Just won an auction on this M38

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Aldebaran

Just won an auction on this M38

Post by Aldebaran »

To understand my enthusiasm here, you first of all have to know that the availability of military surplus rifles in Denmark is extremely scarce compared to what you fellows “over there” are used to. Due to strict regulation and control, collectors are very few and sellers even fewer but they do exist. (I think we have one or two small (part time) companies importing and selling surplus).

Well, last week I discovered an Internet auction on what was described as “Mosin Nagant 91/30”. After having checked out the pictures on the website of the auction house, I was, thanks to frequent visits to this great forum, able to see that it was an M38. They did correct their mistake after a few days of auctioning and some other bidder and I let the price crawl up. Bottom line is that I won the auction and ended up paying $185. Cheap, I believe, as that is also the usual price you pay over here for your typical “out of the crate” 91/30 wartime Izhevsk refurb.

So far the only downside is that the number on the bolt doesn't match. You couldn't tell from the pictures on the website of the auction house. Still very pleased with it though.

I just picked it up yesterday and still need to check and clean it. It's a 1941 Izhevsk. I'm not sure if it's a refurb. I can't find the usual “refurb box” from the Ukrainian arsenal stamped on the stock. There is an other box, or two boxes, in a circle – could that be it?

It does have an interesting inscription: “L.Z.A.Li” stenciled on the receiver. Googling that leads to various interesting meanings. One of which suggest it's a German capture (referring to the Linz Ordnance Depot, Austria or “Luftzeugamt, Linz”). This would make good sense as Denmark was occupied by the Germans from 1940-1945 and they left a lot of weapons behind as they left in 1945.
But perhaps someone here knows something about this?

Photos always help, so here they are:

Mosin Nagant 91/30, Izhevsk 1943
Mosin Nagant M38, Izhevsk 1941
Mountain Man

Re: Just won an auction on this M38

Post by Mountain Man »

Neat rifle. Seems to have character and I bet an interesting past.
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

You paid $185 for a beauty like that!!!! I'd say you did very well. That little carbine is gorgeous! :D
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Very nice!!! But the question is, can you buy ammo over there to make it go boom? And of course another question is, do they have firearms ranges over there where you can test it out? Looks very nice, congrats.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Aldebaran a warm welcome to the forum :welcome2: Very nice carbine you have there. The timber looks great, looks like some type
of spanish sling hanger on the front. If indeed it is a German capture, that would be a big plus. Don't see them that often. :thumbsup: :Drool1:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That looks like an original M38, not a refurb, the only time we see them over here is if the have Finnish markings on them, rarely otherwise. You are probably correct about the German wartime use, they did use captured weapons , and your information on this would be better than ours. We are paying over $200 for a M38 refurb, the Finn marked non refurbs go for three times that, any of us would have paid $185 USD for that M38, that's a nice find :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thats a great looking rifle for the price. Gorgeous!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Really a great looking rifle and a great price. It has really nice patina on it. Glad you got it. :vcool: :vcool: Looks like it might have an austrian sling hanger on it but my eyes are bad. Sweet. :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

That is a really great looking rifle, congratulations on your purchase.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Great job scoring that rifle!! Lovely stock and clean!! Im envious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Heck ya, for that price we usually find them in a M44 stock. That was a great buy. :Drool1: :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Beautiful rifle, decent buy also :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Welcome aboard and enjoy that great looking carbine. For what it's worth, I checked Lapin's 5th edition of "The Mosin-Nagant Rifle" and it had no info on the L Z A Li marking
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Welcome to the Forum. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

You got a real Gem for a great price... Congrats. :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran »

Thank you all. It's good to hear that you think I struck a good deal here.

I spent the latter part of the afternoon today cleaning it and checking up on on its general condition. Obviously it hadn't been cleaned for many, many years. It was full of very old oil but no traces of cosmoline.
Condition is good. A nice bore, no rust and firing pin protrusion and headspace is OK :thumbsup:

I also tried doing some further research on the “L.Z.A.Li” inscription. Now I doubt it has anything to do with Linz in Austria. I visited a few German forums where this inscription previously had been brought up, but the Germans didn't know of it either. :vconfused: Thanks for trying to clarify it for me Ironnewt.

Now I look forward to taking it to the range. And, @Sirex, we do have ranges here. Hunting is fairly common in Denmark. I use Hungarian surplus ammo in my 91/30 and will be using that in the M38 too :bwink:
Mosin Nagant 91/30, Izhevsk 1943
Mosin Nagant M38, Izhevsk 1941
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Welcome! That marking has come up somewhere over here on a post or two on another forum. I am currently searching for your information. Nice looking rifle with a few questions to be answered about it! Congrats on a great buy! M38's are not found a lot over here as someone posted and un refurbed ones are very rare. I have not seen but maybe a handful of them! Most of the M38's found that are refurbed have been very heavily used and are on the ragged edge of being decent shooters over here. Thanks for posting your rifle and sharing pictures with us! Bill :wink:
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

you got a real beauty and a great price too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-1973