Picked up an M59 Yugo this weekend *now with pics!*

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
optikalillushun

Picked up an M59 Yugo this weekend *now with pics!*

Post by optikalillushun »

Was lookin at a local gun show for a WASR-10/63 but they are out of my price range ATM so i decided to get my second choice, an SKS. Its a Yugo M59 still packed in cosmoline imported by CIA. Obviously i couldnt see down the barrel, inside the reciver, gas tube or anything but it looked really good shape from the funiture and what i could see. I have the parts bathing in mineral spirits to get the cosmoline put off all the nooks n crannies.

Only mark i found was a C-xxxxx on the reciever (xxxx would be the serial but i forget it lol). Also the bolt parts have 00.000.001 or something marked on it. How can i tell if this is numbers matching? And is the Yugo M59 sort of a rare bird? Seems the market is flooded with M59/66s, and Noricos (both of which i passed on, since i do remember reading the M59s were a little harder to come by).

I passed on a nice Albanian SKS, but the price was insane. Also, my M59 only came with the stock cleaning kit, rod and bayonet...what would be the proper sling, oil can and ammo pouches for it? Id like to keep it era correct.

Thanks guys!
Last edited by optikalillushun on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
martin08

Re: Picked up an M59 Yugo this weekend

Post by martin08 »

Good acquisition. The M59's are not plentiful.

Nearly all, if not all, of the M59's have seen some degree of refurbishment. These were also assembled with "lot number" parts, instead of complete matching part numbers that are found on other models. For the M59 to match, the receiver, bolt, bolt carrier and stock should be numbered the same. The receiver cover, mag cover, and trigger group will have the lot numbers.

The M59 was originally equipped with a leather sling, which is near impossible to locate. But keep plugging away, and you may come up with all the correct accessories.

Once she is cleaned, you will want to keep her clean. These don't have chrome lined bores, so a good scrub is recommended each time it is fired.

Congrats!
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Simo

Post by Simo »

The big eared moose is correct, they are not plentiful and nice ones are hard to come by.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

Nice! congrats, make sure to post pics when you're done cleaning it :post_r:
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
optikalillushun

Good to hear, i guess i did good then. I seen several Norico's but IMHO they dont have the same coolness as the Yugo/Alb/Russians. Got all the metal parts cleaned up, gunna let the stock sit in the sun another day.
Simo

Post by Simo »

optikalillushun wrote:Good to hear, i guess i did good then. I seen several Norico's but IMHO they dont have the same coolness as the Yugo/Alb/Russians. Got all the metal parts cleaned up, gunna let the stock sit in the sun another day.
the romies are nice also :thumbsup:
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Sounds like a nice Yugo. I would like to see some pictures for sure.
optikalillushun

Re: Picked up an M59 Yugo this weekend *now with pics!*

There ya have it, one cleaned up Yugo M59. Took longer than i anticipated to clean, but worth it. I have 10 strippers loaded n ready for some play time Saturday, weather permitting.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These things are always a grease bucket, looks great :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Very good condition. Many are quite beat up.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, some of the ones I have seen looked like they got run over by a tank.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yea, some of the ones I have seen looked like they got run over by a tank.
they probably have but got the light end of it :lol: UN / NATO loves to disarm people and the destroy their means of survival in front of them and running guns over with tanks is one method they used.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice Yugo M59! Really good grain to the wood, also. I did a double take seeing your bench-it looks kinda like Rongo's! :vcool: :vcool:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice Yugo M59! Really good grain to the wood, also. I did a double take seeing your bench-it looks kinda like Rongo's! :vcool: :vcool:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Looks a bit like mine also, but I had to clear off all the stuff after the roof sprung a leak in the shed.
Theodore Roosevelt
optikalillushun

Heh, is that a good thing or bad thing? In between workin on the 66 Fairlane GT i play with my guns down our garage so i have all kind of stuff layin around :lol:

OIh and thanks, i really like the wood grain. Overall the furniture is in great shape. Bore and gas sytem look great after 3 days of cleaning.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I guess I had to get it all cleaned up sooner or later, later would have worked for me, I need to get up there with another bucket of tar.
Theodore Roosevelt
flop-shank

Post by flop-shank »

A few thoughts....

I own two M59s. I bought one as a collector's piece and liked it so much it became one of my main user rifles. Therefore, I bought a second one to put away. I really should put the effort into keeping them both as nice as possible. My hunch is that M59s will outrun the vast majority of Soviet refurbs in value eventually.

FWIW, if you haven't studied the '90s Balkans war, it really is quite fascinating although somewhat complex.

Here's a link to the correct accesories/sling ect. for your rifle. Liberty Tree may have them also, but when I bought Numrich was the better deal.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Det ... ng&catid=0

I hope you like your M59 as much as I like mine!