How to acquire your C&R FFL license

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

Was not sure where to put this so mods please move if need be!

This was copied from garandgear.com I take no credit what so ever, just trying to help others fill out their FFL.

What is a Curio and Relic Federal firearm license? This license is often called a C&R license or a FFL 03 license, and is issued by the BATFE. (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives). The BATFE describes the license as the following:

...the license will entitle you to acquire firearms, classified as curios or relics, in interstate or foreign commerce. You may dispose of curios and relics to any person, not otherwise prohibited by the Gun Control Act of 1968, residing within your state, and to any other Federal firearms licensee in any state. It must be emphasized that the collector's license being applied for pertains exclusively to firearms classified as curios and relics, and its purpose is to facilitate a personal collection. You may NOT engage in the business of buying and selling curios and relics under this license.

What does this license do for me?A C&R license has several benefits to the M1 enthusiast. Your C&R license meets several of the requirements that CMP has for the purchase of an M1. Many vendors offer discounts to customers with C&R licenses. Finally, your license will allow you to purchase M1 Garands and other C&R weapons from other licensee's without the requirement of going through a third party and paying transfer fee's.
Getting Started:

1. The BATFE now has a digital copy of the E-Form 7CR (5310.16). Start by downloading the application from the BATFE's website. This form is a PDF form that can be filled out electronically and then printed on white paper. The application can be obtained here: [Download Application]

2 Download the ATF F 5330.20 — Certification of Compliance http://www.atf.gov/f...f-f-5330-20.pdf form. In addition to 5310.16, applications must be accompanied by a signed Certification of Compliance (ATF F 5330.20) for each additional Responsible Person (RP) on the license, if applicable. If you're the only person on the license then you don't need to submit the 5330.20 form. This one page electronic form is used to determine the citizenship of all the parties on the license and their eligibility to file the Form 7CR above.

3. The BATFE charges a $30 fee which is due at the time the application is filed. This fee covers the cost of your license for three years. You can pay this fee either by check or credit card.

This article demonstrates a generic method of completing this application. Every person will have to answer the questions posed in the application according to their situation. Be sure to carefully read the questions on the application and answer them appropriately.

The Application:
1. Sections 1 through 6 of the application are straight forward. Fill out the name, address, telephone and county in which you are going to collect at. We are going to assume that you are filling this application out as an individual and not as a corporation or other business entity.

2. In section 7: Check the box marked An Individual.

3. Section 8 deals with paying the $30 dollar license and application fee. We recommend paying by credit card when possible. You'll be able to monitor your credit card statement to know when your application has been processed by the BATFE. Checks or money orders are also accepted.

Fill out section 8 and include your billing information. If paying with a credit card you must sign and date the printed copy of the form. Do not fill out the signature and date portion electronically.

4. Section 9 is where you list the individual or persons responsible for the license. You'll have to include all your home addresses for the past five years, place of birth and date as well as a current phone number. The second column asks for your position. As a non-business entity you should enter "Collector", followed by your social security number. If you need more space then is provided on the form, use a separate sheet with your name, address and social security number at the top of the page.

5. Section 10 is only filled out if you are a non-immigrant alien.

6. Section 11 is used by the ATF to determine if you previously had a firearms license, or worked for a company that had. For most people this section will be marked NO. If you mark yes for any section you must include a separate blank page with a description of why you marked yes to the question. The top of the page should have you name, address and social security number.

7. Section 12 and 13 deal with any criminal record, drug use, or restraining orders the applicant might have. If you mark yes to any of the questions you must include a separate blank page with a description of why you marked yes to the question. The top of the page should have you name, address and social security number.

8. The boxes in section 14 must be initialized. Do NOT check these boxes. Fill in the two sections for identifying your chief law enforcement officer. You city or county should have a web site with this information.

9. The final section of the application is section 15. This is the Certification part of the form. Sign the form with black ink. Under title enter "Collector" and date the form.

10. The second part of this application is called (Copy 2). This is an exact copy of the section you just filled out above minus the billing information. Complete this second part exactly as you did in the first part. This second part must be mailed to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer at the address you provided above. This is a requirement of the application. Your Chief Law Enforcement Officer is not required to take any action for your application to be processed. The CLEO only has to be notified that you are applying for the license.

Print out both copies of the form, and verify the application is completed properly. When mailing your application to your CLEO it's advisable to include a cover letter letting them know why you are sending them the application form. A sample letter can be Downloaded here .

Certification of Compliance:
The Certification of Compliance is a form the BATFE wants completed for the licensee and each additional responsible party listed on the license. This form should be included with your C&R application. It's a simple one page application. The Link to the form is included at the top of this article. Each responsible party fills out sections 1, 2, and 3 on the form. Complete the form by signing and dating section 7. Include the form/s with your application. You do not have to include this form with your CLEO package.

How long before I get my license?:
The average license takes between 60 and 90 days to arrive. When you get your license you will also receive a packet of information about your license including a list of firearms that are legal to collect. Each licensee is required to keep a bound book that lists your acquisitions and dispositions of any firearms you acquire. The BATFE may at any time request to inspect your book. Keep records of every transaction you do using your license!

The BATFE has added a section to their website with common questions regarding C&R licenses. You should visit their page and read through their FAQ.
Tempus Fugit
mosinjunkie

Re: How to acquire your C&R FFL license

Post by mosinjunkie »

Don't forget to send a copy to your local head LEO.
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

mosinjunkie wrote:Don't forget to send a copy to your local head LEO.
that would be step 10 :)
10. The second part of this application is called (Copy 2). This is an exact copy of the section you just filled out above minus the billing information. Complete this second part exactly as you did in the first part. This second part must be mailed to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer at the address you provided above. This is a requirement of the application. Your Chief Law Enforcement Officer is not required to take any action for your application to be processed. The CLEO only has to be notified that you are applying for the license.
Tempus Fugit
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

mosinjunkie wrote:Don't forget to send a copy to your local head LEO.
I took a copy to the Chief of Police's office and his secretary had never heard of a C&R. She asked me what she was supposed to do with it. I just told her keep it on file or something :roll: .
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

C&R Info right here on the forums.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... index.html
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

hoshow wrote:I took a copy to the Chief of Police's office and his secretary had never heard of a C&R. She asked me what she was supposed to do with it. I just told her keep it on file or something :roll: .
Depending on where you live, the "Chief Law Enforcement Officer" can be the town Chief of Police, the County Sheriff, the Commander of the County Police, the District Attorney, or even someone else.
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

mosinjunkie wrote:
hoshow wrote:I took a copy to the Chief of Police's office and his secretary had never heard of a C&R. She asked me what she was supposed to do with it. I just told her keep it on file or something :roll: .
Depending on where you live, the "Chief Law Enforcement Officer" can be the town Chief of Police, the County Sheriff, the Commander of the County Police, the District Attorney, or even someone else.
I asked the ATF lady I spoke with whether sheriff or city Police Cheif and she told me to take it to the Police Cheif. The county Sheriff does all the handgun permit stuff so I was thiking them. Based on the secretary's reaction I am either the first one in my city to apply for a C&R or the county Sheriff would have been the one to go to. It is only a courtesy anyway from what the ATF person I spoke with told me. :?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You give it to the one that is incharge of your area. If you live in the county and the sherrif answers 911 calls then give it to the sherrif. If you live in the city then you give it to the chief of police in that city. Has nothing to do with permits. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

I may be the only guy in my city thathas one then or maybe the secretary was a temp lol.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have done this a couple of times and it depends on the counter person. Some have no idea and some do. They are not really concerned about a collector here but they do file them i was told. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A class 3 is waayyyy different. They do care about those. The collectors of curios is of no concern to them unless they are robbed. It is whom ever is your local police head that you give it to. Sherrif if in county or cheif if in a town or city. Some i know even toss them and don't care, some look them over. I know of some policemen here that have their 03 license too. The wording is, Your cheif law inforcement officer at your address. I live in the city limits and the city police are whom comes if i call 911 so i give it to them. If the sherrif comes when you call then give it to them. There is no local permit issuance for a 03. They can file a complaint if they choose to about your license but can't deny it personaly that i know of. Now some states may have different laws. :D
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

How does a C&R work with a handgun? SOG is shipping the Nagant revolver I ordered to my house, but if I purchased a new handgun I need to bring the receipt to the Sheriff and have the gun added to my permit before being able to take the handgun home.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

No, It does not require an approval from the Chief Law Enforcement Officer. It is only approved by the BATFE. The form going to the CLO is for curtsy only. It is required to do, but they have no say in it at all (unless you are a criminal).

The CLO is the person that responds to your 911 call. The agency that has jurisdiction over you area. In a city that is the chief, in a town that can be a chief or a sheriff. In the county (rural) it is the sheriff. It has to go to the right person.

I was the first in my City to get one and the Chief called me to ask what it was all about. I told him and he said, OK, what should I do with it. I told he he didn't have to do anything with it. But I told him I'd guess he probably should file it some where. He laughed and said..."I have the perfect place!"......OK.

It is a curtsey forum. They have no function in the C&R being issued or not (unless they know something bad about you!).

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

hoshow wrote:How does a C&R work with a handgun? SOG is shipping the Nagant revolver I ordered to my house, but if I purchased a new handgun I need to bring the receipt to the Sheriff and have the gun added to my permit before being able to take the handgun home.
It is legal to send it to you directly if you have a C&R unless you are in a few states like California. It is illegal for them to send a handgun (C&R or not) to you even if you have a C&R license in California. But AIM won't do that anyway. They know better.

I don't understand you use of the word "permit". What "permit"? The 03FFl C&R is a license and the sheriff has nothing to do with that.

If your state requires different procedures, it is your responsibility to know your local gun laws (state, city or county). You still have to go by those laws and the C&R does not get you off from having to follow those laws.

Like I said (for example), California has passed a law that all handguns (including C&R) have to go through a 01FFL and be processed. You can not buy a C&R handgun from AIM directly if you live in California and just have a 03FFL. Your laws could be different. You need to know your local laws or you will get into hot water from your state and the Feds.

Side note" I can go to Nevada and by a C&R handgun with my 03FFL license and carry it home. I am then required to send in a paper and some money and they register it. Kind of stupid...right?

Dolk
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

dolk wrote:
hoshow wrote:How does a C&R work with a handgun? SOG is shipping the Nagant revolver I ordered to my house, but if I purchased a new handgun I need to bring the receipt to the Sheriff and have the gun added to my permit before being able to take the handgun home.
It is legal to send it to you directly if you have a C&R unless you are in a few states like California. It is illegal for them to send a handgun (C&R or not) to you even if you have a C&R license in California. But AIM won't do that anyway. They know better.

Dolk
Do I just take the Nagant revolver info in after I receive it? Do I still have it added to my CCW permit?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

hoshow wrote:
dolk wrote:

Dolk
Do I just take the Nagant revolver info in after I receive it? Do I still have it added to my CCW permit?
CCW permit is a different subject. Has nothing to do with your 03FFL. 03FFL gives you the right to buy a C&R handgun. A CCW permit gives you the right to carry it concealed. Two different things.

Read this,
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... index.html

You need to log the firearm into a "bound book" once you get it from AIM. You only have a certain amount of time to do that.

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You must maintain a proper log book as long as you have a 03FFL license. If you get rid of the license and turn it in, you can destroy the log book and you are not required to keep it.

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

a Nagant for concealed carry? I guess that is better than a stick! :bwink:

Dolk
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Just a note: If you ever call the local office of the BATFE, DO NOT, have whoever answers the call any questions. Ask to speak to the Agent in Charge. Write down his/her name and ask if you can get their resopnse in writing. The Agent in Charge most likely will not know any more than the person that answered the call but it helps when the guys in the suits knock on your door.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I log 'em in and then tear them down just to double check the tang dates.

Several rifles I purchased were sold thru the FFL process before I had my C&R. That was $20.00 out of my pocket only to discover they had antique receivers! Now the first thing I do is check the tang for the date.

My local PD didn't have a clue as to the C&R process as well.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"