How many times do you shoot a year?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
izhevsk

How many times do you shoot a year?

Post by izhevsk »

Just curious how many times you shoot a year and how many rounds you normally fire each time you go shooting?
Mike

Re: How many times do you shoot a year?

Post by Mike »

izhevsk wrote:Just curious how many times you shoot a year and how many rounds you normally fire each time you go shooting?
I shoot once a week at least, target, skeet or sporting clays, 75-100 rounds a time.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

100-200 or more times, I never keep track, I shoot whenever I feel like it. I mostly shoot .22 now as I am hording the more expensive .30 ammo, but I shoot several thousand .22 at the least. At the height of cheap milsurp ammo in 2005 I was shooting 100-140 rounds a day five-six days a week three seasons a year, and the same amount when I could during the cold dark months. I have a 55 gallon drum full of fired brass berdan primed stuff still set aside as scrap, and 1000's of once fired boxer ones set aside to reload.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

More lately, I can go months without shooting, and at one point probably skipped almost a year, this as a result of lifes hectic pace though lately I have had an opportunity to hit the range a couple times a month. :popgun:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:More lately, I can go months without shooting, and at one point probably skipped almost a year, this as a result of lifes hectic pace though lately I have had an opportunity to hit the range a couple times a month. :popgun:
I usually go at least twice a month; some months more. I will take a couple of milsurp rifles and shoot 40 rounds of 7.62x54r, .303, 30-06, or M-1 Carbine. When I take my AK or SKS, I take at least 60 rounds of 7.62x39. On days I shoot both rifle and pistol, I will typically sneak over to the pistol range after rifle shooting and put 50 rounds through a handgun of my choice. On days when I go out to shoot skeet only, I will take my shotgun with three boxes of shells. Three rounds is about the max I will shoot in any shotgun session.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am good for a few hundred rounds out of my cap 'n' ball revolvers also, I slowed up a bit after caps started getting more expensive, and took up the slack with my flinter pistols. I cast my own musket balls and I can make a pound of powder last longer by cutting back on the main charge while target shooting.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

So far this year.....six

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I don't have a set number of times. I just go when I feel like it. And when I have the time, money, and ammo haha.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Are we counting times when I get pissed and go out back to shoot the trash burning drum? That would double the shooting numbers :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Beardedbullitz

Post by Beardedbullitz »

I go whenever I get the chance, until deer bow season hits, then its about getting meat for my freezer. otherwise if I had to put a number on it I'd say at least once a week till the before mentioned season. :D
-Beardedbullitz-
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I average at least six times a year. Fishing takes more of my time than anything on the weekends so I probably fish twenty plus times a year.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Once or twice a week, but it helps not to have to drive anywhere to shoot.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:100-200 or more times, I never keep track, I shoot whenever I feel like it. I mostly shoot .22 now as I am hording the more expensive .30 ammo, but I shoot several thousand .22 at the least. At the height of cheap milsurp ammo in 2005 I was shooting 100-140 rounds a day five-six days a week three seasons a year, and the same amount when I could during the cold dark months. I have a 55 gallon drum full of fired brass berdan primed stuff still set aside as scrap, and 1000's of once fired boxer ones set aside to reload.
Just wondering which .22 or .22s do you shoot most often?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i try to go at least once anonth but sometime i do not get to.. if i take a mn or k98 about 20-30 rounds through each. pistols about a box .ar or ak at least 100 rounds. do not take them as muck because of the prices for the ammo.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SA1911a1 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:100-200 or more times, I never keep track, I shoot whenever I feel like it. I mostly shoot .22 now as I am hording the more expensive .30 ammo, but I shoot several thousand .22 at the least. At the height of cheap milsurp ammo in 2005 I was shooting 100-140 rounds a day five-six days a week three seasons a year, and the same amount when I could during the cold dark months. I have a 55 gallon drum full of fired brass berdan primed stuff still set aside as scrap, and 1000's of once fired boxer ones set aside to reload.
Just wondering which .22 or .22s do you shoot most often?
My Marlin 60 of course, and of late my Stevens Model 55, and Remington 552. Several others rotate through on a regular basis.
Theodore Roosevelt
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

I try to go every other week. But with the way work has been I have missed a few. Still I'll get at least 20 trips in this year. As for rounds I try and do 50 in each gun if I can hand that. Now when I take the DE I can't do 50 rounds of 50AE or my hands will be sore. But on average I do 50 in the hand guns and at least 20 in each rifle I take.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I try for twice a month unless it's over 80 degrees or there is snow on the ground. 100+ rounds of MN, Mauser and Enfield ammo per trip. Various .22's also...1969 Romanian trainer is my favorite.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Since I went through the ice that time winter shooting is now done from the cab of my truck pulled up on the range with the heater on full :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Every Wednesday evening with either .22rf or .310 cadet or .32/20 all rifles, 20-50 rounds a time.
Twice a month between 100-900yds with the 7.62x54r .303 7.92 7.62x51 .30-06 8x57 7.5x55 .308 .223 on a rota list so each one gets used at least 4 times a year, anywhere from 200-300 rounds a shoot.
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

Depends on the weather. I live in the mountains and have two shooting ranges right off my deck. I can walk out the door and shoot .22 and 9mm. . As a deference to some of my distant neighbors, I refrain from shooting the big stuff as I overlook a valley and the sound of a Mosin or some of the other goodies I have can be heard for miles down the valley. I am also involved with the Sheriff's Dept and get to use their range and the is a public range way, way back in the woods.
I sometime, in the summer, will shoot almost every day from my deck.