new mosin owner need a lil info

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zombieheadshot

new mosin owner need a lil info

Post by zombieheadshot »

hey just had a ?'s about accuracy
today i shot my mosin i could only shoot about 25 yards thats all the space i really had and i had a really nice grouping
but what distance do i really need to be to know if it really is accurate
clayshooter2

Re: new mosin owner need a lil info

Post by clayshooter2 »

Welcome to the forum. The original Soviet sighting was done at 300 meters. Most of us just shoot at 100 yards though.
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

25 yards is fine to start with for a rifle that you are unfamiliar with, now you know where the bullets are hitting. Now take it back to 50 yards and check the groups...then take it back to 100 yards and check the groups. This way you can track the point of impact vs point of aim.

I stop at 100 yards...I can't see the friggin target much farther than that. :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum, if you keep it on the paper at 100 yards then you are doing fine :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I like to shoot at 100 yds or at least close to it. If i go to the local range though they have gongs out to 450 yds and those are fun. :D
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
flop-shank

Post by flop-shank »

Due to lack of a better venue, my friends and I usually shoot ours at ~20-25 yds. We like to shoot at cheezy low "brass" (actually aluminum; read as no good for reloading) used shotgun shells like Winchester makes. I have a very battle weary '38 Tula 91/30 that doesn't seem to throw quite as tight of groups as it should, but seriously it could be me, or loose bayonet fit and attendant vibrational inconsistencies. Sometimes I fire a round that I think ought to hit, but doesn't. I love that tired old rifle whoever is at fault. :D Anyway, if a rifle and/or you don't have the goods. You'll see it at 25 yds with a small enough target.
Starshina

Post by Starshina »

Gentlemen,
Do yourself a favor. Check with your State's Rifle & Pistol Association about highpower rifle clinic or SAFS (Small Arms Firing School). It is usually offered in the spring. 1 to 2 day course, class lecture and life fire. Best thing you can do for your shooting. You will be coached by the top marksmen in your state.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:D Welcome to the forum! I would say 100 yds is good enough. But I like to push the test out to 200 yds occasionally. Or farther just goofing around. I have shot 500 yds with my 37' 91/30. It was pretty accurate for "ball park" shooting. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
neorebel

Post by neorebel »

I get about 1" groups out of my M39 and PU sniper with mil surp ammo and about 1 1/4" out of my counter bored 91/30 at 100 yards. The key is good breathing and follow through on the trigger. Smooth trigger pull and take it all the way back until it stops.

These guns are totally accurate and fun to shoot!
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

With my M/N I shoot from within the barn and usually hit the wall I'm aiming at. Seriously, as stated start at 25, work your way out to 100 and have fun.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Starshina wrote:Gentlemen,
Do yourself a favor. Check with your State's Rifle & Pistol Association about highpower rifle clinic or SAFS (Small Arms Firing School). It is usually offered in the spring. 1 to 2 day course, class lecture and life fire. Best thing you can do for your shooting. You will be coached by the top marksmen in your state.
A very good suggestion if it's available close to you, if you are young enough you can also join the Marines and get the marksmanship training from professionals while getting paid to do it. For some of us no amount of training will help, a man gets old and things go to hell :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

That kind of school or the friendship of a good NRA licensed instructor is a great help for any old or new shooter! Welcome on board and enjoy your shooting however you do it. I like 100 yards but like many others the eyes are getting worse and worse so the results show that. One thing a good session with a trained shooter will show you is your bad habits which will show up consistantly over the years in your results. When I was young many of my cohorts were trained snipers from military days. The time with them showed I had a tendency to jerk the trigger and over 40 years later I still have to fight doing that today! Now with lesser success in accuracy it really shows up in my results. I do the best that I can which ain't that good any more but I still enjoy it and that is what counts I guess. Bill :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Remember that new Mummy movie a few years back were the resurrecting mummy could just zap a guy and all of a sudden he has the guys eyes installed in his head? I need an ability like that, then find some kid with good vision :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Starshina

Post by Starshina »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: A very good suggestion if it's available close to you, if you are young enough you can also join the Marines and get the marksmanship training from professionals while getting paid to do it. For some of us no amount of training will help, a man gets old and things go to hell :lol:
Boot Camp is not the best place to learn marksmanship. Most of the top military competitive shooters were civilian marksman from state's junior programs before they joined the military. People can shoot well in position shooting in to their 70's. Benchrest shooters shoot in to their 80's. Properly corrected vision is the key (properly for shooting). Not your reading glasses and not your distance glasses. One needs to find an optometrist who understand and specializes in shooters needs.