Introduce myself

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
dashan

Introduce myself

Post by dashan »

Hi,
This is my first post and I have a question.
I recently acquired an Hex Ishy M91/30 for $99, and took the rifle to the range for about 5-6 times. This is my first rifle. I could place most of my shots within the ring 7 of the target paper.
I understand that with a scope, M91/30 could shoot 1-2 MOA. My question is: Without any scope help (iron sight only), how good can an M91/30 shoot at 100 yards in a sharpshooter's hand?

Thanks

Da
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Introduce myself

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Problem is the 91/30 you have is not a sharpshooters rifle, it is a 70 year old refurbished WW2 battle rifle with years of wear on it's bore, 3-6 MOA is standard with these. Occasionally one will shoot slightly better, or worse, luck of the draw, a scope is not a magic fix of any sort. How good a rifle shoots depends on the wear on the rifle and the skill level of the shooter. I have 91/30 refurbs that I shot 2 MOA with using commie surplus ammo at 100 yards. These rifles had very good, almost unused looking bores, headspace within spec, and I have a lifetime of experience shooting .30 military bolt rifles. These days the vision is not what it used to be, but I can still manage to keep the rounds under 4 MOA using these select rifles, but I built a large collection of Mosins, I selected these rifles as my shooters out of a collection of more than 50 91/30's that I own and had evaluated on the range. Welcome to the forum, if the rounds are on the paper than you are doing fine, the Soviets built these to shoot minute of man.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:alien: :Welcome Home: :welcome: :welcome2:

Welcome to the forum and I agree with what JYD said totally.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Welcome aboard. I used a piece of shrink tubing on the front sight post to help. All the mosin nagants i use shoot high. Try different ammo. :D
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Welcome to the forum!

In regards to the scope, it only allows the shooter to see the target, it doesnt make the rifle any more accurate. You and the rifle still have a lot of variables to work out together in order to get really good accuracy.

In regards to the accuracy potential of a 91/30 at 100 yards...I took my 91/30 to the range one day. Now I am not the best shooter but I could get 4 MOA after a bit with a lot of concentration with iron sights. My friend took a turn with the rifle, he is a much better shooter than I, and he literally put three out of five rounds in almost the same hole. :shock:

The 91/30 rifle is capable of great accuracy but it depends on its condition and on the shooters skills. The type of ammo you are using also plays a role. Every rifle is going to be a little different.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Right ammo, practice and trigger practice and maybe a few shims here and there and you could get it to 1.5moa i am sure. Not all of these can do it but some can. I would say a 4moa is pretty easy when you get the triggers down. I prefer the open sights even though i am blind for the fun and challenge of it. :D Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Welcome to the forum!

Most of us enjoy shooting these old rifles like the soldiers who carried them shot them. The scope will not improve the rifle's grouping, but lots of practice with the iron sights will.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Welcome.. What part of the country are you in? and lets see some pics of your rifle..

jb
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Welcome to the forum and the fabulous world of Mosin Nagants.
Beardedbullitz

Post by Beardedbullitz »

welcome to the forum
-Beardedbullitz-
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:pointup: Welcome to the forum, and I agree with what the guys are telling you! :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Welcome to the forum. You are not going to get a "tack driver" with a standard sighted Mosin Nagant. It was a battle rifle designed so that a conscript soldier could be trained to hit "minute of man" (my term for a man-sized target) at 300 meters fairly consistently from a variety of shooting positions. I have a couple of M91/30's that will do much better than that from the bench with the right ammo.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:D :D Welcome to the forum and it's vast possibilities for you to get useful information! :D

A Mosin 91/30 war -produced 1939-1945 is not meant to be a sniper rifle, it is an infantry rifle with a proposed range of activity from 150 m to 300 m. The trajectory curve of a (mil) 147gr MFJ bullet is supposed to lower at 150m and be on target between 200 and 250m. That is why everybody says the Mosins shoot high at 100yards...100m.....If you know that , at the 100' range just hold over for a few more flyshits and you will be there.
A scope to add to a historical piece of arms is a hard step to take. Especially what kind of thing you are going to do:
-You change something irreversible, your rifle has just lost any value other than parts
-Your rifle can be resurrected as was, no prob.

Facit: If you want to turn your Mosin into a (Antler-Sniper :chuckles: ) tool for hunting, you got to make sure you got a clean bore first and some real range results, before you make any conversion, it could be costly.

I have a Tula 42 Round that we have shot 5 rounds into a 3x3 target at 300 m with scope guidance and open sights only......

You know, when you buy one of the milsurp 91/30s, you could get a hitter or a squeaker, that is why they are affordable right now.

My dog is barking, it's bedtime, sorry, he is the most valuable alarm clock I ever had.
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!