Unexpected finds at the show & after

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Unexpected finds at the show & after

Post by Rongo »

Hey guys,

Hit some Gunshows today & what a dog they were. Overpriced on everything... save for one table. Guy had an 1896 Springfield Krag with no price. I asked what he was looking to get & he says to make an offer. I look it over & tell him I want to think it over while checking the rest of the show. I come back later & hang out talking to him for a bit until another guy picks it up. He asks how much? & the seller says $400 or BO. I wait until the guy puts it back down & I grab it again. I wait for around two minutes looking it over & then ask if $350 cash works. He countered with $360. SOLD!

Feeling lucky I leave the show & head to the local Fleet Farm to check on the M38 Mosins they've had forever. Last time I was there they were fetching $189 each. I get there & they have two left but the price was now $129! I check them out in the glass & see a 1... 9.... 3... ?? I ask to see it & sure enough; A 1939 Izhevsk M38 in a Laminated stock! So I went home with that too.

A very good day. Pics tomorrow. 8) 8)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Well tomorrow turned into a few weeks later. :oops: Busy around the house, work is hell & I come down with the flu to boot. Anyway... I dissembled them both, cleaned & inspected them & snapped some pics.

First up is the M38. 1939 Izhevsk, same date & markings on tang, matching bolt, buttplate & forced floorplate. Late or Post war laminated M44 stock that has what I can only discern as having some fit & finish issues. It's a bit beefier than my other ones. Counterbore, good rifling, passed no-go & good blue throughout. Smaller discreet CAI billboard & it came with sling, pouch, oiler & such.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next is the 1896 Krag.

Springfield Armory 1896 Krag, Early original sling, solid stock, good bore & smooth as butter action. Downside; Cut down barrel & stock, but looks to be an older post WWII conversion. Looks to have been tapped at some point on the barrel for ???? Upside; I paid $360 for it.

Odd place for tapping a scope???

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Re: Unexpected finds at the show & after

Post by desdem12 »

8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)