Finally opened crate of 762x54 ammo

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jdolinski

Finally opened crate of 762x54 ammo

Post by jdolinski »

I hope it alright to post this here, it is for/about my MN rifles and accessories. I opened the crate for the ammo I ordered and get it into the safe and thought I would use the crate to store the accessories that come with the rifles. Thought I would share some pictures.
:pointdown:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Destiny
is not a matter of
Chance
It is a matter of
Choice
amm9130

Re: Finally opened crate of 762x54 ammo

Post by amm9130 »

:pointup: Awesome idea. I should be gettin a crate soon so I'll have to do something with it too
1942 M91/30 Izhevsk
1946 M44 Izhevsk
1933 M91/30 Tula Hex
1943 M1895 Revolver Izhevsk
G30 Gen4
Yugo M48 Mauser
Yugo M59/66
Yugo M57 Tokarev
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Great idea! I haven't bought a full crate yet so I haven't got one to use. Might be able to do that sometime. :thumbsup:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Nice! :thumbsup: I just picked up some hardware to fix up my crates. I'll probably tackle it in the next day or two.
I believe in the right to arm bears.
Augmister

Post by Augmister »

Brilliant! Outstanding use of the ammo crate! I have one unopened and now know exakerly what to do with it! Thanks for sharing and a prize for best new Mosin Nagant idea? Don Pardo, do we have a gift for this contestant???
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

What! You just Bubbad that crate! Those are aftermarket reproduction hinges and latch!!!! :angry4:

Just kidding, I couldn't help myself. :wink:
andrewd41

Post by andrewd41 »

The creates from 70's already have 2 hinges and 2 clasps. Use tung oil to keep the outside from drying out. They will last forever.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

andrewd41 wrote:The creates from 70's already have 2 hinges and 2 clasps. Use tung oil to keep the outside from drying out. They will last forever.
My 1976 Soviet light ball crates don't. They just have strips of bent metal acting as a clasps and hinges.
drabnor

Post by drabnor »

I use mine to collect/sort/store my spent brass cases until I get to re-loading...
a few old Russian bolt actions
notabiker

Post by notabiker »

yugo has some nice green crates their bulk ammo comes in. they have nice metal hinges and lock levers in the front they are more ruggedly built. my local ammo brothers sold me 3 today for 5 bucks each. they make nice gifts. i now have 2 for me. i am not sure what ammo comes in them it says 7.62 mm METAKA. they have a very light flimsy tin can inside them. nothing like a mosin spam can.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

THANKS for posting this idea. I love it and am also about to open a crate. Now I will be ever so careful doing so. GREAT IDEA! :thumbsup: It will go right nicely with my Mosin crate I picked up last week.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Most of the cases I have bought recently were ratty rotten wood not even suitable for firewood. I do have a couple of decent ones waiting for some inspiration to strike.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good idea, I use all sorts of ammo crates for storage, I paid to have them shipped to me, and I will get my moneys worth out of them :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Good idea. I plan to do the same thing.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

SA1911a1 wrote:Most of the cases I have bought recently were ratty rotten wood not even suitable for firewood. I do have a couple of decent ones waiting for some inspiration to strike.
Same here, the stuff from the 1940s has no hinges, it just has rusty nails that had it held shut :)
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
jdolinski

Post by jdolinski »

this one had screws holding the top on, also had a galvanized strap wrapped around it.
Destiny
is not a matter of
Chance
It is a matter of
Choice
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The best ones I have are the Czech, heavy wood crates with steel hinges and latch. I have hundreds of pounds of lead in one of them, it holds it with no problem.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

I love when you first open a can of ammo and smell that fresh Russian air from the 70's. MMMMMM Good.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You mean the poisen gas added to each ammo can to nutralize any insects that got in at the factory? :)
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

The sarin isn't as effective after 30 years. Probably won't kill you in 30 secs. :D
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F