Picked up my Saiga yesterday!!!

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ponycarman

Picked up my Saiga yesterday!!!

Post by ponycarman »

I finally got to release my saiga from layaway prison :). Picked her up yesterday. Its an unconverted saiga rifle in 7.62x39. The plan is to convert it to an ak47 style rifle. I'm not sure yet how deep of a conversion Im going to do yet. It might be a little while though haha.

Here she is

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
mogunner

Re: Picked up my Saiga yesterday!!!

Post by mogunner »

Go out and run a couple hundred rounds through it before you convert it, that will give you something to judge against on how much better it is afterwards! If you decide to convert it, I've got a 5% discount code for Carolina Shooter's Supply on their stuff, I bought mine from there and everything was perfect and fast shipping too.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Oh I'm definately going to convert it haha. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the parts from carolina shooters supply though. Even with a 5% discount that wouldn't cover the taxes because I'm in SC. I'm probably going to piece it together however I want. I'm hoping to end up with something similar to the arsenal rifles. I know it won't be exact but close. I've been thinking about some possible improvements over some of the original style russian stuff but I'm not sure yet. I know I want to use some of that beautiful reproduction "plum" furnature from Kvar :D
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Pop in over at the Saiga12 forums, the boys can tell you what NOT to buy, if it's junk they know all about it and have no problem steering you away from it.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Sweet!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks guys! I've already kept up with saiga 12 forums. I've been through their long picture forum narrowing down what I wanted for the rifle. :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What is wrong with it as it is?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I am so happy for you Pony! You can tell I'm a older guy. I like it bone dry stock, but I hope you enjoy fixing it up. This is a good platform to sew your wild oats while preserving your milsurps. 8-)8-)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks bunkysdad! Jyd the rifle was originally designed to be how I'm going to convert it. It has extra trigger components that shouldn't be there and some other stuff. It's current configuration was only to get it into the country legally. The receiver even already has the holes cut in the receiver for the pistol grip and regular ak style trigger. I like working on stuff and building thinks so I think I'm going to have fun with this. Mil surp firearms are off limits to me for perminant mods but anything else I don't have a problem improving somewhat. But so far any modification I've done to any firearm I own has either been a repair or non perminant.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

The "sporter" version has a transfer bar between the trigger and disconnector that gives it a VERY pronounced two-stage trigger pull. The first time I fired mine I actually thought I had a misfire, the transfer bar clicks as it starts to move the disconnector, loud enough my deaf old ears could hear it. While it would have been easy enough to get used to I prefer my AK's to look like AK's, and I wanted to be able to use the $15 steel hi-capacity AK mags instead of the $30 polymer ones for the Saiga. An adjustable stock is always a plus for my long arms too.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Yep my thoughts exactly mogunner. I don't think I'm going with an adjustable stock. But I would like it to look like an ak. The pistol grip does alot for the handling of the rifle too. There are many reasons to convert it :)

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I just like the adjustable length stock as I'm a hair over 6'4" and have yet to find a factory stock with the right length for me. All my rifles have recoil pads on then that add a couple of inches length for me, works fine and I save my shoulder! The Saiga only has the thinner pad on it though, the x39 recoil in that platform doesn't bother me.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I'm about 6' 2" so I don't foresee a problem with a fixed stock. We will see though. Do you have any pics of you rifle? I know you have posted them around but I can't remember where. How accurate is you rifle?

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

It's more accurate when somebody else is shooting it, sad to say. My buddy Paul was keeping them all within a 3" circle at 100 yards shooting Tulammo. I'll post a pic when I get on the "big boy computer", I'm sure it can be done on this iPhone but it'd take someone that knows more about it than me!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Koada

Post by Koada »

Very nice looking...Good for you!!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks fella's!!

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Ok, here is my zombie go-to rifle... you know what it looked like before, here it is as it sits now, still have to thread the muzzle and install the flash hider.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Theodore Roosevelt