait long enough.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought when they were mid range price wise, and I kept them ,and I am keeping them :) I did buy more than a few back in the real cheap days, mostly Finns , glad I grabbed them while I could.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

dolk wrote:
zeebill wrote:I find it so ironic that everyone is seeking new M44's when to my memory these were the first Mosin's I ever laid eyes on and were going for $39.95 and they had trouble selling them at that price! Life is marvelous and wonderfull at times! :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: Bill :lol:
Yeah, too bad Bill you sold all those refurbs years ago and "swore off of them" and didn't keep them. They would have been worth a lot more now!

I remember when Mausers were $45 each in the early 60's. And I got my No5 Jungle Enfield for $25 in the late 60's. Then all the refurbished Garands and such were released for next to nothing (compared to today's prices). It all goes to show you, value will raise on any firearm. Especially if you wait long enough.

There were no refurbs to my memory back then so comparing that time and rifle to today's refurbs would not be the same animals. One rifle style I really regret not selling the house and buying everyone I could get my hands on was the early M91 crop that sold for maybe $59 or less. That again was not a refurb but look what it is worth today!! AAAAAAGGGGHHH! No don't look it only makes feel dumber :oops:

I still look at refurbs today but buy very few! I wonder after OB what will be left to collect and if I will be able to afford to get them and trade them like I do today. I know all the local gun shops are just about out of ammo and AR's are all gone at premium prices too. Most proprieters wonder if after this knee jerk bans things are installed if they will have a way to make a living! Nothing is out there to replace all the ammo they have sold at top prices too there. All the wholesale houses are almost flat out of everything. So if you wanted ammo you may be flat out of luck! The NICS system is backed up so bad people are starting to wonder if he gets this thing empowered by the first of January like he wants there guns will have cleared by then? Right now your LGS is awash in rumors and really knows little other than they made a killing selling off what they had but now what do they do? Bill :o
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought a new in the wrap M44 in 1995, to the untrained eye it looks like a refurb until you notice the light colored stock and no refurb stamps, it's an unissued Soviet M44, for $50 at the time.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Yup I remember them! Nobody wanted them because they had that wrap on them and it just constantly leaked oily crap. Then if you took the wrap off they said they were no longer worth a premium. Ha ha how times change! Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My dealer took it out of the wrap and put it on display five minutes before he expected me to walk in the door, I bought that, and the brand new Polish M44 right next to it. After he sold me the Finn 91/30 a year before he knew he had a sucker.
Theodore Roosevelt
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I want a Polish M44.. I mentioned in another thread there was one in a local classified ad, sold within a day at $375.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Must have been one of the unissued ones, mine is still unfired, as new as the day I brought it home.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

I accidentally slept walked downstairs this morning and ordered a M44 from AIM. I actually think I bought it for my 5 year old son, but I think it gives me 13 years to work the bugs out of it. :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

You won't have that much time once he is around you when you fire it and then tell him it will be his. He will want to shoot that first thing tomorrow when he is old enough! Ha ha! Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Grab the kid a .22 while you are at it and get him started on that, five is a little bit of a late start, but not that bad :)
Theodore Roosevelt
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:My dealer took it out of the wrap and put it on display five minutes before he expected me to walk in the door, I bought that, and the brand new Polish M44 right next to it. After he sold me the Finn 91/30 a year before he knew he had a sucker.
Wow, definitely jealous of that!

The only thing I have to keep me sane is that I wasn't old enough back then to even consider finding or buying Milsurps. I was playing with my dad's old Mossberg 152k... which was close enough to military style for me! Besides, when you're a young kid even .22LR ammo is expensive!
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

True that, I bought my boxes of .22 one fifty round box at a time and made them last :)
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Right now as I write this most supplies of ammo especially 223 are being sold at record rates and are being made unreplaceable by the empty shelves at wholesalers. Most of them tell me at least a month or more before replacement ammo arrives if at all. Not a good situation but the Commisar and Cheif is grinning ear to ear. Bill :very mad:
MnMosin

Post by MnMosin »

dolk wrote:179.95. Must have C&R

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3M44
I just ordered one. They are down to 130. They had over three hundred left on Tuesday when I checked. I figured I better get one before they run out. :D
Mark in MN