Can anyone explain this? Why?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rollndice83

Can anyone explain this? Why?

Post by rollndice83 »

So I usually browse eBay for Mosin Nagant item's and lately I've been seeing quite a few barrels for sale and the prices people are paying just for the barrel make no sense. I mean if you buy one your making a gun something it never was and you risk permanently damaging the gun.

I just found this list for a Tula ex sniper C N marked barrel and the auction is up to $162.00!! You can buy a complete gun a Tula ex sniper at that on GB for that price. Anyone else think it is insane? Who's paying that?
Here's the link Tula ex sniper

Other examples I watched a Tula ex dragoon barrel sell for $100?
I just bought a 1928 Tula ex dragoon complete gun in cosmoline for $139 LOL.

And last but not least there are two VKT M39 barrels for $275 and $325?? Again why you can buy an M39 for just a little more.

I have to know who and why you would spend that for a barrel? Anyone think this is logical?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Can anyone explain this? Why?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No it isn't logical, but there are people who will buy them anyway. Some are owners of Bubba rifles who want to return them to military and think all there is too it is to unscrew the old barrel and screw in the new one. If these auctions came with instructions on exactly what is required in changing a barrel I suspect sales would plummet, but there is a sucker born every minute, and none of them do their homework before buying.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:No it isn't logical, but there are people who will buy them anyway. Some are owners of Bubba rifles who want to return them to military and think all there is too it is to unscrew the old barrel and screw in the new one. If these auctions came with instructions on exactly what is required in changing a barrel I suspect sales would plummet, but there is a sucker born every minute, and none of them do their homework before buying.
How about that . I bet you half of them will not be able to remove the old barrel and if they do they will most likely ruin the gun in the process. Plus installing another barrel is no easy task plus headspace issues to deal with. Your right though a sucker is born every minute and just a quick google search or a bit of research would go a long way. I'd like to believe if I came across a gun that had been screwed with I'd be able to notice something was off with it with a keen eye but it may be hard to tell with some. Man that makes me POed
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I would not go near that or any other this guy has. It looks to me as if the barrel has been polished and also there is tool marks on the shank. Probly trying to remove the crap done while taking the barrel off. :roll: :angry4:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:I would not go near that or any other this guy has. It looks to me as if the barrel has been polished and also there is tool marks on the shank. Probly trying to remove the crap done while taking the barrel off. :roll: :angry4:

Exactly and I would be willing to bet that barrel is from an ex-sniper on top of it. I mean who in their right mind would part out a complete sniper simply due to the loss in value. If so the chances are strong this barrel was no longer accurate enough to meet sniper duty standards not to mention it was considered a sniper and checked to be one while mounted on the receiver it used to me mated to. That combination could have been the main factor in this barrel being put in to sniper duty in the first place.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The asshole was one of the people who bought Mosins to strip for parts, he probably had a pile of barreled receivers sitting around and realized at some point what the CH stamp was about.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hawk99TA wrote:I don't get it. :vconfused:
Someone is selling a barrel taken off a Tula ex sniper on one of the auction sites. They sell these barrels to folks who have a bubba rifle they want to restore, or something they want to upgrade. These people most of the time have no clue how difficult it s to swap a barrel or the technical issues involved in setting it's headspace properly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Is it the same mentality car thieves who strip cars have? The total $ of the seperated parts exceeds the cost of the whole?
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The asshole was one of the people who bought Mosins to strip for parts, he probably had a pile of barreled receivers sitting around and realized at some point what the CH stamp was about.
This is exactly what a few people are doing on eBay. They are buying Mosins and just stripping them down and selling parts. The parts do seem to sell well on eBay for decent prices. I bought a few firing pins, extractors, screws and other parts to have as a spair so in case something wears out or breaks which is most likely not to happen with the exception of a firing pin breaking or screw I'd just like to have backups so I can keep all my rifles in working condition seeing I shoot them all. And with these parts I bought off eBay one person has sent me the CAI Mosin Nagant manuals that come with surplus rifles so they are most certainly parting them out. If you add up the parts to build up a Mosin from the stock up by the prices on eBay your about double the price of a surplus 91/30 so they are making money doing something quite simple...stripping guns bastids!

They are just removing historic rifles from the market and destroying the history of the firearm just to make a buck. And I agree they most likely have a pile of barrels and dig through and try to sell the more desirable barrels at a premium. :pointdown:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

One of the reasons why I am looking forward to the $200 91/30, it will put a stop to this shit by taking away the profit incentive from people who do not give a shit about history and are only in it for the money.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Stripping down rifles for parts has gone on for years and not just Mosins it is a part of life like it or not I am afraid. We all buy parts from them at times. I bought parts Mosins for years that is how the parts bin has stayed fairly full around here and many rifles have been restored or returned to operating condition. I have replaced two barrels many years ago when I came upon cut barreled Mosins of value and had the right barrel to go on it. The first one was a piece of cake as it came apart easy and went together again just fine. I still have the rifle and it shoots just fine and unless I told you while you had it in your hands you would never know it. There are no marks or signs of a battle doing it. The next one I would rather forget for I found out just how many things could go wrong and eventually destroyed the whole rifle screwing with it. It refused to come apart and required machine work to get it back together and it was never right so I destropyed it so no one would get burned by buying it or shooting it. I am not proud of myself for ever even trying to do it. The only redeeming value to the whole projects is they were both cut down sporters when I got them. I put way too much money, time, effort, parts, and not to mention I destroyed two shooting sporting rifles when I got done with at least one of them. It can be done but I sure don't recommend it to anyone and I had access to torches and the right vices and wrenches. It is tough to get the new barrels back in register so the front and rear sights are usable and every time some one writes a post about their sights being off I begin to wonder about how they got that way. The steel in Mosins even with lubricant tends to gaul very easy when you are screwing with the barrels they get stuck or refuse to line up and be tight on the witness marks. Both cases required expert machine and gunsmith work which I got gratus because of good friends, God forbid I would have had to pay for the time I put in on this ill guided and thought out project. The result is I have a $150 Mosin which I would never sell or be proud of and show off. Now what sense does that make? None to me anymore and I like to think I am somewhat wiser and more principled shall we say. This is another reason why I go ballistic on people restoring snipers and such. Things like the question the other day on another board about making a Cadet rifle fireable freak me out. Why people think about doing it is beyond me I am afraid.

End of Subject for me I am afraid. I have fretted about these projects for many a year and am not proud to admit I even tried it but others I am afraid do and may be the ones buying the parts in question. I do sell complete rifles and receivers together from time to time as the parts rifles get completely taken apart but most of those barrels are in sad shape and what people do with them I have no clue? Forgive me Father for I have Sinned! Bill :oops:
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:D :D :D Thank you, Bill, for that post :D :D :D

It seems to me that the people of this great country are some of the most inventive humans on this earth, if it comes to finding business opportunities.

Doing the gun parts thing is certainly not new, but there is a "Dark Cloud" right behind it, if we talk about auctions. :big shock:

I''ll put it out in an abbreviated version and you'll understand the reason why: Reversing the refurb and profit from it. :big shock:

That is why I'll never ever buy any kind of gun on the mentioned site, parts if needed or as precaution, but no gun. :angry4:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Well here is a new auction I found this morning. You don't see these often because most people are smarter than to break the law and violate BATF laws and guidelines right in the open on eBay. Here is a moron selling a Hex receiver with sear and trigger still attached!!! Wow!!! There ya go kids! Now you can be any age and with no paperwork or restrictions buy a Mosin Nagant receiver on eBay and all you have to do is win this auction here Hex Receiver on Ebay! and then slap on a $150 91/30 barrel ,stock,triggerguard, and a set of screws which are all available on eBay and you got yourself a high powered rifle with no state or federal paperwork or background check. Ain't that great!

Hope this person knows how many laws they are breaking selling a receiver. EBay doesn't even allow triggers or sears and especially not receivers and there is one for sale. Who would of thought you could buy every single part through eBay to build a 91/30 firearm with not even an age verification check.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Thank you for not linking to the live auction, I clicked the link and found myself looking at designer purses, not really my thing :) This is far from the first time this sort of thing has cropped up on eBay, there was one a couple of weeks back that was pointed out here, at least that one was for an antique dated receiver.
Theodore Roosevelt
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Thank you for not linking to the live auction, I clicked the link and found myself looking at designer purses, not really my thing :) This is far from the first time this sort of thing has cropped up on eBay, there was one a couple of weeks back that was pointed out here, at least that one was for an antique dated receiver.
Lol whoops :D :lol: well I guess being directed to purses is safer than an illegal sale auction on eBay. I guess is that receiver happened to be an antique they could get away with it but the chances its 1898 or older are less than more I guess but even with that antique a kid could most certainly build a high caliber military rifle with that part. It's just scary. I'm not one for big gun control talk or gun laws and I'm a big time 2nd Amendment supporter and NRA member but I don't think you should have any chance to build a firearm at any age from parts off an online auction site. That being said though it is not common to see a receiver on eBay .
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Once eBay notices it, if they do then it will vanish, it's against their policy. It happens every day on hundreds of auction sites and classifieds, even forums. The Batfe can't police the entire web for this sort of thing, they target the larger operators who come to their attention, or people they can trace an illegal sale back to after the weapon was used in a crime. They land hard on these people and hope that the example is enough to dissuade others from trying it. It doesn't work well, despite their efforts there is a booming black market gun trade going on, criminals and those with money who want a weapon right now provide the incentive for this market.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Thank you for not linking to the live auction, I clicked the link and found myself looking at designer purses, not really my thing This is far from the first time this sort of thing has cropped up on eBay, there was one a couple of weeks back that was pointed out here, at least that one was for an antique dated receiver.

And what may I ask is so wrong about Designer Purses> I like them to carry my frilly bits and pieces to the range.....style when shooting is NEVER out of place. I learned this on Real Housewives of Atlanta......

I'M BACK! :chuckles: :devil2: :chuckles:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The black powder shooters call it a possibles bag, it's for your flint pick, bullets, and maybe to stuff a bird in if you shoot one. They do look like purses and the fringed style used on some of them resembles purses women used in the 70's . I have one for display, but never actually wear it, my friends are just waiting to see something like that to pounce and the end of it will never come :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Im always dropping crap getting out of the jeep walking down my sidewalk to the house,in parking lots at stores and pretty much anywhere and everywhere. I carry way too many things on me ans could really put to use a good man bag but I just can't bring myself to do it... :roll: Nor can I find a way to cut back on what I carry..Wallet,multiple purpose tool/knife,tactical pen, tactical flashlight, carry gun,extra mag, smokes and lighter. And all that crap i carry everyday but most of it gets stashed in the vehicle. Just trying to figure out is there a man bag that's acceptable? A bug out bag may scare the neighbors ans a fanny pack ain't my style. Need a small low profile maybe even that can be concealed under a heavy coat or sweat shirt during fall winter and early spring cool tactical man bag that you can stash cash,IDs,weapon and other essentials.

Anyway that listing has mysteriously disappeared. And its 10:52 AM on a sunny fall morning and I'm sitting at the parking lot of the outdoor rifle range getting ready to get some shooting in. :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Drop them smokes and lighter and you can carry more money to the store for more rifles. :thumbsup: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)