Mosin For Deer Hunting ??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rideandslidejim

Mosin For Deer Hunting ??

Post by rideandslidejim »

Hello All

How many of you have used your Mosin for deer hunting ? I originally purchase my Mosin for an inexpensive high power rifle to have for when my son in law ask me to go deer hunting with him. Since then i have learned to appreciate the history of the weapon. Just looking for anyone with experience with this.

My 91/30 is so pretty i have orderd a Chinese #53 i my use instead.

Whats your thoughts ?????

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
clayshooter2

Re: Mosin For Deer Hunting ??

Post by clayshooter2 »

Sorry, I just use my Mosins to hunt that elusive critter called the bullseye. :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I bet there is about 20 or more that do. I know a couple that do. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
husker51

Post by husker51 »

I planned on using a 91/30 for deer this year, but one thing and then another and..., oh well, it didn't happen. But I think it is just fine for deer, depending on your own skill with an open sight. I would only try up to 100 yards I think, but i like to be accurate. I'm just not any better than that. Then again, you can mount a scope on it. There are good temporary mounts I understand. Just don't do any permanent modification. :D
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The shorter carbines are easier to deal with if hunting in close cover, I never used a Mosin to hunt, others here do, if I were allowed to use a rifle for hunting around here I would use my Winchester 94 .30-30 just like in the old days.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

With the right ammo, why not? The o/a length would be a PITA, in the woods, but as far as the 7.62 round, its the Russian 30.06 :chuckles: , and the Lord knows a ton of game has fallen to those. My BIL used an M28 on Black Bear hunts. I know more than a few :chuckles: M39's that would make dandy game getter's....bit heavy to lug around :brolleyes: , but accurate they sure as hell are.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Sellier & Bellot make a nice soft point 7.62x54R that would be ideal for deer hunting.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

I have taken a small buck with my 91/30. 203 grain Silver bear soft points put deer down with authority. :twisted:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I spotted three of the fat little bastards crossing the road as I glanced in the rear view mirror coming home earlier. Had I been slower they would have been in front of the car and I would have a freezer full of meat and a wrecked car.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Why not, if you are high on a stand? I'm not sure if to use FMJs or some SPs special bought for that reason. An FMJ is OK depending where you hit, a SP special bought should be a direct stop.....

But all this will not matter, if the Zombies wake up, 22/12 hits us or the Iceage starts in January 2013 (or whenever), it is too f.....g warm here right now.....
Then everybody better have some ammo.....

Did I write that? I am not a dooms-day believer, or am I :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
I better let go, this gets too GOV related, sorry. At least the Zombies are here......??

:angry4:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

desertgunner wrote:Why not, if you are high on a stand? I'm not sure if to use FMJs or some SPs special bought for that reason. An FMJ is OK depending where you hit, a SP special bought should be a direct stop.....

But all this will not matter, if the Zombies wake up, 22/12 hits us or the Iceage starts in January 2013 (or whenever), it is too f.....g warm here right now.....
Then everybody better have some ammo.....

Did I write that? I am not a dooms-day believer, or am I :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
I better let go, this gets too GOV related, sorry. At least the Zombies are here......??

:angry4:
Don't want to get caught hunting with FMJ in most places. That's a good way to lose your gun...and your truck...and your hunting privileges.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

TNX, Websterz, I know, here in CA they put you away #, if proven. Apart from the other s....; but this discussion is partly theoretical, as the Iceage! LOL
I would not use a Mosin, if not a carbine. Myself, my Win94 30/30 has never seen a FMJ bullet, neither has my Savage.
And for needy times, there are some PRVI and S&B boxes, if the 30/30 runs out, gotta cover your assets....
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I've taken deer with mosins, and have been hunting with my 1917 Balkan Sestroryetsk with 203 gr. Silver Bear ammunition this year for the most part. I usually sit in a favorite spot withoutvwalking too much, so the length of the rifle isn't an issue. I went on a different hunt yesterday where there was a lot off walking in thickets, so I took my Arisaka carbine. I also used to use various 91/30 loads with an odd load. All I remember is that it was softpoint and was in a drab green box with a moose and mostly Russian writing on it. Lol. Grouped great, and one shot did the job well.

My advice would be to simply know where your point of aim should be with your mosin and ammunition. Know your limitations as far as range and have fun with it. By limitations I mean don't be tempted to try out the farthest sight settings. :D

EDIT: FMJ is illegal for hunting here in PA, and with the affordability of decent hunting loads I wouldnt use them anyways.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

I hunt with one of my 91/30's with Sellier & Bellot SP rounds. I like to hunt on the ground as opposed to a stand. Many folks consider long guns in the woods a pain in the ass, but I don't mind it, although a carbine would be easier to handle. I even have one of the old soviet tent/capes (got it on eBay international) that I use with it sometimes. There are a lot of mossy earth mounds around the clearings where I hunt which are perfect for a prone setup.
I believe in the right to arm bears.
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Depending on the shape the #53 carbine is, and how it shoots,i may camo or matte black the stock and (heaven forbid} scope it and see how it does . Heck! if it comes in in good condition i may have to buy another one !!!!!!! and keep looking for a #44 Carbine. And then------ ( Oh shit the addition is taking hold )

I have already bought a box of Brown Bear soft point just for hunting.

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Please remember that this is a preservation forum and any talk of permanent modifications to the rifles and stocks is against the rules.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No permenant mods please Jim, camo the stock? Ivan didn't need to do that and he was hunting people who knew what a rifle looked like, not dumb animals.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

He did sometimes wrap burlap around the rifle and tie it on with string when he was being real sneaky.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:He did sometimes wrap burlap around the rifle and tie it on with string when he was being real sneaky.
Do this! My local walmart and sporting goods stores have rolls of camo burlap material for hunting blinds for around $15-20. My plan is to get a roll. Cut it to the size I need and wrap the forend of the rifle. It shout hide it a little better and also offer some protection to the stock. Then use some twine or bulap fibers to tie it snug. :thumbsup: Then you look more authentic like when Ivan used these rifles.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

ponycarman wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:He did sometimes wrap burlap around the rifle and tie it on with string when he was being real sneaky.
Do this! My local walmart and sporting goods stores have rolls of camo burlap material for hunting blinds for around $15-20. My plan is to get a roll. Cut it to the size I need and wrap the forend of the rifle. It shout hide it a little better and also offer some protection to the stock. Then use some twine or bulap fibers to tie it snug. :thumbsup: Then you look more authentic like when Ivan used these rifles.
The camo burlap at Walmart smells VERY strongly of latex paint. Not sure how the deer will like the smell.