Basic 8 is complete

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Silk#2

Basic 8 is complete

Post by Silk#2 »

I finally decided to drive 2 1/2 hours north top save on FFL trans and shipping. I think it paid off. I went to J&G to get the last 2 MN I need to complete my basic 8 collection<well its what I call it. I walked in cursing myself for forgetting my reading glasses and flasklight on the counter. Anyway i asked for the last 2 I neeed. A Izy reg hex and a Tula reg rnd > he comes back with the Izy and pulls it out and I see its a prewar stock and say ok <remember cant see squat> looks in great shape from what I could see..had lots of markings but so I was happy. He then tells me the only Tula rnd he has is MO and sells for $129 not the $99 + $10 for hand pic<look for Tula> I think to myself thats a sales ploy <website says they have 99+ in stock,odds those are all Izy??? lol. But what the hey I say I would love a MO to be part of the collection and to me $130 isnt asking for blood so took it and also a early x-mas present for myself...a Nagant Revolver and 300 rnds of MN ammo on org stripper clips...here are the resutls and some teaser pics of todays buy. Ty for reading this drawn out story lol!! :D

Izy Lam hex 32 Tula Lam hex 30 x dragoon
Izy Lam rnd 42 Tula Lam rnd 37
Izy Reg hex 28 x dragoon Tula Reg hex 34
Izy Reg rnd 39 Tula Reg rnd MO 40/49
The 8
catcracker

Re: Basic 8 is complete

Post by catcracker »

Congrats on completing your roster.
I really like the pistol. Nice clean Tula markings, without the ugly import mark over the top of it. :D
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

Nice!! I just got my first 2 Nagant pistols last month... hope to shoot them finally this afternoon.
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Very nice finds. Now you need to show us a picture of the family all together :)
dou44

Post by dou44 »

nice guns and you even got a :thumbsup: red letter rifle.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Silk , top buy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You filled your gaps and got some nice rifles, too, no sweat, just the drive. :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:

J&G is 4 1/2 hours from here, cannot go now, maybe in Jan when on vacation. They are on the list!

That Tula is red-marked just like the Ishevsk 32 Hex I just got with excellent rifling, check on it. We another red-marked rifle +MO which is an excellent shooter with very good rifling, maybe we can find some more similar markings. I'll keep that in mind, when I take my photos of "The fat red Lady", :biggrin: :biggrin: There were some interesting markings on the receiver.
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice family of 8. Now for the basic family of M44 Izhevsk and Tulas and the basic family of M38's.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Those are great rifles! I would not have balked at paying the $130.00 for the MO if I didn't have one. You got to fill two slots with one gun. Nice looking Nagant too!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

The sun just decided to go to my toy den, the camera was there and here is a sneak preview for the similarity of red markings:
FatRedLady1R.jpg
FatRedLady2R.jpg
There just has to be something to it. When I have more time, I will shoot any and all markings on the one's we have and make a thread out of it. There are more like that out there.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

On picture 2, right above the crest, is a stamp looking like a 0 with two strokes in it. Does your rifle have that, too?

What itches me here is not only the similarity, but that it was done on Tula and Ishevsk rifles, probably in the refurb process. Have you had the rifle out of the furniture, yet? Or, when you do so, check the whole barrel for irregularities and the wood, too.
That might be interesting, as well as the marks. My upper hand guard is too long and the lower wood has a repair splice at the front.
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

Thanks guys, I am still in shock and giddy ..had a bad couple days this has made up for it. Any one know about the triangle with 25 in it above the Tula mark? I need to take a class on photography :vsad:
The 8
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Excellant :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: A great triple, would make my week and month. The /25\ is found on the red letter mosins. So not only did you get a nice mo you also got a red letter to boot. The suicide mosin :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

desertgunner wrote:On picture 2, right above the crest, is a stamp looking like a 0 with two strokes in it. Does your rifle have that, too?

What itches me here is not only the similarity, but that it was done on Tula and Ishevsk rifles, probably in the refurb process. Have you had the rifle out of the furniture, yet? Or, when you do so, check the whole barrel for irregularities and the wood, too.
That might be interesting, as well as the marks. My upper hand guard is too long and the lower wood has a repair splice at the front.

I have not taken her out of the furniture yet may be a few days. It does have an O with what looks to me like an upside down u. Will try and get better pics some how some way lol. Its loaded with marks. :vconfused:
The 8
Siam

Post by Siam »

Nice purchase, must be nice to live so close to J&G. My basic eight was 1 ea 1920's x dragoon, 1 ea 1930's hex, 1 ea 1930's round and 1 ea 1940' round. Also added a 1940's low wall round. I know, that makes nine but I sometimes lose count. Then there are the basic 8 carbines, 1ea, M38/ M1891/59, Izhevsk M44, Chinese T53, Hungarian M44, Romanian M44 and Polish M44. Still need a Tula M44 and a Tula M38 to make my carbine basic 8. Oops 9, lost count again. We all need to make up as many basic 8 lists as we can :D
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

Siam wrote:Nice purchase, must be nice to live so close to J&G. My basic eight was 1 ea 1920's x dragoon, 1 ea 1930's hex, 1 ea 1930's round and 1 ea 1940' round. Also added a 1940's low wall round. I know, that makes nine but I sometimes lose count. Then there are the basic 8 carbines, 1ea, M38/ M1891/59, Izhevsk M44, Chinese T53, Hungarian M44, Romanian M44 and Polish M44. Still need a Tula M44 and a Tula M38 to make my carbine basic 8. Oops 9, lost count again. We all need to make up as many basic 8 lists as we can :D

Only other type I have is a M27 ...dont see that on your list......10??? :bwink:
The 8
evildog

Post by evildog »

Super nice find!!! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

Wow nice. why only 8? I would think you would need at least 12 or 13 for a squad. :chuckles:
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953