the things you read

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
dou44

the things you read

Post by dou44 »

i was looking at a Izhevsk on a auction and the dealer was telling about how it was made in france because it had the french eagle on the reciever. :chuckles:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: the things you read

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh boy.... :roll:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sounds good to me. :thumbsup: :beek: :beek:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Those breadbaking French :lol:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Never ceases to amaze me. I saw a NEW m91 once that had a lot of the US inspectors' eagle and number stamps on the shank. The dealer was saying they were Nazi stamps and wanted double price. I didn't know much then but knew it was baloney. Now though if I saw the rifle for that same asking price I would jump on it. That was back in '96 or so I'm guessing.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

made in france? hey, at least you would know it wouldn't have been used. Lol. something to do with the french not fighting...
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I had a gun dealer at a local gunshow try to tell me that all the SKS rifles were made in China. I told him he was feeding me BS.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

dou44 wrote:i was looking at a Izhevsk on a auction and the dealer was telling about how it was made in france because it had the french eagle on the reciever. :chuckles:
Yep that sounds about right. Amazing how many people can't seem to find google. :roll:
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:big shock: There is a dealer who offers a M39 for sale.......he notes that the rifle is stamped 3600 on the receiver "which is the unit number it was assigned to"........ah ya........ :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Some of these people sell used cars for a living.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Nah really? Some of your old salesmen? :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: Hope you had your coffee! Ulp! Bill :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's usually me who sells the cars when we get something worth selling. As they are sold as fixer uppers ( engines, trans, or some other thing is bad) I don't have to fabricate much.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Listening to dealers at gunshows is always humorous. Sometimes a dealer's lack of knowledge works in your favor though. I stopped into a gun shop that had never had a Mosin in it before, and there were two there, both labeled as M44's. (Both in ATI stocks also.) Thankfully from the knowledge learned from this forum, (And the fact I can read Russian a bit) I realized the longer of the two was a 1915 Sestroryetsk, with both Imperial eagles still on it, and no 'SA' markings. They wanted $140 for it. I popped on that! The other one was a 1944 Izhevsk M44, also priced at $140. That one sat around there for a while. :roll: I put a proper M91 stock on the Sestroryetsk when I found one. :thumbsup:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I can't tell you how many times I've seen 'Russian mousers' for sale. Not mausers, mousers like as in a cat. And they were mosins anyways.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Wriz

Post by Wriz »

after being a part of this site and learning all that I can I have myself not really believing much of what I read from some gun sellers of Mosins. I find it funny sometimes to read what private sellers say about them and try to put a high price tag on them.
1927 Mosin-Nagant ex-Dragoon
Marlin 25N
Ruger 10 .22
Mossberg 500

U.S. Amry Ranger 3rd battalion <---My Bro R.P.W.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

racerguy00 wrote:I can't tell you how many times I've seen 'Russian mousers' for sale. Not mausers, mousers like as in a cat. And they were mosins anyways.
Well, if you use a Mosin for a mouser, you won't have much mouse to clean up.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

But you will have some rather large holes in the floors, walls, and whoever is on the other side of the wall.
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

:pointup: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What is that, a reenactment of the French against the Mexicans during the 2nd Empire?
Theodore Roosevelt